shape
carat
color
clarity

Judging without angles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

toolsmack2

Rough_Rock
I''ve learned so much from this site and I know that angles are crucial to a stones performance.

But I have a friend who works for a B&M and she is trying so hard to help me pick a stone but she is limited by her EGL or GIA certs and can''t get me any more info on the stones.

This is all I have.

1.21 F VS1
Depth - 61.5%
Table - 58%
Girdle - Thin to Medium
Culet - None
Polish - Ex
Symmetry - VG
Floures - Faint

6.83-6.86 x 4.21

From this can anybody tell me anything about the stone? Since I showed her what I could get from the internet vendors here she tried to price match it at $9,500 which is excellent I think for a B&M but I''m just not sure how to judge the cut without the numbers. And I live to far away to see it in person.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jared

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
If you get the crown and pavillion %'s from the seller, you can use the HCA to get a guestimate. The score won't be as accurate, but it will give you an idea what you are working with.

Say, once you crunch the HCA using %'s, you get a score of .8, you're probably pretty safe. A 0.8 using 's might translate into 1.5 or so using angles. But, if you get a score of 2.5 using the %'s, then you might want to have the seller get a Sarin or OGI analysis. Or, as an alternative, locate an appraiser or lab that has a Sarin, make purchase contingent on a satisfactory appraisal, and take the diamond for an independent evaluation.
1.gif

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Dear Jared,
I'm in process of purchasing a 1.34 RB F VS2 for $9800. The rest of the specs are simlar to the diamond you are talking about (Depth 52, Table 57, Girdle T-M, Cutlet None, Polish Good, Symmetry Very Good, Flour None) I was able to get a sarin run but haven't looked at the results yet. My jeweler said the numbers were good though
eek.gif
. Anyway, my stone is at a B&M too, so just wanted to get you something to compare it to. Given the size difference, I'm not so sure your stone for $9500 is such a great buy without more information on the cut. Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
angryfire.gif
, sorry... Isn't that Ideal Scope something like $30 + FedEx? It must be worth it. If all you need is to judge one or a few stones as opposed to sieving a whole database, this little extra 0.1% expense might be great. And the scope does not have to come from the end of the world either, there are US versions too... What would do you think of this idea?

12.gif
However, if you rightly want extra info on performance after seeing the diamond (something that us, poor internet shoppers have skipped) and the red Scope pics remain key: why not ditch the B&M premium altogether and get those stones, cut quality reports and all, right from the Net? Just a thought...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are having a friend from a B&M try to match pricing you found online with a stone that you don't have any real relevant information on and that you can't see before you buy? She can't get you a Sarin for $10k? Ridiculous. What is the benefit of this? You don't get to see the stone AND you don't get more information?

I would never buy from a 'friend'. Why? Because they may not even know it when they screw you and then you are stuck because they are your friend.You are on here doing the research...why don't you conduct your own parallel internet search and see what you come up with that rivals whatever this friend is finding. At least then you know what comparative type stones are out there for the same price.

IMO paying more for a B&M stone that doesn't have 1/2 as much information as some of the online stones do is not where I'd want to put my $10k. Esp if I didn't even get to see the stone! Am I missing something?

Lastly...that stone seems a bit deep. A well cut 1.20c stone will have a diameter of around 6.9mm. This stone is at about 6.85 as an average. So the stone may look more like a 1.15c than a 1.21c. Just something also to note.
2.gif
If you had more numbers...possibly others could tell you more and the HCA could give it's opinion as well.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results