shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a right ering choice? 1.61ct F VVS2 H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wahaha1

Rough_Rock
Hi, can somebody let me know whether I am getting the right e-ring? I got this diamond from Blue Niles (it is shipping on the way) and I just want to make sure I am getting a good stone. There is an inscription of H&A on the diamond. The HCA score is 1.0 and the AGA only gives 1B. Seems that the CA and PA are concerns...

btw, I paid $22912 for this diamond. Am I overpaid? Please help! My fiancee is leaving town by end of this week and if this stone is not up to the standard, I might think of returning it.

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.60 - 7.63 x 4.60 mm
Carat Weight: 1.61 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 60.4%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 33.5°
Crown Height: 14.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted (3.0%)
Culet: None

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Additional Inscription: H&A

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
numbers look good, no way to tell if it is a H&A without a hearts image but generally BN SI is quite a good cut.

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
wahaha1, consider this BGD Signature H&A stone http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040381680006

A little less money, larger size, icy white G color. VS1 plenty clean.
I''d hate to spend that much money and not have an upgrade policy. luckily, BGD and other PS vendors do.

If you are worried about VVS1, don''t. here is my 1.53 G Si1... see anything?
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-53-bgd-signature-h-a-novela-i-wear-my-sunglasses-at-night.137734/

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
I can see why some on here always advocate for a trade up policy and recommend other consumers seek one in their purchases but there is definitely a segment of the population who would never consider such a thing. My soon to be gave me a look like I had two heads at the suggestion of giving it back for something different/bigger.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 6:33:36 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
numbers look good, no way to tell if it is a H&A without a hearts image but generally BN SI is quite a good cut.
Ditto.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2010 10:02:47 PM
Author: Chase035
I can see why some on here always advocate for a trade up policy and recommend other consumers seek one in their purchases but there is definitely a segment of the population who would never consider such a thing. My soon to be gave me a look like I had two heads at the suggestion of giving it back for something different/bigger.
It has other purposes too. for example, not in your case given the diamond you chose, but sometimes color or clarity, while acceptable initially, may irk the wearer over time and an upgrade allows for that to be fixed. The buyback policies are also a nice insurance against economic emergencies. I know of at least 2 PSers who have taken advantage of them.

wahaha1

Rough_Rock
So, "the numbers look good" also means the price is alrite?

SpareMyWallet, your diamond looks amazing! Did you get it from BGD as well? This is the online vendor that I first heard of.

Thanks all for the replies, I get your point of going down on color and clarity for a bigger one, but she doesn''t want to go any further down from D, E, F color. When she was in Tiffany, she can immediately spot the yellowish color on the diamond without the sales telling her the color of the stone (stone ended up was G color).

We are not sure about clarity, as we saw the IF in store which is really brilliant and flashy white color (E, IF) but when looking at the VS level, those diamonds were flashy but not as good as the IF one (the sales said the IF one is as a combination of cut, clarity and color etc...), so we are really unsure whether to give up the clarity and size up the diamond a bit (seems that going down on clarity only save couple of hundred bucks?).

As for the upgrade thing..., a really interesting point, she regards her engagement ring to have tons of sentimental value and at the mean time, she won''t think about any upgrade. But this point is really worth thinking.

26.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 5:17:12 PM
Author: wahaha1
So, ''the numbers look good'' also means the price is alrite?

SpareMyWallet, your diamond looks amazing! Did you get it from BGD as well? This is the online vendor that I first heard of.

Thanks all for the replies, I get your point of going down on color and clarity for a bigger one, but she doesn''t want to go any further down from D, E, F color. When she was in Tiffany, she can immediately spot the yellowish color on the diamond without the sales telling her the color of the stone (stone ended up was G color).

We are not sure about clarity, as we saw the IF in store which is really brilliant and flashy white color (E, IF) but when looking at the VS level, those diamonds were flashy but not as good as the IF one (the sales said the IF one is as a combination of cut, clarity and color etc...), so we are really unsure whether to give up the clarity and size up the diamond a bit (seems that going down on clarity only save couple of hundred bucks?).

As for the upgrade thing..., a really interesting point, she regards her engagement ring to have tons of sentimental value and at the mean time, she won''t think about any upgrade. But this point is really worth thinking.

26.gif
Clarity does not affect brilliance and optical performance except in very specific circumstances. I think you would be MORE than safe dropping to VS1 and keeping to the colorless range and also optimizing cut. The prices at BN are very competitive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2010 5:17:12 PM

26.gif
diamonds do shrink.
28.gif

kristie

Shiny_Rock
OP, your girl said immediately said a G was a yellowish color??? In my opinion, the lighting at Tiffany is awful and even their D diamonds look yellow. I would say that almost nobody can look at a true G and say immediately that it is yellow? It had to have been the lighting......or she saw someone's stone on their hand that they were claiming was a G and it was really a K or something......IDK....

I would also be of the opinion that unless it is a mindclean thing, VS1 is great.....VVS2 is just spending money for something that is really just for bragging rights...that is 100% ok too though!!
9.gif

I would not purchase from BN just because they have no upgrade policy.

Call Brian Gavin Diamonds, they have a virtual inventory and Brian and Lesley will tell you absolutely everything you need to know to make an excellent and informed decision.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi wahaha

The diamond has definite potential and BN are competitively priced, see what you think of the diamond when you get it.

wahaha1

Rough_Rock
The diamond is still on the way..., anxious...

Kristie, the sales said she my gf was holding a diamond > 2 carat, so it is more easier for the yellowish color to be shown. Not sure if this is true, but the lights in the store was quite dark, as opposed to the other jewelers using tons of spot lights...

wahaha1

Rough_Rock
Got the diamond from BN, please see https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/1-61ct-f-vvs2-e-ring-from-blue-niles.137995/

Thanks all for the help!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 10:03:24 AM

Kristie, the sales said she my gf was holding a diamond > 2 carat, so it is more easier for the yellowish color to be shown. Not sure if this is true, but the lights in the store was quite dark, as opposed to the other jewelers using tons of spot lights...
And also, compared to a D, a G does show more "warmth". I would not call it yellow, but it is different. On its own G''s look delish, but if you are after that totally colorless look and a D/E stone has, then a G might not even be for you.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2010 2:55:50 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Date: 3/5/2010 10:03:24 AM

And also, compared to a D, a G does show more ''warmth''. I would not call it yellow, but it is different. On its own G''s look delish, but if you are after that totally colorless look and a D/E stone has, then a G might not even be for you.

I agree: a G is very white by itself as are most H''s but I am so color sensitive that I had to go with a D or E.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results