shape
carat
color
clarity

J colored center ACA next to F/G ACA melee

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
Does anybody have pictures of a J colored center stone on a ring with F/G melee? This is what I'm potentially getting from WF and wonder if I should go less color.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
simplesimon|1419434193|3807252 said:
Does anybody have pictures of a J colored center stone on a ring with F/G melee? This is what I'm potentially getting from WF and wonder if I should go less color.

Hi simplesimon :wavey:

My center stone is a 2.43 GIA J/SI1, and my melee are G/H (stones in eternity are a little larger and are F/G)... My stone looks whiter bc it can really only be viewed face up (because it's set lower, with the halo being just below the girdle). Mine is XXX, but certainly not ACA -- lucky you!! Just remember the melee will look brighter anyway, due to the smaller facets... So even if you got an H or an I, the tiny pave stones are going to appear whiter and brighter. Hope this helps!

img_2107.jpg

This is the side view (the only time you can see the tint a bit)
imag0055-2.jpg

...another side view (tint showing)
wedding.png

imageuploadedbytapatalk1403378724.jpg

This is in my car on an overcast day
imageuploadedbytapatalk1410622002.jpg

In my home (it's picking up the greenish taupe paint, but you can the little bit of contrast)
imageuploadedbytapatalk1418133757.jpg

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the pictures!

Is the majority of the time one is viewing an engagement ring from an angled view where tint can be seen or top-down view where a J faces up very white?

My guess is at an angle? I don't wear jewelry so I don't know...sorry for the stupid question.

The most I'd go up to is maybe a G or H for affordability, and in that case perhaps the difference is not significant enough?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
simplesimon|1419440513|3807296 said:
Thanks for the pictures!

Is the majority of the time one is viewing an engagement ring from an angled view where tint can be seen or top-down view where a J faces up very white?

My guess is at an angle? I don't wear jewelry so I don't know...sorry for the stupid question.

The most I'd go up to is maybe a G or H for affordability, and in that case perhaps the difference is not significant enough?

The wearer most often sees the ring from profile/side/angled view.

As I recall, you are buying this ring for your GF, right? Have the two of you discussed diamond color, or have you two been to any jewelry stores where you could see her reaction as she tried on various kinds of diamonds? A J-color, even white-facing, is still a J-color and will show a tint, and if you're choosing a halo-style ring with ACA melee, that tint will be highlighted especially from certain angles. If you are unsure whether she will like a J-color diamond, I would recommend you go to the G/H range for the center stone. But if you know she favors size and cut over color (and/or specifically appreciates J/K diamonds), and prefers a halo-style ring, then stick with your J-color stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1419440986|3807300 said:
simplesimon|1419440513|3807296 said:
Thanks for the pictures!

The wearer most often sees the ring from profile/side/angled view.

As I recall, you are buying this ring for your GF, right? Have the two of you discussed diamond color, or have you two been to any jewelry stores where you could see her reaction as she tried on various kinds of diamonds? A J-color, even white-facing, is still a J-color and will show a tint, and if you're choosing a halo-style ring with ACA melee, that tint will be highlighted especially from certain angles. If you are unsure whether she will like a J-color diamond, I would recommend you go to the G/H range for the center stone. But if you know she favors size and cut over color (and/or specifically appreciates J/K diamonds), and prefers a halo-style ring, then stick with your J-color stone.

I agree with all of this. I picked the diamond myself, so I was full aware of the tint and was okay with it. Buying for someone else is a whole different ball game.

What size stone are you looking into? (sorry if you'd posted that in another thread -- I just can't remember) :halo: If it's 2 ct or larger, then the lowest I'd go is I color. Truthfully, I think H/I will be your best bet. ;))

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
It won't be set in a halo - I plan on getting the Legato Sleek Line Pave setting from WF.

She's told me she doesn't want to have much to do with the ring buying process and gave me some high level idea of what she's looking for. She's the type that is very sentimental like her mother. (Her mother has a very tiny diamond on her ring because that's all her father could afford at the time and my GF told me how her mother refuses to upgrade because it reminds them of where they came from.) I'm in a better financial situation so I'm getting her something bigger - 1.26ct.

She's the kind of person that will be very happy with whatever I get her with the main criteria that the ring be as sparkly as possible. We're both very frugal people and she doesn't own any luxury items really. I'm wondering how much of this is in my own head and if I had originally settled on an H/I, if I'd be asking the same question but looking to get an F/G.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
simplesimon|1419446305|3807328 said:
It won't be set in a halo - I plan on getting the Legato Sleek Line Pave setting from WF.

She's told me she doesn't want to have much to do with the ring buying process and gave me some high level idea of what she's looking for. She's the type that is very sentimental like her mother. (Her mother has a very tiny diamond on her ring because that's all her father could afford at the time and my GF told me how her mother refuses to upgrade because it reminds them of where they came from.) I'm in a better financial situation so I'm getting her something bigger - 1.26ct.

She's the kind of person that will be very happy with whatever I get her with the main criteria that the ring be as sparkly as possible. We're both very frugal people and she doesn't own any luxury items really. I'm wondering how much of this is in my own head and if I had originally settled on an H/I, if I'd be asking the same question but looking to get an F/G.

Gotcha 8)

You can rest assured, an ACA will be super sparkly regardless of what color you choose. Color doesn't dictate how much a diamond sparkles in any way, shape, or form -- the cut does. ACA are the best of the best in terms of cut for best performance, so I don't think you have too much to worry about. If you went with an H or I, a 1.25 ct will look white. If you're scared about an I, just get an H... I promise you it will be white! :))

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget for the stone by itself?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, the Legato is a really pretty setting -- excellent choice! :appl:

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
I've been back and forth with budget. Right now the bill's at $10k. Going down in color will be about $1-2k per grade. Not unaffordable but obviously I get less comfortable as that number goes up.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
My ACA mêlée are I in color, but due to the cut they are incredibly white. Melee are always going to appear whiter than the main stone so why not request lower colored melee in the setting?

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
I asked about the Premium Select diamond and was told that under certain lighting conditions, it may look hazy due to the size of the cloud.

If Increase my budget, there are several ~1.3ct H's to choose from which I will inquire about (5 ACA's and 1 ES):

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3265524,3236272,3259357,3259358,3227657,3260762

They all look pretty darn close to the same thing to me. Does anything particular stick out based on the numbers and IS? (Update: In the ES stone, the heart in the 1 o'clock position is slightly smaller than the others.)

Thanks for the feedback!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1419439248|3807284 said:
My center stone is a 2.43 GIA J/SI1, and my melee are G/H (stones in eternity are a little larger and are F/G)... My stone looks whiter bc it can really only be viewed face up (because it's set lower, with the halo being just below the girdle). Mine is XXX, but certainly not ACA -- lucky you!! Just remember the melee will look brighter anyway, due to the smaller facets... So even if you got an H or an I, the tiny pave stones are going to appear whiter and brighter. Hope this helps!

Msop04, love your rings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results