shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this an 000 Ideal? Ideal Scope image attached

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iamgwar

Rough_Rock
Hi -
I have this diamond on hold from James Allen : http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1260160.asp (Thanks to Stone-cold11 from an earlier thread)

Take a look at the specs and picture of the diamond on their site. The report shows as AGS 000. But the image, to my untrained eye, doesn''t look perfect enough to be graded that high (compared to other AGS 000 images I have seen).

The Ideal Scope image:
97902_THCH40id.jpg

The Ideal Scope has very little white which I know to be good but the dark "Arrows" don''t seem to standout or have the symmetry I would expect.

The person who examined the stone said it is very brilliant and 100% eye-clean and faces up white.
I am still a bit concerned b/c the images seem a little off to me.

What do you think? Is this Ideal (or close enough)?

Thanks!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone''s IS iamge seems tilted but the scope image is also tilted. So not sure if it is a cutting of the stone, maybe request for the JA gemologist to take a look at it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s AGS 0 if AGS says it is.

This is the look you will see with BIC-like diamonds. Good news is that this can help a J diamond look a little bit whiter.

Ideal Scope shows excellent light return, no leakage issues. Obstruction is already built into the AGS rubric, so no problems there.

There''s some girdle painting going on there. How much does it cost compared to other 1.3 J SI1 H&A stones?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks as if it might be slightly painted ( girdle treatment). Also with the image it could be that the image wasn''t taken well.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SC, Lorelei, and me... giving it the ol' 1, 2, 3.

iamgwar

Rough_Rock
Wow you all are very fast!!

Re Cost - This one is ~20% cheaper than comparable Hearts and Arrows stones. If I went H&A then I would be looking at going from this 1.33ct to a 1.1ct or smaller stone.

Question 1 : What are "BIC-like" diamonds?

I had never heard of a Painted girdle until now... Here is a good reference for ppl like me : http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/NewCutGrading/Painting/

I''ll ask them to check the girdle and maybe see if they can get a better aligned photo.
Thanks for all your help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 5:27:01 AM
Author: JulieN
SC, Lorelei, and me... giving it the ol'' 1, 2, 3.
Its reallly good to see you back posting regularly again J, your skill has been missed!!!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2010 5:42:50 AM
Author: iamgwar
Wow you all are very fast!!

Re Cost - This one is ~20% cheaper than comparable Hearts and Arrows stones. If I went H&A then I would be looking at going from this 1.33ct to a 1.1ct or smaller stone.

Question 1 : What are 'BIC-like' diamonds?

I had never heard of a Painted girdle until now... Here is a good reference for ppl like me : http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/NewCutGrading/Painting/

I'll ask them to check the girdle and maybe see if they can get a better aligned photo.
Thanks for all your help!
Thats a good link you found there!

BIC= brilliant ideal cut, the diamond above is BIC *like*. Read more here.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BIC is short for Brilliant Ideal Cut, where crown angle is <=32. This stone is kind of in between Tolkowsky and BIC proportions, so it is BIC-like.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results