shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there such a thing as an old cut pear?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking about possibly buying a vintage style cushion cut stone and am interested in setting it with pears either side. I'm concerned that the many tiny facets of a pear might not flow well with the broad facets of the cushions.

Is there such a thing as a step-cut pear? Or a pear which is old cut? Am hoping someone here might have some experience of this.

Many thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there is. But finding a matched pair of antique pears exactly the right size and color in a nice cut will be next to impossible unless you find an antique piece of jewelry that has a matched pair. Then there is the dilemma of taking apart a fine antique piece of jewelry. I'd really encourage you to consider something else. I agree that modern pears would not look right.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some online, never in person. This one from the Titanic is one of my favorites with the nice big culet.

titanic_pear.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, derbygal!

DS, do you think I could have them cut? I'm sure I saw one once - it was step cut and it was stunning, but I've never seen one since.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1402263807|3688994 said:
Beautiful, derbygal!

DS, do you think I could have them cut? I'm sure I saw one once - it was step cut and it was stunning, but I've never seen one since.

That sounds beautiful and interesting -- I'd love to see it! :love: :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could ask gog. I know they will cut custom shapes on request

There was THE most beautiful old cut pear on eBay a few years back. I'll see if I can find an old pic.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies :)

Niel, that pear is just amazing!

I'll speak to GOG and see if they can rustle me up anything, but I can't recall anyone doing old-style cut pears. Will let you all know if I find anything - what a unique and staggeringly gorgeous thing a step cut pear would be for, say, a necklace of something! Yowza!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pear_7.jpg

I saw this pic on Instagram and remembered this thread. Did you ever find your pears, mrs-blop? :wavey:

PS that pic is from Christie's and here's the caption: "Exclusive Reveal: 74.89 carat Pear-shaped diamond. Available in our New York Magnificent Jewels sale Dec 10." :love:

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Grace's chubby pear- out of this world. It kills me that even the culet is a chubby pear shape.

My idea is to ask Diagem- maybe even DBL- they might be able to get a great pair of antique-y pears for you.

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
mrs-blop|1402262755|3688984 said:
I'm thinking about possibly buying a vintage style cushion cut stone and am interested in setting it with pears either side. I'm concerned that the many tiny facets of a pear might not flow well with the broad facets of the cushions.

Is there such a thing as a step-cut pear? Or a pear which is old cut? Am hoping someone here might have some experience of this.

Many thanks!

Depending on the size of the centre and sidestones you want, it would rarely be practical to have something like this custom cut. Although having a cutter touch the culet to make it larger is a relatively simple task. I would speak to your setting designer about options that are available to them. The classic look I have seen is a vintage faceted cushion flanked by baguettes or traps or flanked by graduated channel set french cuts.

I think the most important thing here is a setting maker who works well with proportions and has good style and execution. The size and outline shape of the sides relative to the centre is much more important than the size of the flashes and cutting style of the sidestones, especially with small stones.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1414592549|3774408 said:
Grace has this gorgeous example up on her site currently - 1.14, F VS1, $10,500

http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Lo...il&utm_term=0_c8a0818637-8e615e10dc-136355925

Oh my! That's gorgeous!!

I'm sorry I took so long in replying - I kept scanning past this thread thinking "I must read that thread...I was wondering a while ago whether there was such a thing as an old cut pear...."

It only took me a couple of days to realize it was MY thread from a few months back! D'oh!

For reasons that escape me, I ended up buying a 1.72ct G SI1 H&A. It's very nice, but reasonably bloodless. I bought it as a traveling ring and will set it plainly. This, tho, depleted my funds, so antique-anything has had to be placed on the back burner. I'm much more excited about a small .81 ct J VVS1 EC that I bought recently to have made into an E/W band with pears on each side. At their widest, the pears are almost the same width as the EC, and I'm having the whole thing set very low and curved, so it sort of acts like a band as much as an e-ring. It will be an unusual ring, but very wearable. I've attached a photo of the ring I'm styling it on; mine will have a slightly wider EC proportionally, it will be in 18kt yg, and it will be about triple this ctw (the one in the photo is about .5cttw - mine will be just over 1.6cttw). I'm hoping to retain that same sort of band feel, tho, and will wear it with my wedding ring, which is plain comfort fit, milgrain. I like 'different' and I think this will be quite unique. :)

Thanks for remembering this thread, ladies - those stones are amazing! :lickout:

emerald_and_pears_3_a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results