shape
carat
color
clarity

"J" diamond owners.. & Trade up policy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phawk

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been shopping for a diamond in the H/I, VS1-SI1 range. I am wondering if I should go down to a "J" stone so that we can go up in size. I have seen many lovely J rings on this site! However, I have seen a J diamond at a local B&M ( EGL) and I was able to see quite a bit of "yellow." I was thinking that maybe it was due to the fact it was an EGL.. Anyhow, my question is this... Are there any people out there who went down in color in order to go up in size that wished they hadn''t? Any "J" owners out there that wished they had a smaller stone with better color grading? All diamond owners- how important is a company''s trade up policy?? All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade up policy for me is important as I eventually want a 3c...but there's no guarantee that your jeweler will even be around in 5 years or 10 years to honor that policy. It's a must for me but I would not pay more to get it.

I have a J stone after having a G and then an H and I love it. I do see a tinge of warmth from the side but it's by no means YELLOW. However, face down this thing is as white as can be unless it's really dirty. I think cut also has alot to do with it...I can see when my ring is dirty that my stone takes on a tiny bit more hued tinge...so I try to keep it as clean as possible which I do in general regardless with my rings, I clean them daily for the most part.

I love big stones and the only way I could get mine this year was by doing the J stone. I don't regret it but it's also not my last stone either, I plan to upgrade next year. Next stone I'd love for it to be a J with med or strong fluor to see what sort of difference, if any, it makes, and/or a I with med or strong fluor...I have not owned an I yet. There are 2 more steps on my way to my 3c so I'd prefer for the next step to be something different so I know for sure what I want for that last ~3c step.

Anyhow, I may be the oddball in that I really love my J stone even with it's tinges of warmth at times, but I know it's not the last stone I will have so that does not bother me. Would they bother me if it was the only stone I'd ever have? Maybe...but that's not the case. The stone is exceptional and really beautiful, I get lots of compliments on it and it's big and was very affordable with my trade-in!

Good luck..

Oh and here are a few links:
My J stone and story:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-done-a-1-60-j-si2-has-found-a-new-home.26190/

J stone in platinum, stories and pictures:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/j-color-stones-in-platinum.24731/

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I don''t have a J stone but have an H. I originally had my heart set on an E stone that was 1.20 carats but wound up dropping the color to an H so I could get a 1.85 carat & I don''t regret it at all. I get commented on the size & beauty a lot. Most people ask me if it''s 2 carats. I used to think that H was the lowest I would go but after seeing some of the J''s on this website I would probably be willing to try a super ideal J. That is, buy from a vendor that has a good return policy in case you don''t like the J. I say it''s always better to try out the one that''s iffy first because if there''s a good return policy you have nothing to lose. This way you''ll always know if it was right for you or not. As far as trade in policies go, they''re great so long as you know when to stop. I''m kinda glad I can''t do another trade in because if I could I might end up getting carried away & throwing a lot of money into a 3 + carat stone that I really don''t need.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results