shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the premium for this Lazare worth it? (specs inside)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nctarheel

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, this is my first post but I have found this board to be quite useful in my search for an engagement ring. To make a long story short, I am in NC and my parents in NJ, I could not find what I wanted here so they have located a stone for me. However, it is a Lazare, and from what I''ve read there is a premium associated with that. Here are the specs (I know, limited but it''s all I have right now). Do you think this price is about right for a a LK?

Lazare Kaplan Diamond:
Color: E
Carat: 1.27
Clarity: VS2 (very close to being VS1 from what they were told)
Table: ~57%
Depth: ~60-61%
Price: 11,000

My mother has spent quite some time with this jeweler and feels she is trustworthy. This woman told my mother that there aren''t more than 20 stones in the US right now that have the cut and quality of this diamond, and it would wow appraisers. Is this over the top or closer to being truthful?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Although on this board you would routinely want a bit more information...in the case of an LK diamond, it may mostly be to confirm what is usually regarded as a well cut stone (and, despite their excellent reputation, I do think you should ask for and get crown & pavilion angle info first)...still...the price seems remarkably without premium at all, given the com-parables on this board, as for example, this one.

And with the generally well know LK name....without having done any further research, I''m surprised at what seems the quite good price. Since you mention it, I presume it''s like the sort of diamond you had in mind.

Twenty in the world or 20,000 (I couldn''t say), based on what are likely to be good data associated with the stone (do get it, by all means, and while you''re at it, read the tutorial on this board...look up....it''s under "Knowledge"), and the associated good performance, I think you''d probably do well with it.

Best wishes,

nctarheel

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your reply. A little background on price, etc. My mother originally brought another diamond to this woman to be appraised (we had it brought to a 2nd place as well so it's not like she's trying to make a deal). It didn't turn out to be what I wanted but my mom was impressed with the woman's honesty. She then said to give her a week and she would look for diamonds in the specs that I wanted. She assured my mother she would sell it to us for only 300 or so profit, at least that's what she said.

Today she quoted my mother 11,500g but I said I wouldn't budge at that, so she came down to 11g. She said she actually got the diamond from a Nordstroms and it had a list price with them of 15,400. (I guess they deal with them...I'm getting it at a Hamilton Jewelers if anyone is familiar in the NE). She has been very good through the process, brought us multiple stones and really said this is a good deal. If I can get the pavilion info i will post it).

Thanks again for your feedback.

Any other opinions?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lazare Kaplan diamonds are really beautiful stones. They set the bar high for exceptionally cut diamonds. I had the pleasure of selling a three stone ring and had loose stones brought in by Lazare Kaplan. This was back in 1992 and the total weight was I think around 2 carats total weight and the price was around 22K. It was one of the most beautiful rings I have ever seen. It was neat because the couple were celebrating their anniversary and she never had an engagement ring.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a year ago i look at a LK, the salesman showed me a GIA 1.25 E SI2 for $8000 that really lit up the room
10.gif
I was impressed. On the other hand, he had some other LK in his showcase that looked dead. I have also seen couple of hearts on fire which didn''t have very much fire. They want lots of money for it. So I guess it all depends on each individual stone; no matter the brand. Every brand claim they are the best cut in the world. I also have seen 8*s, their 8 arrows are definitely broader compared to other ideal cuts and you can tell with a naked eye.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you are worried about it I would see about having it shipped to Dave Atlas or one of the appraisers on here to have them check it out. But it sounds like a hell of a stone to me.

carrot

Rough_Rock
It would be prudent to get the crown and pavilion angles, girdle, culet and fluorescence. If you can''t get an Idealscope image, ask if there is a GemEx Light Performance report. Absent these reports, you could buy yourself an Idealscope and personally look at the stone.

If the girdle is too thin, the stone might be prone to chipping. I would personally not choose a stone with flourescence above faint.

The price appears to be very good, if the diamond is well cut. But at this point, the most important information (cut quality and light return) you don''t have.

Nevertheless, if you have a high enough trust level in a person who knows diamonds, it would be reasonable to rely on them to select a diamond for you.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
That is a good price for an LK. Is this a secondary market stone? News to me that Nordstroms sells LK stones - maybe they do - or maybe they did & are selling old inventory.

Anyhoo, LK diamonds are lovely. They were the first to push ideal cuts - WAY ahead of their time. That said, it is my understanding that within the Lk "cert" discriptions they should list the crown & pavillion angles. At least they do know.

Good luck & see if you can get the other infor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results