shape
carat
color
clarity

Jared damaged my hand engraved setting, help!

elevenbee

Rough_Rock
New member so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

i bought a setting from blue Nile and got my diamond set at Jareds. During this process my ring was damaged. They were not willing to purchase a replacement from blue Nile but offered to either give me double the value in store credit or have a cast made of the ring and have it fabricated.

The ring is hand engraved and my concern is that the detail will be lost due to the casting process vs. the hand engraving on the original.

Is this something I need to bring up or are my concerns somewhat unfounded. The ring is platinum if that helps and I've included stock images as well as the actual ring after it was set with my stone. I just don't want to go through the hassle of waiting for a ring to be recast only to be disappointed in a copy that lacks the detail I loved about the original.

_31773.jpg

_31774.jpg

_31775.jpg

_31776.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think your concerns are unfounded. Are they even allowed to make an exact replica?? If so then you could get in writing what would be the recourse if you weren't satisfied with the new setting? Maybe think about what would satisfy you if they didn't get the new one right and negotiate for that.

Also, when you initially discussed having them set the stone in a different vendor's setting, did they explain to you what risks there were and what your options would be if damage occurred?

Sorry this happened, I'm sure you're disappointed.

elevenbee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

I had the same question about replication but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that if it's an option they gave that it's a viable one.

Honestly I didn't even consider the possibility of damage occurring during this process. I filed it under routine work right next to what could go wrong.

They've been fairly easy and accommodating. My concern is really just about possible loss of detail and how to articulate my concerns properly.

Is hand engraving after the casting process a natural next step or are these mutually exclusive things? What should I ask for in order to ensure my expectations of detail are met?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering that it is an easy setting job, yet they damaged the ring, I'm not sure I would trust them to be able to make a good replacement setting with high quality hand engraving! In short, I don't trust their bench to work on any of my jewellery. Hand engraving is done after the ring is made.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435752419|3897299 said:
Considering that it is an easy setting job, yet they damaged the ring, I'm not sure I would trust them to be able to make a good replacement setting with high quality hand engraving! In short, I don't trust their bench to work on any of my jewellery. Hand engraving is done after the ring is made.

This is exactly what occurred to me too.

What does your receipt/Jared store policy say about who bears liability for damage to owner-supplied setting when Jared is mounting their own diamond?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435752419|3897299 said:

Agree with Chrono. I wouldn't trust Jareds. Take your ring and find a trusted jeweler and see what they say can be done. Take the credit and come back and buy some nice gold earrings.

elevenbee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone.

After speaking to Jared reps a few rings up from the store manager they are working on a resolution that involves buying the ring from blue Nile and some form of store credit as further recompense.

After voicing my concerns about possible loss of detail on the engraving they agreed that that course of action introduces more possible problems; I'm also working on a timeline that doesn't really lend itself well to possible redesigns/remakes.

Will post again with the eventual resolution; I'm just happy that they're working with me and that there is apparently a precedent. This has been a headache I really wasn't anticipating. I've had to put off my proposal so I just hope I'm compensated for that along with the intrinsic value of the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elevenbee|1435768527|3897392 said:
After speaking to Jared reps a few rings up from the store manager they are working on a resolution that involves buying the ring from blue Nile and some form of store credit as further recompense.

This would be the best solution if they decide on it. Good luck and keep us posted.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to add - pretty setting! I hope this is resolved for you in a fair and timely manner; it would be a shame for such a pretty setting to be compromised.

Good luck!

ETA I have to say, too, it looks to me as though the prongs are uneven and slightly off-center - especially the bottom left prong in the last photo. Likewise, the top left prong seems to be protruding further than the rest, and it looks to me as though it may not be actually touching the stone (this is more common than you might think in poorly set rings). If it were me, I'd be looking at getting a full refund from Jared's for the ring and getting someone else to set it. Perhaps they could also slim down the prongs a trifle? I'm pretty sure David Klass would do that for you.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jared is just the worst. I'm sorry this happened to you. I had them do a bad job with a ring too.

elevenbee

Rough_Rock
Well I got cut a check for the full value of my ring and what essentially turned out to be around $500 in store credit.

Cant say whether that's fair or not but I'm just happy to get past this and on with life. Thank you to everyone that replied.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results