shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler to set a pre purchased diamond and setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I found a setting that I like and that is in our price range through an online jeweler who is located on the opposite coast from me. He said that he is not comfortable having me send him my diamond to be set. He would like to send the setting to us and have us find a local jeweler to set the stone. It is a 4 prong eternity style setting in platinum.

Is this a bad idea? My gut feeling is yes. I don''t know if a local jeweler would like me to bring in a diamond and a setting that I didn''t purchase from him/ her. Also, are there risks involved with having a pre-made setting (although it would be made to order from the diamond specs on the GIA report).

Thanks for any advice or experiences you have to share!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought for you. You might try contacting the independent appraisers in your area. There are several. Sometimes appraisers work with a smith that can set the diamond for you. You can have the diamond and setting evaluated, get the diamond set, and have your finished ring appraised all in one place. If the appraisers don''t work with a smith, they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who does quality work.
1.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your great advice. I truly appreciate it.

I am in the Los Angeles area, so I know that there has to be someone here who can do the setting. It is just scary because I don''t know who to trust.

I think I''ll put up a separate post looking for referrals as Neil suggested.

Thanks so much for your responses!
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results