shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this EGL Stone worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MKMcKinley

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am looking to purchase my wife a nice diamond without mortaging the house. I found an EGL USA certified stone with the following specifics...... 1 carat - Clarity VS2 - H color - Depth 60.2% - Table 62% - Crown 12.9% - Pavilian 43.2% - Girdle medium faceted - Culet very small - Flourescence None - Polish good - Symmetry good - Measurments 6.52 x 6.47 x 3.91MM. I may be able to purchase this stone for under $3000. Any thoughts???? All imput is much appreciated. P.S. The stone scored a 3.7 on the pricescope cut advisor. Should I be woried about the culet? Thanks. Michael
21.gif

Stomp

Rough_Rock
I'll just give my $.02 worth. I just returned an EGL that I wasn't happy with. It was graded a H VS1 and the appraiser gave it an I VS2 (and he thought it was on the weak side for an I). In the defense of the stone, it was in the setting when the grader checked it. Apparently there is a diff.

Anyways, for me (and this is just me) I wanted the peace of mind afforded by the GIA vs. EGL. I'm not saying there aren't good EGL's out there (I'm an uber-novice and freely admit I know very little), but for me, being the less-educated consumer that wants to feel "good" about his purchase, GIA ended up the only way for me to feel good (short of numerous independant appraisals on the EGL - if you have the time).

Now to totally go against what I just said, had my appraisal been the same as my EGL cert I'd be singing a different song.

Glad I could confuse you some more ;-)

MKMcKinley

Rough_Rock
If I'm not mistaken, EGL USA is fairly descent. I was told to stay away from Euro EGL......... Anyway, since this stone has a very small culet, I averaged it to be .75 on the periscope cut advisor and the stone rated a 3.4 not a 3.7 - Would i really notice a big diference between this stone an an ideal cut if it were mounted in yellow gold?????

Stomp

Rough_Rock
I'm afraid I can't answer that question whatsoever - but here's a bump to the top for you.

BTW, mine was EGL USA too.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If all data are correct, and the stone looks half decent, I would have to pay far more in Antwerp, buying directly from the cheapest cutter, and buying in bulk with a load of other goods.

If you can buy it for under 3K, that is a serious red flag for me.

Be careful,

sunseeker

Rough_Rock
Hi! Don't be afraid to purchase an EGL USA stone. Mine is a EGL USA certified round brilliant, 1.16 ct., G color, VS2. When I purchased it, I took it right away to a GIA gemologist for an appraisal and it all was the same (even color).

I was a bit apprehensive buying EGL USA because of what I read here, but I got a great price on the stone and didn't want to pass it up (luckily the stone also came with a 100% money back guarantee, so I couldn't go wrong). It's beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for the world, especially since it appraised as well as it did!
appl.gif

My stone scored a 3.1 on the HCA.

If you do go with EGL, make sure the certificate says EGL USA!!! Also, find a jeweler that guarantees your money back within a reasonable amount of time if you do find that the certificate doesn't match up with the appraisal (I would do this with any diamond purchase).

I had a set amount of $ to spend (as most of us do) and wanted to get the most and best buy for my money and have a beautiful stone. Luckily for me, buying my EGL USA stone worked out for the best and I am loving it and receive compliments on it often!

~ Sunseeker

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price is unbeatable... everything else... not quite. A set of GIA grades that would routinely commend the same price would definitely not look like a "no excuse" diamond (assuming that's something colorless, transparent, cut and polished somehow). If it looks good, it is ok. I hope you eitehr get to see it or have recourse (return policy) to back this transaction up
rolleyes.gif

MKMcKinley

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all who posted. Well I guess I was a little to late to purchase this one. Here is the auction link. Did I really blow it by passing it up????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10216&item=4908030643&rd=1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results