shape
carat
color
clarity

James Meyer + halo?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I''m STILL searching high and low for inspiration on my setting (for a JBEG cushion). I have looked through dozens upon dozens upon dozens of pages of rings and I think I''m going to go blind from all of the bling before I come to any conclusions!
28.gif

I thought I was going to use a SS setting as inspiration, changing a few things about the shanks -- but it''s really, really expensive. Because of the intricity of the design, I can''t even find a custom jeweler who will do it any cheaper than SS themselves (and I thought they were always a bit overpriced).
8.gif
I have weighed up exactly how much I love this setting, and the fact is that I don''t think I love it $5000 AUD worth.

So, back to the books. I really love James Meyer''s lovely open profiles, but was wondering -- has anyone seen him do a milgrained halo instead of just bezel setting the centerstone? I''d still really like to keep a halo as my design, but can''t seem to find any other jewelers who offer such a stunning, airy sideview. Do you think the added pave would detract from the "feel" of his settings?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ginger,

I haven't seen Jim do *anything* like a halo - it doesn't really seem his
style. However there is never any harm in asking is there...?
I think the thing is, he only seems to bezel set stones, and a halo will entail
grain/bead setting the diamonds setting in some format.
I would ask and see what he thinks.

To be honest, I think Caleb Meyer would be better suited to your project -
he has designs very similiar to Jim's with that lovely profile, but also works with
grain set diamonds, so could be a better match.

Have you asked BGD for a quote?

I'm guessing you had no luck with anyone in Perth? Is that 5k quote from Meihoffers?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yep, the $5000 was from them, and Solid Gold -- the last time I spoke to Thomas, he said he would get me a variety of quotes, depending on what level of perfection I want.
33.gif
I guess there''s the "we spent 5 hours polishing this, and not a minute longer" quote versus the "we spent however long it takes to make it perfect" quote. He should be getting back to me about those sometime next week when his primary benchworker gets back from her holidays. I am not discounting using them completely, I just think that maybe the design I was fixating on was too complicated for the budget I''m really wanting to stick with.

I hadn''t even considered BGD, will definitely have to have a look now. I just fired off an email to Maytal to see what she thinks. The part I''m having the most difficult time with is the fact that I simply don''t know what I want. I know what elements I have to have, what I definitely don''t want, and what I like the look of - but I don''t have the imagination to put it together and come up with a design I can describe down to the last detail.
7.gif
I''m finding it *very* frustrating, to be honest. I''ve got this gorgeous diamond that I absolutely love and don''t have any idea of what to do with it!!

Thanks for your response though. I really appreciate you helping me out all of the time.
9.gif
I figured a JM halo would be a big ask, as I don''t think it''s really the kind of workmanship he likes to do. I feel rude even emailing and enquiring, as it seems so far-fetched!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
when you say halo I think Leon Mege...have you contacted him for a quote? he''s been known to run less than maytal. I think Brian Gavin might be a good choice too since they enjoy the design process, do cads and like customer input etc. choosing a setting can be the hardest thing in the world. I''ve had a very tough time of it over the years. have you thought about setting it like boston jeff''s in just a solitaire? his cushion just shines in that style of setting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 9:33:07 AM
Author: justginger
Yep, the $5000 was from them, and Solid Gold -- the last time I spoke to Thomas, he said he would get me a variety of quotes, depending on what level of perfection I want.
33.gif
I guess there''s the ''we spent 5 hours polishing this, and not a minute longer'' quote versus the ''we spent however long it takes to make it perfect'' quote. He should be getting back to me about those sometime next week when his primary benchworker gets back from her holidays. I am not discounting using them completely, I just think that maybe the design I was fixating on was too complicated for the budget I''m really wanting to stick with.

I hadn''t even considered BGD, will definitely have to have a look now. I just fired off an email to Maytal to see what she thinks. The part I''m having the most difficult time with is the fact that I simply don''t know what I want. I know what elements I have to have, what I definitely don''t want, and what I like the look of - but I don''t have the imagination to put it together and come up with a design I can describe down to the last detail.
7.gif
I''m finding it *very* frustrating, to be honest. I''ve got this gorgeous diamond that I absolutely love and don''t have any idea of what to do with it!!

Thanks for your response though. I really appreciate you helping me out all of the time.
9.gif
I figured a JM halo would be a big ask, as I don''t think it''s really the kind of workmanship he likes to do. I feel rude even emailing and enquiring, as it seems so far-fetched!

Hey again
35.gif

I''m sorry this setting search is proving difficult for you - as Mrs said, sometimes
surprisingly the diamond is the easiest part of the equation!

I would *definately* contact BGD - if you have seen anything of what they''ve been turning out (like for example Gypsy''s new pendant), they are very good at interpreting a bunch of ideas and bringing it all to life. Plus, Lesley is a delight to talk to
and always very quick with replies/quotes.

I also doubt your quote would be as much as 5k from them (can''t guarantee of course, but doesn''t sound like it from your description).

Honestly, just email Jim - he is a very nice guy, and will tell you straight whether he is comfortable or no with your request
5.gif
Have you considered emailing Caleb Meyer?
I didn''t get such great service from them personally, but I would still recommend giving them a go based on the quality of their work.
Both JM and CM also have good prices.

I''m not sure about those "different types of quality" quotes from Thomas ! I would''ve thought, a designer jeweller only wants to turn out their best work with their name on it, don''t you think?..
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results