shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this OK? G+ center stone with F baguettes?

diamondsfordays

Rough_Rock
I am having a ring made with a MRB GIA G+ center stone (a highly regarded appraiser from this site said he would personally call it an F). The baguettes that were sourced are uncerted F's. Do you think I have anything to worry about? I've heard people recommend for side stones that you go more with the color of the center stone or 1 level lower. What made me at first think it was ok is that the baguettes are uncerted so they probably fall within in the F-G range anyway, plus they're baguettes so color shows up more than it would in the round center stone. Now I am worried however that the F baguettes will make the G center look less white by comparison.

Should I ask for G baguettes instead of F's or would it be silly to go for a lower color?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/ opinions!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like you said, if the baguettes are uncerted, they very well may be G. One color grade won't be really noticeable between a large center stone and small side stones anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

diamondsfordays

Rough_Rock
hi diamondseeker, thanks for your advice. question: with the g+ center do you think it's better to go with the f baguettes that might very well be g's, or ask for g's that may be h's. what i mean is, if one has to choose, is it better to go one up or one down with the color grade with the baguettes.

diamondsfordays

Rough_Rock
Bump!

Does anyone knows, if one has to choose, would it be "better" to go with a g center and f baguettes, or a g center and h baguettes?

I saw a thread that said with trillians, to go with the same color grade or one higher than the center. But with other types of side stones it was suggested instead to go with one or two lower. Just wondering what logic applies to baguettes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't want the baguettes to be below G color. So I would stick with the ones you have already been offered assuming they are right otherwise.

diamondsfordays

Rough_Rock
So apparently Snooper was in the exact same situation as me, a brilliant cut G center stone and F baguettes. She was also worried about having a G center with F baguettes but says she doesn't notice any difference.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/snoopers-leon-mege.45761/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/snoopers-leon-mege.45761/[/URL]

Her ring is from Leon Mege. I looked at other baguette settings from Leon Mege, such as with an Emerald center, and he chose the same color grade in those cases (G and G).

Obviously Leon is an expert at this, so do you think F baguettes are an even better choice than G baguettes for a G brilliant cut center stone?

diamondsfordays

Rough_Rock
sorry to bump again, would just really like to understand if/ why it's better with an emerald G, G baguettes would be chosen, but with a G brilliant center, F baguettes would be chosen. if anyone can weigh in would appreciate it the reasoning behind it just so I can stop being silly and worrying so much! :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stop panicking the human eye cannot generally detect much if any difference between and F and a G if they are both well cut. In fact I know plenty of qualified jewellers that cannot tell the difference. It could be because emerald cuts tend to show up colour more (think large flat surface) and RBs face up tend to mask colour better. So in theory you could notice more of a difference with an Emerald cut (although I doubt it) and less of one with a RB. And baguettes have a slower scintillation pattern therefore to make them look as white and as bright this could explain if the customer or jeweller was being obsessive over it why they are the higher colour with the RB to make them face as bright and as white looking as the RB cut in the centre with the better/faster/brighter scintillation pattern.

MixedPeel

Rough_Rock
Please don't worry. My original engagement ring had a beautiful G coloured stone and F baguettes set in white gold. They looked perfectly fine and complimented each other beautifully. Not once did anyone, even jewellers make a comment on the colour difference. Even me, being colour sensitive was not bothered by it.

Now, I've upgraded - will post pics when I receive my ring back to an E colour stone but still keeping the F baguettes in the white gold. It's all good!

diamondsfordays

Rough_Rock
Thanks arkieb and mixedpeels!! Good to hear the reasoning and that even a few other people had the same bagette/center color combination. I'm very color sensitive and this ring has taken almost 1 year in research and making so I wanted to be double and triple sure everything will be just right! 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results