shape
carat
color
clarity

Is SI1 really settling for less?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Detox

Rough_Rock
I have begun to narrow down my diamond search. I am vering some diamonds for potential purchase this weekend.

I am planning on Ideal cut diamonds (0.75ct size) and around H color. However, as for clarity I am a little confused. I have decided nothing less than SI1 but nothing greater than VS1.

If I understand correctly SI1 you can see the inclusions using a 10x magnification and VS2-VS1 you can see the inclusion under 40x magnification. Well if you can''t see them with the naked eye than who cares? It seems as though you are paying extra money for something no one will ever see. In fact, once that ring goes on the finger I can almost guarantee it will never be magnified again.

Is the only "real" difference between SI1 and VS2-VS1 stones the fact that there is something you can see only through increased magnifcation?

If I view two dimaonds of similar specs and both look equally sparkly but one is SI1 and the other VS1 and there is a price difference shouldn''t I just get the SI1 diamond?

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I love my H SI 1 ... if it''s a well-cut diamond and it''s eye clean, you should not have any problems...post all the spec you can and let the experts chime in on it. I''m no pro...but I can say that I don''t feel like we settled with an SI 1...klr

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/8/2005 1:18:16 PM
Author:Detox
I have begun to narrow down my diamond search. I am vering some diamonds for potential purchase this weekend.

I am planning on Ideal cut diamonds (0.75ct size) and around H color. However, as for clarity I am a little confused. I have decided nothing less than SI1 but nothing greater than VS1.

If I understand correctly SI1 you can see the inclusions using a 10x magnification and VS2-VS1 you can see the inclusion under 40x magnification. Well if you can''t see them with the naked eye than who cares? It seems as though you are paying extra money for something no one will ever see. In fact, once that ring goes on the finger I can almost guarantee it will never be magnified again.

Is the only ''real'' difference between SI1 and VS2-VS1 stones the fact that there is something you can see only through increased magnifcation?

If I view two dimaonds of similar specs and both look equally sparkly but one is SI1 and the other VS1 and there is a price difference shouldn''t I just get the SI1 diamond?
Someone has been giving you bogus information. Diamonds are graded up to and including Flawless under 10x magnification.

True, most of us "cheat" and use higher magnification if we don''t find something at 10x then we crank it back down to see if it can still be seen at 10x now that we have found it.

The difference between the two is that the SI has more or larger inclusions than the VS, but visually they should look the same to your unaided eye. Some people are bothered by this and should not buy the SI diamond, others care not the least and should buy the SI as it represents a better value to them. Those are matters of personal taste and pocketbook considerations and not really subject to definitive answers, but there you have my opinion.

Wink

set2374

Rough_Rock
Your definitions of clarity are a little off. Inclusions are visible under 10X magnification with all of these stones. The difference will be the type, size and location of the inclusions. Generally speaking, it will be easier to find an inclusion with a 10X loop on and SI1 than an VS2, easier on a VS2 than an VS1, etc. With SI1 and SI2 stones, most should be "eye clean", but some aren''t. You have to give the stones a very thorough once over in different lighting conditions. What you''re really looking for is the most attractive stone, not the clearest. In my opinion, clarity is the least important of the 4C''s. It does get more hype (along with color), because it''s the easiest C for an inexperienced salesperson to demonstrate. Cut, on the other hand, is probably the most important C, since it has the largest impact on a diamond''s overall beauty, yet it is the hardest to demonstrate to a consumer. It''s easy to look at a grading report and see color and clarity, but GIA really doesn''t grade "cut" (polish and symmetry are very poor substitutes). It sounds to me like you are looking primarily for an eye clean white diamond that is going to sparkle like heck. Assuming this is what you''re looking for, I think an eye clean G-H SI1 would be a very nice choice for you. I am assuimg you''re price range is between $2,200 and $2,800?? In my experience, the differences (both in terms of price and appearance) between color and clarity grades is more evident the larger the carat weight. I would focus on getting the nicest cut stone you can find, but I might look for a a slightly larger than ideal table, something in the 61% range. This will give the stone a larger overall appearance. If you choose well, you could get a beautifully cut .75 carat stone with the brilliance, fire and scintillation you want, but have an appearance that will make it hard to distinguish size-wise from a 1 carat stone costing substantially more. That''s my 2 cents anyway. Good luck!

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Hey Detox! Love the name, he..he! I have a 1.76 diamond with an I1 grading that has lots of iclusions under a scope. Only one shows in bright sunlight if you look at it closely without a scope & it doesn''t bother me a bit! It''s a good cut & sparkles like crazy. I''d say save some money & go for the SI1!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
First and foremost - get a diamond with a GREAT CUT!

Regarding clarity - remember -- all SIs are not created equal, so you really need to see the stone for yourself -or- have a respected vendor look at it for you and give you a report. GORGEOUS, totally eye-clean SI2s are out there (I know because I just bought one!). Now THAT is a fabulous find! My humble opinion is this... eyeclean is eyeclean is eyeclean... why pay for something you can''t see? I''d rather put that money toward... SIZE!
31.gif

Lynn

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on the size, color, and placement of the inclusions. Sometimes an SI1 or SI2 or even an I1 will have an inclusion that will vanish completely if you set it under a prong.

I have an SI2 with an interesting moon-shaped inclusion near the girdle. I used to enjoy looking at it with a loupe, and I''m sure someone with good eyesight could have seen it pretty easily if they looked closely with their bare eyes. Then I had the diamond reset and the setter put the inclusion under a prong, and now I can''t see it at all. I''ve studied the diamond carefully with my loupe, and I can''t even tell which prong the inclusion is under.

I actually like inclusions--I think they can be neat looking--and if I weren''t so lazy I''d take my ring back to the jeweler and ask him to rotate the diamond so I could see my inclusion again.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 4.10 SI2 and I cannot see any inclusions with the naked eye. Under a ten power loupe there are several but they do not affect the appearance of the stone so, as you say, Who cares?' Diamonds are not a good investment so you do not have to worry about resale. Get the best cut, color and size and do not hesitate to look for SI stones. You really have to see them for yourself because some are much better than others.

icemyster

Shiny_Rock
SI1 is a great combination of beuaty an practicality...I too have seen I1 stones that are eye-clean and totally beautiful...Go for the SI1 and don''t look back...

Like another poster said...put the $$$ into size!

All the best in your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results