shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think??

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Re: Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think

rough setting update.
diamond looks slightly yellow to me, but that's to be expected with a K color i guess.

20141027_040553.jpg

20141027_040113.jpg

20141027_040432.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very cool!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!!!
Are you already thrilled with this rough setting? It will be stunning.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So excited to see the finished ring! :appl:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

derbygal|1416421601|3786570 said:
So excited to see the finished ring! :appl:

Thanks. this has me both excited and very anxious.

david is actually re-casting my ring right now. we both didn't like how the ring turned out the first time :wall: , then we experimented with removing the gallery and adding a platinum backing.

so i'm waiting for him to do the second round of casting with a high polished back and fingers crossed it turns out okay this time.

:( it's making me slightly nervous but i'm so glad that he offered to re-cast it because he didnt like how it turned out.
customer service is definitely up there :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, David is a Saint. Great customer service indeed!!
I am looking forward to see how it turns out. I expect that it will be stunning :appl:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

That is fantastic customer service! I look forward to seeing the final product!

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

Beautiful ring! Can't wait to see the finished product!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

What didn't you like about how it turned out the first time?

amaryllis

Rough_Rock

What amazing customer service - can't wait to see how it turns out!

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

Class Act... seriously. I've read such great things about him on here!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dawn,
Does it mean you are back to using a metal plate that you didn't want initially?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416494629|3787197 said:
Dawn,
Does it mean you are back to using a metal plate that you didn't want initially?
ya... both david and grace told me i don't need a metal plate at the beginning, and they recommended against it, so i trusted their opinions.
and i didnt want to have to take out the diamond every time i get dust under it

i sent pictures with and without backing to grace and she preferred the one with the back.
and david said he took it to 10+jewelers and they were all 50/50 on the backing (can't believe he did that <3) so it was my call.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

emmebee|1416452364|3786919 said:
What didn't you like about how it turned out the first time?
there was one melee stone where the split shanks joins to one shank that was ABNORMALLY large which looked super weird to me. i asked him to have that changed.

also just the general top-down view of the stone with the gallery looked really odd. something that ps-ers warned me before but i didnt listen.... :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

also i was told rose cuts face up whiter, so i didnt think my K colored stone would look too too warm in the platinum setting but it looked really yellow which is part of the reason why i'm putting in a backing on it now.

it's been such a roller coaster ride with this ring and setting design, i really hope it turns out nice cuz i've seen how bad it can be lol

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Will the stone still in plat or did you change up metals??

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Niel|1416504737|3787291 said:
Will the stone still in plat or did you change up metals??
i asked david if it'll look better in yellow or rose gold but he said it will look the most white in platinum so we're sticking to that.
he's gonna make the back plate separate so he can give it a "super polish". and he'll try to make the halo as air tight as possible so it "fits like a glove".
i think he's setting the stone this week so hopefully i get to see pictures sooooon :appl: :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm curious, how much space will there be between the back plate and the flat side of the diamond?

I assume there must be some space for cleaning but I was curious how much he will give you.
I would insist on enough clearance to get a brush with soft long bristles in there.
I'm skeptical that an ultrasonic or steam cleaner will always get it clean no matter what got in there.

Dirt, film, hand lotion, trapped there will look horrendous.
Part of the design of such a ring must accommodate a reliable cleaning method.

I'm looking forward to the final ring.
I'm sure it's going to look really cool and unique. :dance:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1416505334|3787304 said:
I'm curious, how much space will there be between the back plate and the flat side of the diamond?

I assume there must be some space for cleaning but I was curious how much he will give you.
I would insist on enough clearance to get a brush with soft long bristles in there.
I'm skeptical that an ultrasonic or steam cleaner will always get it clean no matter what got in there.

Dirt, film, hand lotion, trapped there will look horrendous.
Part of the design of such a ring must accommodate a reliable cleaning method.

I'm looking forward to the final ring.
I'm sure it's going to look really cool and unique. :dance:

I got the impression that he's gonna leave no space...which is why he mentioned that I can always remove the diamond if I wish to clean it.

But its starting to sound like a really bad idea....?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm not crazy about having it totally enclosed because stuff will get in there and will be nigh impossible to get out, and you don't want to remove the diamond every time you want to get it super clean.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1416505731|3787310 said:
I'm not crazy about having it totally enclosed because stuff will get in there and will be nigh impossible to get out, and you don't want to remove the diamond every time you want to get it super clean.

+1

This maker sounds like a really nice guy, but clueless about important and basic stuff.
1. Instead of talking you out of it and risking losing your business he just went ahead and made a ring for a rose cut with no backing, on which he now has lost money.
2. He plans to make another ring with a backing but with no clearance between the backing and the diamond for cleaning out the gunk that WILL get in there and look horrendous. He's risking you hating your unclean-able ring and making a third setting ... at another loss.
3. Quote: " he'll try to make the halo as air tight as possible so it "fits like a glove"." This demonstrates colossal ignorance.
The first time you wash your hands soap will enter the gap.
4. He thinks removing the diamond when cleaning is necessary is reasonable? :o :knockout:
That's craycray!
Are you this guy's first customer?

BTW I doubt he showed it to 10 jewelers and 5 said they liked it and 5 said they didn't.
That really sounds like a political thing to say to accommodate your feelings, which were in favor of something very very rare ... a windowing diamond set in a ring with no backing.

