shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good engagement ring???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Not in my opinion. Then again--who really knows with all the "maybes" in the ad... and the sample cert is no where near the advertised specs.

I would not buy a ring this way personally. I think you can do better with one of the internet vendors often cited here, or even at a decent B&M where you can see the stone.

Keep looking.
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
if i had $5200 to spend on a ring i would scrap amazon, whose primary business is NOT (by any stretch of the imagination) selling diamonds, and work with one of the well-respected vendors on this board. you could get a gorgeous ring for that amount, AND you would be sure of what you are getting.

my .02

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
This is probably the easiest way to buy an e-ring, but I think for the same money, you could get a hand picked, beautiful stone and put it in the mounting of your or your GFs choice. I think you would end up with something much more special than this. The vendors here can make sure you get a stone that really sparkles and the inclusions are not visible. You don't have those assurances with the Amazon route.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Considering that you sort of get what you get. They are offering a diamond that could have a large range of depth and table percentages and not all SI2's are alike, I would be very wary of buying that ring. I found this diamond for you at DirtCheapDiamonds for $4886:

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=2683417

That was for an ideal cut. If you go to the premium cut diamonds, they range from $3650 to $5700. I'm guessing the Amazon ring would probably only rate as a premium cut and not ideal anyway. With that DirtCheap diamond above and a 4 prong platinum setting from their site running $375, you would come out about the same as you would with the diamond on Amazon and you would be assured that the diamond is truly closer to an ideal cut. You could also request more information from them about the diamond before you buy. There were other choices over there that were colored I (which the IGI stone may be closer in color to anyway)

Since you are considering buying sight unseen online, I would slow down and take some time checking out what the PS vendors could come up with for you.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Cubes,

I have to say that Amazon has not been known as a jewelry site! I do not care for any site that does not post specifics on a diamond. Their "sample" cert gives them alot of freedom to send you what ever they want. You could get lucky, but in my opinion you would be better off starting a relationship with one of the vendors recommended on PS or a local B&M, both of which specialize in diamonds. You can be sure of what you are getting that way.

I think you will pleasantly surprised at what you can get from the online jewelry vendors for the same price!
2.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
hiya cubes
1.gif
i agree w the previous posters... but i wanted to add a suggestion for a diamond this WF 1.19ct G SI2 (you'd have to ask if it's eye-clean) - WF also sells a platinum band for $350.

WF gives PS members a discount so the cost of the stone will be a bit less than listed... it'll come out to a bit more than the Amazon ring (keep in mind the color is better too) - but it'd be a gorgeous ideal center stone
3.gif

whatever you decide, best of luck to ya cubes!
9.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
With such a range of color and clarity, and the cut rated as only 'good,' I'd pass on this one.

As others have mentioned, you can get a much prettier diamond elsewhere.
1.gif

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/26/2004 11:56:37 AM pearcrazy wrote: <hr size="1"

If you go to the premium cut diamonds, they range from $3650 to $5700. I'm guessing the Amazon ring would probably only rate as a premium cut and not ideal anyway.

Actually the quote from Amazon is

Cut: good-cut

A 'good' cut by Amazon standards. I wouldn't touch this.

And SI's are tricky, and SI2 can be a big nasty black dot on the table clearly visible!

I wouldn't touch this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results