shape
carat
color
clarity

Is J color that bad? Looking for a Diamond, 2-3 Carats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

psyflyer

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Im looking for an emerald cut Diamond, VS2 or better, J color, VG cut or better. And I dont want to go over $20,000.

So far I am giving up clarity for color and want to make sure im doing the right thing. For example I found on USA Certed 2.75 J VS1 66.1% 63% GIA sl thk no vg ex no 9.01*7.02*4.64 $5735 and found on James Allen 2.75 J VS1 66.1% 63% GIA sl.tk vg ex n 9.01x7.02x4.64 1.28 -3%. Im trying to figure out what I should be looking for especially since these online retailers are pruchases sight unseen.

I would love advice in what I should be careful for or tips on how should i approach this. So far I think I am comfortable giving up clarity and color for cut (but maybe I shouldnt?) Does J have a true yellow, noticeable tint to it? Would love some expert advice from you Diamond Gods... I would truely appreciate it.

Also, what is Cul Sym Pol Flr ? (and vg = very good, ex = exemplery? and when it says no it means it doesnt have it?)

After I buy this Im probably going to go and get a setting for this and also there I would truely appreciate input. Little does she know that her ring is essentially coming from you guys instead from me!!! eheehehe oh boy.

Edit to Note: Im in Boston and Im soaking up as much info on this great website (i have for the past couple of weeks). Pls let me know should you know any good jewlers around here, id appreciated. And thanks very much for these replies.. truely helpful.

For example Im due to be in SouthAfrica in a couple of months... would it be wise to wait and by a loose stone there? And am a frequent traveller to Belgium (antwerp), would it be wise to wait till im there again? thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ps, I'm no expert, but I do own an emerald cut. They show color more, and I personally would not go with a J. I would go no lower than a G, if it were me. Thing is, this cut just shows everything more. And cut is everything.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but with your budget, you can still get a nice stone, even if you have to raise the bar on color. VS1 is a nice clarity for this cut, that's what mine is. Might be able to do a VS2.

Cul=Culet=bottom facet

Sym=Symmetry

Pol=Polish

Flr=Fluorescence

The tutorial at the top of the page can elaborate on these!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Generally step cuts such as EC's and Asschers can show more colour than a round, especially the larger you go. Tierhog bought a fantastic J colour Royal Asscher recently, but that was a 2 ct and smaller than the one you propose. Colour is such a tricky thing, really it would be best if you could see some in person of a similar size and shape and graded by GIA to get a true picture of the colour. A VS1 should be a safe choice for clarity, cut quality can depend, there is a chart for fancy shapes which I will post in a moment which might help, but generally fancies are best evaluated by your own eyes. USA Certed and JA are great vendors who will advise you and have a good return policy, but my best advice is to see if you can see some in person in a J to see if it is fine for you, or too much colour. Some here with an EC feel that going above a G or H for example is too warm for them personally, but it really is up to the individual. And yes, you really need to find the best cut you can get, use the chart and your eyes to help you. That is a nice budget you have, take your time and spent it carefully and research your options before pulling the trigger, it will be time well spent!

Here is the chart. http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

psyflyer

Rough_Rock
WOW these things go fast!!

the diamond i was looking at its gone!

2.61 I VS2 64.5% 74% GIA vt-t no vg vg no 9.86x6.65x4.29 $6728 $17559

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
To answer your question about whether a J has a noticeable yellow tint... yes it definitely does to me. I can even see yellow in an H but then I have developed an eye for colour because it has become important to me since I first became interested in diamonds. Personally I would not go below an F which is pretty fussy (G is considered by many to be the sweet spot) especially in a stone of that size and especially with an emerald cut. I have a round E colour 1.5cts and I gaze through the side of it as much as I look at it from the top because it is so gorgeous and clear.

Of course it is all opinion and I just wanted to share mine to let you know that although some people don''t mind what colour their stone is there are some people who do really appreciate and adore the beauty of colourless diamonds.

GC from NZ

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/15/2006 12:45:08 PM
Author: psyflyer
WOW these things go fast!!

the diamond i was looking at its gone!

2.61 I VS2 64.5% 74% GIA vt-t no vg vg no 9.86x6.65x4.29 $6728 $17559

Not to worry, it obviously wasn''t the one and the right diamond will come up now!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
J color is not bad at all, but as others have said, with an emerald cut which is more ''transparent'' looking than a round brilliant or another stone with more facets, you will see more body color in it. so you may not feel comfortable with the visual comparison of something like an EC 3c J vs an EC 3c H or something similar, but if you saw a 3c RB J vs a 3c RB H you may notice LESS of a color variation. the cut of the stone is important as to how much body color shows or is hidden. good luck!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen an emerald cut stone that belongs to a PS member, Tacori-Ering, and it is I color and very beautiful. Here is a picture and you can find others around here. I personally wouldn''t go lower than I. I chose H for my round stone.

Tacoriering1.jpg

psyflyer

Rough_Rock
thanks for the great info.

Friday im stopping by my local jewler to see the difference for myself. I feel much more empowered now after staring @ PS for the past week or so.

In any event I wont go with lower than I, what do you think of this:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?__fun_frm=i&pid=LD00365490&filter_id=0

Really trying to make an educated decision also on mounting this rock on a ring... and input greatly appreciated it.

kipp

Rough_Rock
Welcome to PS - you''ve come to the right place, and it''s great to see that you''ve got a sizeable budget and that you''ve balanced your priorities with the 4Cs

I''m a big time newbie, but the one thing I noticed from looking at diamonds recently with my GF is that J was where I started to see color, so I think that you''ve made a good choice to stick with I or better. Also, I''d step it down a bit on the clarity side if I were you if it helps you get more value and a larger stone. You will not see anything with your eyes in a VS2 and very well may not even in an SI1. I chose a 2.52 ct. Round I SI1 H&A AGS000 cut stone for my GF (soon to be fiancee), and it''s eye clean and looks gigantic.

Not sure how diff. cuts play out in emerald shape, but perhaps you could go down a bit in size if it means getting a better cut, brighter stone? After all, the most important characteristic for round diamonds is the cut. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results