shape
carat
color
clarity

Is spread to large

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dontnomuch

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I have found this diamond on the net.
round
H-SI1
1.16ct
6.81-6.85x4.16
depth-61%
table-56%
girdle-0.7-1.2
crown-35.0
pavilion-40.8
p/s-id/id
HCA score-1.5
ex
ex
ex
vg
spread index-6.83 (1.05 for ct)
So, is this stone too shallow? (I and I think my wife will like the fact it will look larger)
But I don''t want a dull stone. HCA looks good but at what spread index do you start losing light?

thanks

ps.Thanks to all of you I have went from knowing nothing to using words like "SPREAD INDEX" in a very short time!!!

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
I am by no means an expert, the tutorial said the spread had to do with the apparent size of the diamond... Those proportions are within an AGS 0 ideal cut I believe... The light leakage should mostly be due to the crown and pavillion angles, but ideal diamonds usually have the best cuts in this respect...Unless you are looking for an absolutely perfectly cut diamond, those proportions are very good indeed.

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to check your calculations. The spread index for this diamond is 6.50mm.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Not that I'm an expert, but I see nothing wrong with these specs...
1.gif

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
All the numbers look very good to me and suggest that the stone is defenitely a contender. My next step would be to ask for an idealscope picture, H&A pictures (if it's being marketed as one), and magnified pictures of the inclusions.

The spread of a diamond is directly related to the depth, and the depth of this stone is right in the middle of the ideal range. No worries there. It is definitely not too shallow. It has the size (diameter) an ideal cut 1.16 carat stone should have. Not too big, not too small.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/28/2004 11:13:06 PM dontnomuch wrote:

HCA looks good but at what spread index do you start losing light?

----------------

That spread has nothing to do with briliance - the other three scores do.

And "very good" as opposed to "Excellent" there means a tad smaller not a tad larger...
read.gif
In the case of your stone, I think the "VG" is relative to what a piece with at most 60% depth would have been - this makes only very, ery few AGS0 stones to get Ex for spread while the other scores are kept "Ex" too
read.gif

It is worth noting that the HCA deduces the spread of the stone from the numbers you plug in (table, depth and angles - not diameter itself). So it is easy to check against other stones of the same weight whether yours does indeed take a significant hit in diameter. As far as I know, any potential loss is immaterial in this case.

And... yes if this stone is supposed to be an ideal cut, than any type of test done directly on the stone (such as Ideal Scope or Brilliance SCope or Isee2) would be more precise than any exercise "by numbers".

Hope this helps
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results