shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this GIA cert too old

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been a lurker to this forum up to now, but I''ve picked up all kinds of good information. I have one concern. Last week I purchased a diamond from diamond.com, and when I received it, I noticed that the GIA cert is from October of 2001? Is this cert too old? Could diamond.com have sold me a diamond that was used? I was under the impression that they sold brand new stones on their site. Also, this was a radiant cut diamond if that makes a difference.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It''s a little difficult to tell by looking at a stone if it has been owned by someone other than a dealer. It''s quite possible that the stone has simply been in someone''s inventory since the lab looked at it. One of the nice things for diamond dealers is that diamonds aren''t very perishable. They don''t really have the same problems as people who are flogging tomatoes or even last years model automobile.
Diamonds.com is a reputable outfit and, to the extent that they know the ownership history of they stone, I wouldn''t expect them to be concealing anything from you. All of these issues apply with a newly issued report as well, by the way, since you don''t know the history prior to the lab examination. If you''re concerned about the ownership history, make sure you dealer knows this. They should be able to choose a stone that they bought directly from the manufacturer.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results