shape
carat
color
clarity

Is It Possible That J.Allen Accidentally Sold At A Lower Price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

burberries5

Rough_Rock
Okay...this is going to sound crazy but hear me out.

I recently made a post regarding a diamond I got for my lady. Here are the specs:

Round Round
Lab: AGS
Carat: 1.58
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Depth: 60.7
Table: 57
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 7.56*7.58*4.59

Table Diameter: 56.6
Crown Height: 15.0
Pavilion Depth: 43.5
Crown Angle: 34.7
Pavilion Angle: 41.1
Girdle: 0.5 to 3.5 faceted
Culet: says "pointed"
Top to Bottom: 60.7%
Shape: Round Brilliant
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 3.0 (J)
Clarity Grade: AGS 2 (VVS2)
Carat Weight: 1.588
Comments: "Fluorescence: Medium Blue"

I purchased it for $6810. However, I SWEAR a week or so before purchasing, I remembered this diamond being higher around $7,000/8,000 something. When another week passed of browsing and wishing and dreaming to find a big diamond for cheap, I came across the diamond mentioned above for $6,810! I ordered it on impulse even though I was skeptical of a beauty of a J.

In the back of my mind I remembered comparing this $6810 with some other diamonds on James Allen but I remembered it was priced above my budget. (I recalled it around close to $8000.)

Today I was cleaning out my emails and came across this thing I emailed to myself about 2 weeks ago. What it was was the comparison chart function on James Allen which I had cut and pasted in a Word doc so that I can view at home the diamonds I liked found during surfing at work.

My point here is...on that chart that I had cut and pasted... it lists the SAME J diamond I purchased for $6810 as $7750!!!

Do you think J.Allen messed up when they sold this diamond to me at $6810? (At the time of purchase, I did recall thinking to myself that "hey...wasn''t this diamond higher priced last week?" I did not mention this in my other post because I thought maybe I was just confused by all the diamonds I had been scouting. But now with this old email...I don''t think I imagined anything.

Is this possible?!?!?!?
6.gif
Sorry if this post sounds confusing.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure it's possible-but it's more likely that they lowered the price on it for some reason...diamond prices fluctuate.

GoSharks

Rough_Rock
Since I am in diamond shopping mode, the price struck me immediately as lower than I would expect, when I saw the other thread. A trip over to JA confirmed all other comparable inventory was higher than that.

Given that diamond margins I believe can be as low as 10% at some online vendors (typically the BN type, probably not a full service place like JA), it seems like you took that diamond off them at or near cost (12% price drop from 7750 to 6810).

Hows it feel to purchase wholesale? Must be nice.
31.gif

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 1:00:58 AM
Author: GoSharks
Since I am in diamond shopping mode, the price struck me immediately as lower than I would expect, when I saw the other thread. A trip over to JA confirmed all other comparable inventory was higher than that.

Given that diamond margins I believe can be as low as 10% at some online vendors (typically the BN type, probably not a full service place like JA), it seems like you took that diamond off them at or near cost (12% price drop from 7750 to 6810).

Hows it feel to purchase wholesale? Must be nice.
31.gif
JA can be cheaper than BN good value with them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 12:51:56 AM
Author: neatfreak
Sure it''s possible-but it''s more likely that they lowered the price on it for some reason...diamond prices fluctuate.
Ditto

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Whatever the reason, you definitely got a great deal (steal!). Congratulations, and please post pictures after the proposal!!

less_confused

Rough_Rock
I raised this same question recently.
It seems like prices have dropped over the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results