shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got gem. report. Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2004 8:28:49 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
If I remember correctly, Joe did use a .45 in that situation.

I forget the number of protagonists, but they were surprised their potential lamb turned out to be a lion...
Yep .45
3 perps... iced one other 2 got arrested.

What do you know about the Brillianscope / Lambadaspec disaster as Garry called it?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Vcamayd...

Re your question: "What are my options at this point if i want to continue looking?...."

I would just...do it by the numbers. That is...maybe others here either in the trade, or experienced consumers can advise whether in your particular situation or not, its considered that a sale was made, or not. (Although, if posession is 9/10th of the law, and if they now have your cash, that's convincing). Whether or not you are in limbo...and despite the fact that you may not have researched this in advance of your relationship with the jeweler...they probably do have a return policy for even purchased goods, so the thing to do would be to determine

a) what is the return policy, and
b) when does the clock start ticking...though reasonably, you may have a valid handshake relationship.

Beyond that, a few general thoughts.

A consumer publication recently suggested that when buying a roof for a house, on average, the more estimates you get, the better deal you get. But, the improvement in numbers goes down with each estimate. Also, as is usually true in a buying situation, you have a situation that is time sensitive.

I think you're always better off when you have options, though again, this is all relative, and it was against the options in your original shopping experience that you selected the diamond you did. Then again, you hadn't run the gauntlet with Pricescope before you got very close to making the purchase you've made. Consider though....without having gone to the appraiser (you asked this question before...no...with a GIA cert, unless your jeweler has crown & pavilion measuring apparatus, you have to go that step to learn what you did) you couldn't go the next step in making the evaluation you have done.

Without a doubt, it appears the option Ana found trumps the one I found as an alternative you might want to consider, even still. (it appears she had the good sense to not be satisfied with F, but consider E diamonds also as an alternative. Doing so, you get one more alternative, to consider as well, using the cut comparison charts, however, I think between these 2 the first Ana chose is probably better, with the greater clarity of SI1 vs SI2, and despite AGS0 ranking over AGS1...which I feel the HCA score trumps, but others might debate that.) Either way, if you choose to delay, and want to entertain the hassle in doing so, it seems as though you've got a at least a clear option to consider.

It's possible next week, after you'll have cancelled the current deal, and have contracted with WF for their stone, you'll discover a different website: Pricescoop, The Real Deal, and understand the real and better way to evaluate diamonds yet unknown here.

I just doubt it.

You probably have a lovely stone already. Also, importantly, remember to keep your eyes on the prize, and don't let this shopping business put the cart before the horse with respect to the popping the question, if that might come into play. However, if you want to entertain delaying even slightly your purchase to put another option into play, so you have something to compare your first choice to, you might prefer to do that. Confirm -- even with the help of a friend -- if your existing vendor has a standing return policy, confirm WF has this referenced diamond still available to you...and see if you've got enough cash to float to pursue your options.

You're always advantaged when you have BATNA.

Best of wishes!

vcamayd

Rough_Rock
Quote:
[The first time they robbed Joe Tenhagen, a Miami gem dealer, the bad guys used the oldest trick in the book - they slit one of the tires on his car, causing a slow leak. When Tenhagen, driving home, pulled over to change the flat, the thieves sneaked up, smashed a window and got away with $30,000 worth of precious stones and equipment. "I was a wild man," Tenhagen says. "They had outsmarted a street-smart guy." The cops asked Tenhagen if he wanted to offer a reward. "Reward?" he said. "I''ll kill the bastards."

He meant it. Six weeks later the gang came to his house to rob him again and Tenhagen, yelling in fury, pulled out a .45 and chased them to their getaway car. Tenhagen, who said he saw one of the perps aim a revolver at him, fired 10 shots and fatally wounded one of the thieves. The other two men, both illegal aliens from Colombia, were caught and went to jail. They will be deported when they get out, probably sometime in 2002 or 2003.]

Way to go Joe!!! They can get a good guy once but when the going gets tough the tough get going!!

vcamayd

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ira Z. That was a very well thought out and written answer to my question. I'll call him tomorrow and see exactly what the return policy is. They should have one, especially for an engagement ring that the owner (my GF) hasn't even seen yet. I will understand if the store want compensation for setting the diamond and even replacing the head on the setting. I don't think there will be a problem. They're very reputable and have been doing business there for over 35 years or so.

I have thought about this a lot and I think I'll just keep the stone I have and try to keep my eye on the ball (or as you mentioned, avoid putting the cart before the horse). All this is for my piece of mind since I like quality. There's something nice about telling the girl you're going to marry that this is the diamond of her dreams, but then again, what if she wants a 1 ct and not a 1.5ct??? I only wish I had learned of this site sooner. I think i've made my deal and should honor the sale. Either way they do have a trade in policy, similar to the one at mayors so i'm sure they wont have a problem if I go back and make a change within a reasonable time frame.

Thanks for your great help!

VC

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2004 11:52:33 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Pricescoop, The Real Deal, and understand the real and better way to evaluate diamonds yet unknown here.
This Pricescoop and The Real Deal ??
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ana,

Maybe I had this site in mind...

and a new paradigm!

Know how Garry debates with GIA & AGS on how far you are from the stone to view it? Maybe we are really holding the wrong end of the stick, need to invest in specifically dull diamonds, and change our eyes so that they appear to be brilliant. So, why just stop at brilliant diamonds...take the same money to make the whole world more brilliant.

You know what they say, to ease a good run, don''t pave the roads all over the world, just put on a pair of shoes

Lasik 000 anyone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
echidna.gif

Would it be wrong to say that the level of detail relevant for a cutter may not be more than head ache down the counter? All those imaging intricacies make sense - but are far more important for the professional users of Diam-Calc than for me.
It's fun to listen though. Especially since the same guys would also set diamonds upside down for fun
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results