shape
carat
color
clarity

J color center stone in a pave setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

platinumvol

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 2.01 carat, GIA cert'd J color, VS2 clarity, Good cut, polish and symmetry ("Class 2" cut) for an incredible price. I am having the setting custom made in a pave setting. Her ringer size is 5 and the stones in the pave/beaded setting are G-H and maybe I in color/VS2 clarity. The stones will be applied on 3 sides of the ring and extend halfway down each side of the ring, so that when the ring is worn, the diamonds are visible. I am having the setting made in white gold.

The J color stone faces up very well...it doesn't appear yellow, but sometime may appear to lend itself towards a silver in a partcular light (though this is rare). Honestly, Im not sure if it does, or if it is my mind playing tricks on me. I've had a local jeweler grade the stone's color as an "I" and I agree it appears in the near colorless family. I am pleased with the purchase of the stone, but wonder...

Will the center stone face up well in relation to the pave setting? (the jeweler seems to think so).

Will the G-I color stones in the pave setting make the center stone look colored? If so...in what way?

Will the stone appear yellow or silver from the side of the stone (it will be set in a classic tiffany setting).

Any help would be appreciated. I was a huge fan of a much higher graded color stone at first, but saw this stone and it looked pretty white to me (and I've looked at 50 stones or more), especially for a "J"...

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
The stone should face up fine with the melee you''ve mentioned - no worries.
1.gif
1.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 3:55:19 PM
Author:platinumvol
I recently purchased a 2.01 carat, GIA cert''d J color, VS2 clarity, Good cut, polish and symmetry (''Class 2'' cut) for an incredible price. I am having the setting custom made in a pave setting. Her ringer size is 5 and the stones in the pave/beaded setting are G-H and maybe I in color/VS2 clarity. The stones will be applied on 3 sides of the ring and extend halfway down each side of the ring, so that when the ring is worn, the diamonds are visible. I am having the setting made in white gold.

The J color stone faces up very well...it doesn''t appear yellow, but sometime may appear to lend itself towards a silver in a partcular light (though this is rare). Honestly, Im not sure if it does, or if it is my mind playing tricks on me. I''ve had a local jeweler grade the stone''s color as an ''I'' and I agree it appears in the near colorless family. I am pleased with the purchase of the stone, but wonder...

Will the center stone face up well in relation to the pave setting? (the jeweler seems to think so).

Will the G-I color stones in the pave setting make the center stone look colored? If so...in what way?

Will the stone appear yellow or silver from the side of the stone (it will be set in a classic tiffany setting).

Any help would be appreciated. I was a huge fan of a much higher graded color stone at first, but saw this stone and it looked pretty white to me (and I''ve looked at 50 stones or more), especially for a ''J''...
If your first impression was good, hers will likely be, too. She will eventually play with it and look at it from the sides, and yes, it will probably not be as white from that angle, but it won''t be a deal breaker. I hope you can see some kind of fire from your rock. Fire can make a diamond lively and color won''t be such a distraction--my experience, your mileage may vary.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
See my answers below in yellow...

Date: 6/30/2008 3:55:19 PM
Author:platinumvol
I recently purchased a 2.01 carat, GIA cert''d J color, VS2 clarity, Good cut, polish and symmetry (''Class 2'' cut) for an incredible price. I am having the setting custom made in a pave setting. Her ringer size is 5 and the stones in the pave/beaded setting are G-H and maybe I in color/VS2 clarity. The stones will be applied on 3 sides of the ring and extend halfway down each side of the ring, so that when the ring is worn, the diamonds are visible. I am having the setting made in white gold.

The J color stone faces up very well...it doesn''t appear yellow, but sometime may appear to lend itself towards a silver in a partcular light (though this is rare). Honestly, Im not sure if it does, or if it is my mind playing tricks on me. I''ve had a local jeweler grade the stone''s color as an ''I'' and I agree it appears in the near colorless family. I am pleased with the purchase of the stone, but wonder...

Will the center stone face up well in relation to the pave setting? (the jeweler seems to think so). I agree with your jeweler, don''t worry!

Will the G-I color stones in the pave setting make the center stone look colored? No, it will be fine. Again, no need to worry! If so...in what way?

Will the stone appear yellow or silver from the side of the stone (it will be set in a classic tiffany setting). If you don''t see yellow NOW, scrutinizing the unmounted stone, you will see nothing once it is set. No need to worry there, either! Regarding the "silver" you see... silver is good! Under certain lighting conditions, well cut stones do take on a silvery appearance, which I for one, adore!

Any help would be appreciated. I was a huge fan of a much higher graded color stone at first, but saw this stone and it looked pretty white to me (and I''ve looked at 50 stones or more), especially for a ''J''... I agree. I have an AGS-0 2.36 J-colored RB and I LOVELOVELOVE it!!!
Hope this helps.

Lynn

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I completely agree that you should have no issues with the color differences. My center is a J, and my side stones are 10 pointer and all F-G and look great with my stone!!!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it will look just fine!! There might be a slight color difference, but not something that the casual observer will notice...just incredibly discerning eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results