shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there a brilliant side stone besides round and princess??

DanMgy

Rough_Rock
After an exhaustive search and a few trial and errors I found a center stone that works, so I get to move on to the setting search (yeahhh :appl:). I know that she wants a fluted/taper channel style shank. No round or princess (doesn't like look of princess and round shows to much metal). I have been looking and looking but it seems that the only brilliant cut stones that are used for side stones are round, princess and french. By process of elimination round and princess are out and pricing it out, French cuts are a bit of pricey and have a few issues with it. Ultimately if I cannot find something else I am going to take the plunge with the French cut, I know the cuts exist but cannot seem to find any out there.

Does anybody know of or have used an alternative cut and/or know a place to get a setting made using a brilliant cut side stones?

Thanks for your feedback!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Is there a brilliant side stone besides round and prince

Pears, marquise, ovals, half moons, trapazoids, radiants-- all of them can be used as sidestones and all of them can be "brilliant cuts"

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

I was going to say pretty much what Gypsy said, but also: what kind of setting is this for? A 3-stone? A setting with side stones set in prongs, channel-set, etc.? The options will depend on the setting.

DanMgy

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1307050738|2936451 said:
Pears, marquise, ovals, half moons, trapazoids, radiants-- all of them can be used as sidestones and all of them can be "brilliant cuts"

I guess let me add to my original post, I am looking for a square brilliant cut for a channel setting that will be filled in with stones 1/2 to 2/3 of the shank.

I have only seen trapezoids as step cuts and radiant's I believe are chopped off at the corners. I want to fill the channel in completely so there is no metal showing expect the sidewalls.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pricey, but french cuts could fit the bill.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

why not princess? that would be much easier to find than french cuts and less costly.

just curious, what shape is the center stone?

also you could get bead set pave with rounds so as not to have gaps?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Pretty sure French, carre or princess cuts are going to the only ones that can be lined up in a row in a channel with no gaps.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

rubybeth|1307119277|2936953 said:
Pretty sure French, carre or princess cuts are going to the only ones that can be lined up in a row in a channel with no gaps.

Yes, and unless princess cuts are totally heinous to the OP, I would go that route for ease.

DanMgy

Rough_Rock

slg47|1307119042|2936950 said:
why not princess? that would be much easier to find than french cuts and less costly.

I just think Princess cuts that are going to be 2mm across see very busy looking and I know some people love it, they almost seem to have that crushed ice look to them. I know French cost a bit more and but like the aspect of the larger facets, if I could find antique cushions that were close I would love to do that. But that seems like it would cost much more than the French.

also you could get bead set pave with rounds so as not to have gaps?

Looked at that, but she really wants to eliminate the presence of metal except for the edges of the channel setting.

just curious, what shape is the center stone?

The main stone is just under a 2.5ct round brilliant.

DanMgy

Rough_Rock

Dreamer_D|1307119391|2936955 said:
Yes, and unless princess cuts are totally heinous to the OP, I would go that route for ease.

Dreamer... I am WAAAAY past taking the easy route, I figured 'in for a pent, in for a pound'

I know if I end up with princess she will like it, but it will always have that nagging feeling lingering and will only cause more cost of having to change it one day in the future. :sick:

DanMgy

Rough_Rock

rubybeth|1307119277|2936953 said:

Beth, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that a carre cut diamond is a step cut? So pretty much a true square cut emerald or ascher cut but without the corners chopped off, no?

I am really trying to find a brilliant cut, so I get that mirror look that happens with step cuts in a channel setting.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think French cuts are your best option! Apparently they are the precurser to the princess, but have chunkier facets. Carre are steps, precurser to the asscher, but seem to also have square edges, so could work.

Are you working with a very good vendor for the setting who can locate calibrated french cuts for you?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you might like the carre cut diamonds for sidestones in the 2mm size you are talking about...

see images of carre cuts:

carrering.jpg
carrediamond_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results