I'd be worried about what else this guy doesn't know, so I'd cut my losses now, get my diamond back and find another jeweler.

Whoever makes the ring ... if you get clearance for cleaning I'd recommend these two kinds of artist brushes.
The wrong kind of brush, like a toothbrush, will not reach far enough into the space between the diamond and the backing because the bristles are too rigid and there are too many of them.

I recommend buying two kinds of artist brushes.
1. White sable watercolor brushes, the flat shape.
2. Hog-bristle oil brushes - select the flat long-bristle ones.

The white sable is synthetic and low-priced; it's soft but rigid enough to not just bend and refuse to enter the gap between the diamond and the backing, which is what natural expensive sable would do.
The hog bristles will be much more rigid for removing stubborn gunk.
Feel free to snip away some/most of the bristles so the remaining bristles can reach into the gap you're trying to clean.
Also be aware of protecting that high-polish backing surface from scratches.
White sable and hog won't scratch it, but things like sand from the beach or garden dirt will if pushed around by any brush during cleaning.

If I had such a ring I'd consider starting the cleaning process with a WaterPik water jet to remove anything abrasive from the gap ... but that's just OCD me. I doubt many people would go through the trouble ... but after 30 years my ring would still have a high-polished surface under the diamond.

White sable:

Hog

screen_shot_2014-11-20_at_6.png

screen_shot_2014-11-20_at_10.png

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

i really didnt want to post some of these pictures because they looked really bad to me ( i mean....i literally went to grace and cried about how badly her pretty rosecut turned out)
i do share kenny's concern about him being very nice but not knowledgeable enough about how to set this particular diamond.

i'm going to summarize the whole process with pictures below and i'm only attaching the pictures that are relevant or i have issues with (mostly top down view as it looks perfectly find from the side)

CAD:

WAX MODEL:

WAX MODEL with DIAMOND:

ROUGH CAST with DIAMOND
you can see that the diamond's warm colors are starting to show here and the gallery design is magnified and doesnt look very nice.

_512.png

20141009_0.jpg

20141016_0.jpg

20141027_040418.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

PAVE WORK:
this is the really big melee stones i mentioned in an earlier post. it looks especially bad at this angle because it's completely black under the table

COMPLETED RING - ORIGINAL VERSION (WITH GALLERY)
i think these were the two pictures that made me cry...
the diamond looks so dull and dead, nothing like how it looked in grace's original pictures.

COMPLETED RING - REMOVED GALLERY
i then requested to have the gallery removed.
phew, looked much better.

20141106_081628.jpg

_24421.jpg

_24422.jpg

20141106_082323.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1416508453|3787350 said:
... you can see that the diamond's warm colors are starting to show here ...

FYI, while having a backing is IMO the only way to set a rose cut, it will increase the warmth compared to no backing.
It has to because the backing is a mirror reflecting the light back up through the diamond.
The light will travel through the diamond material twice.
Twice the material = twice the warmth ... unless it is a D diamond.

Forcing the light to travel through the diamond more is how they strengthen the color in the FCD world using cuts that do that and setting cups under the diamond.

Just something to be aware of.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1416508971|3787359 said:
i think these were the two pictures that made me cry ...
the diamond looks so dull and dead, nothing like how it looked in grace's original pictures.

That's because nothing was behind the diamond in most of Grace's pics, which I'm pretty sure we pointed out.
Also the lighting can totally change the look of a diamond.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny,
Shouldn't a white metal plate behind the diamond make it look whiter (because it is picking up the colour of the white metal)?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

COMPLETED RING - NO GALLERY, with BANDS
i asked to see pictures of the ring with some wedding bands to see how the bands will show through the ring.
good thing it's a split shank, you cant really see the shank under the diamond at all.
the different lighting are totally throwing me off here, even the model's hands changes colors so drastically..

COMPLETED RING - NO GALLERY, with BACK PLATE
i asked grace, she said she preferred the one with the back plate (mom walked in and also agrees lol)

and i JUST emailed david to ask for a gap in between the diamond and the back plate. we'll see what happens.

20141107_035935.jpg

20141107_040015.jpg

platback2.jpg

platback3.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1416509589|3787368 said:
Kenny,
Shouldn't a white metal plate behind the diamond make it look whiter (because it is picking up the colour of the white metal)?

No.
Look in a mirror.
You don't see the mirror.
You see what it's reflecting.
An uncolored mirror cannot alter the color of the reflection.
A mirror cannot not make your blue shirt look whiter.
Highly-polished metal that is a whiter metal (actually a neutral gray) does the same thing.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1416509868|3787373 said:
Chrono|1416509589|3787368 said:
Kenny,

No.
Look in a mirror.
You don't see the mirror.
You see what it's reflecting.
An uncolored mirror cannot alter the color of the reflection.
A mirror cannot not make your blue shirt look whiter.
Highly-polished metal that is a whiter metal (actually a neutral gray) does the same thing.
Should I keep the plate and just ask him to leave a gap? Or what would you guys recommend?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is just my opinion and what I would do if that's my ring:
1. Keep the plate and make a gap.
2. If he cannot make the gap, I'd rather forego the plate.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416510310|3787380 said:
This is just my opinion and what I would do if that's my ring:
1. Keep the plate and make a gap.
2. If he cannot make the gap, I'd rather forego the plate.
do you think the plate makes it look better? It looks a little murky to me and makes it look kinda blurred. Or maybe he just didn't clean the diamond...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results