shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelers Loupe to see Laser inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Cannot see laser inscription with 10X loupe. Will a 30X loupe do the job? I do not have microscope, so can''t get 60X easily without going to jewelry store. thanks.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Baltneu,

For a full panoply of comment, do a search here on "laser inscription," and see you''re maxed out on 300 plus comments.

The range is quite broad, from comments I think from Niceice suggesting the uselessness of this, and RockDoc''s perspective that at best they can be removed and replaced (true), to my comments that for $80 and a Google search on laser inscription loupe, you can get a custom jobby.

I got a 20X, which does work for me, as I experienced the same problem, although I''ve witnessed a jeweler read my inscription with a 10X. Dave Atlas elsewhere gives other advice somewhere here on some of the characteristics you may want to look for in a loupe, to insure it has the optical qualities you''ll want. Though I got mine for less than $20 with another Google search, not sure if it does possess those best characteristics. 30X, as I think Dave also describes elsewhere, can cause problems for reading properly, so don''t assume that higher magnification is better.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I can see my inscription with my 10x loupe, and that''s with 40+ eyes!
10.gif
Are you certain of where it is located?

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
No way I can see it, the "black" in the inscription is gone due to the cleaning they did after the ring was cleaned by what ever process they used. the last time I saw the inscription was at the appraisers under a 60X microscope.

So the question remains, can anyone see the inscription with a 20 or 30X loupe, is it strong enough or do I need a microscope with 60X? thanks.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly think it depends on the size and shape of the diamond. My number is half hidden by a prong and its very difficult to see at 10x (.75 RB). At the same time a princess the same size is easier to see at 10x.

Do a search if you arent getting the answer you would like. When i searched before on this subject 10-30x seemed to be the range people had. Id say go with a 30x... whats the worst it could be... EASIER to read the number? I think 60x is over kill unless you plan on looking at it everyday for hours.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Update:

I bought a 30X loupe and can now see the inscription, but I must admit it takes work and not easy, you have to get the right light and right angle of the girdle to see it. But, it was fun finally seeing it again.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hold it up to a light, or outside in nice light without direct sun, and make it so the light "backlights" and shines through, I cansee it with a 10x that way.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
With a regular loupe I could not locate the GIA laser inscriptions. I have only been able to located the inscription with a microscope at either 10X and 60X. I actually have a microscope but I would not reccomend getting one just to see the laser incription. You can always take it to a jeweler and they will show it to you for free.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
ame
After I finally found it with the 30x loupe, I tried the 10x, knowing where it was, still could not see it. Well, atleast I can see it now, kind of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results