shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this cushion diamond any good?

atdftr

Rough_Rock
Hi,

First time poster. I was looking for a squarish cushion diamond and was wondering if this one was any good. I heard it might be too "heavy" since the dimensions are a little small for something of that carat weight? Any experts care to weigh in?

Thanks,

atdftr

_483.png

_483.png

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
Maybe, maybe not. Not enough info in a cert to know, and this is no way to pick a cushion.
Any way you can get an ASET and actual magnified image of the stone?

I will say this, I don't like the stone based on what I do see. That girdle varies a lot. Table and depth might be okay...Again, we don't know because not enough info given.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

atdftr

Rough_Rock
Hi, thanks for the responses. I am still waiting on the ASET but why do people dislike crushed ice? On a ring with the naked eye, they seemed to sparkle more than regular cushion cuts I saw. Or is that just jewelry store lighting tricks?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot of people love diamonds that look, for lack of a better phrase, like "crushed ice".

Of course it's important to look at any diamond in a variety of lighting- and get a money back guarantee so you can look at it at home.

ETA- looking at the report there's no evidence the diamond is "heavy"
Sometimes a medium blue F color can look "super white" which can be quite nice.
But that aspect does make the stone worth between 5-15% less than a stone with no fl.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a busy unorganized facet pattern that usually has underwhelming performance. That's why most people do NOT like it.

Generic radiants typically have crushed ice faceting. And most people who want cushions want them to look like cushions (like the Tiffany Novo), not like radiants .

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI atdftr,
Having dealt with many thousands of consumers, and also actual diamonds, my experience is quite different than Gypsy.
Many people ADORE the performance of stones with no organized pattern aka crushed ice. AS you noticed, they can sparkle in a very pleasing manner. I have found this to be true with both Radiant cut and cushion.

Looking at the most expensive Fifth Avenue stores ( like Harry Winston), you'll find a lot of cushions with this type of facet pattern. Not that that makes it perfect for you- but if you love that look, you're not alone, and there's no inherent "performance deficit" in stones with the "crushed ice look" for that reason alone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
RD, you don't believe in tools that quantify performance. But they do exist. And an ASET is one of them. Crushed ice faceting rarely performs well using quantifiable methods that can be repeated (science!). And the fact that 5th avenue stores carry such stones is irrelevant. They carry other poorly performing stones as well. An expensive address is not proof of performance.

To the OP: RD prefers the "customers who don't know any better like it so it must be good" method of performance evaluation. I personally, and many of the other experts on this forum with years of experience ( as you can see from this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-diamond-help-fish-eye-or-bowtie.207447/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-diamond-help-fish-eye-or-bowtie.207447/[/URL] ) prefer to use methods that actually have some basis in science to evaluate stones performance. And disagree with RD.

As always, we will have to agree to disagree. :wavey:

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Gypsy - I personally never say "most people" like this or don't like that unless I've actually seen data that backs it up. In the case of "crushed ice" the term does not even have an accepted quantifiable meaning. Some diamonds are more "crushed ice" than others - its a continuum. There is a place on that continuum that I love and a place I hate. When you use the term what part of the continuum are you on and how are we to know whether you and I are in the same place?

I think the answer is we don't know that we are talking about the same look which is why using the term in a disparaging way is, in my opinion, both misleading and unfair to customers who happen to have different taste than you do or who may be thinking about a different look than you are when you use the term.

With respect to cushions, far more "cushion modified brilliants" which are mostly what I think you are calling crushed ice are sold than "cushion brilliants" so its certainly not obvious that this is not what most people prefer. It is certainly true that this is what some people prefer and folks ought to look at both styles and buy what THEY prefer.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1414777425|3775521 said:
RD, you don't believe in tools that quantify performance. But they do exist. And an ASET is one of them. Crushed ice faceting rarely performs well using quantifiable methods that can be repeated (science!). And the fact that 5th avenue stores carry such stones is irrelevant. They carry other poorly performing stones as well. An expensive address is not proof of performance.

To the OP: RD prefers the "customers who don't know any better like it so it must be good" method of performance evaluation. I personally, and many of the other experts on this forum with years of experience ( as you can see from this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-diamond-help-fish-eye-or-bowtie.207447/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/radiant-diamond-help-fish-eye-or-bowtie.207447/[/URL] ) prefer to use methods that actually have some basis in science to evaluate stones performance. And disagree with RD.

As always, we will have to agree to disagree. :wavey:

Hi Gypsy,
Can we please agree not to put other words in each other's mouths? I have never used the words you're attributing to me. Nor do I feel that way. All due respect you don't know me, or what I believe in.
The science Gypsy is referring to can identify different types of diamond cuts- there's broad agreement on that.
There's NO science telling us which stone is cut better, or possesses "superior" performance- most importantly, no science that can predict which we will prefer.
There's many professionals that DO agree with my points- some of which are posting right here.

atdftr

Rough_Rock
Ok still not ASET but did get this stone picture. Not sure if this helps. Still working on ASET.

_23791.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's got potential. Definitely. But that's all I can say without more information.

atdftr

Rough_Rock
The dealer says he only has GIA cert and no ASET image. Should I be concerned? Can I get my own done somehow?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results