shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it just me...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
..or are tapered baguette settings more expensive than you might think?

I was recently setting shopping and really wanted a setting like this:
http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_20391

I was surprised how expensive they are though compared to other diamond side stone/accent stone settings. They often seemed pricier than other setting with similar carat weights even though the design is so simple. Is it because cutting baguettes are more expensive than rounds?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know but that they seem more expensive is good to know because I have been considering a baguetteful setting for the next stone I want to set.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I've been shopping for a setting as well and that's one of my top picks. I haven't gotten any quotes from PS vendors yet, just visiting a few local places to see how my stone would look in different types of settings. A baguette style setting with .50ctw F VS bag's in Plat was $3k at one of the places :-o I'm still not 100% sure how I want to set my sapphire but if I spend that $$ I sure as heck want more than two skinny bags. Of course I'll be using a PS vendor anyway.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOo gypse that really is gorgeous!

@woofmama: hehe I'm setting a sapphire too!

Yeah, I was doing some setting shopping in jewelers row here in philly, hitting up my usual places which is a mix of independent jewelers, estate sellers, etc. Looked at some stock settings and had a set price range, really liked the look of the tapered baguette settings but was surprised how much pricier they were compared to other settings of similar side stone carat weight. I ended up just happening to find a pre-loved one (had a diamond that had been removed) that was in my budget, but it was about the same price as a new stock setting with round diamond accents of equal weight, lol. I snapped it up!

I actually have a tsav ring in a setting with tapered baguettes but they are shorter than the new setting, and I had bought it preloved from another pricescoper who had also gotten it preloved so I had no idea how expensive they were new!

I was wondering if a jeweler who sources the stones might chime in, I can only think that tapered baguettes are just not cut as often so supply and demand makes them more expensive?

I attached some terrible cell pics of my sapphire and the setting I picked out. I'm supposed to pick it up next week. Fingers crossed, it's a new jeweler I haven't used before.

photo_1036.jpg

photo_1037.jpg

photo_1038.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1418268136|3799257 said:
I agree, they are much more expensive than you might think.

One of my favorite brands, MaeVona has very reasonable settings. http://www.maevona.com/

But their taperred baguette setting :cry: which is beautiful is REALLY expensive last time I priced it. http://www.maevona.com/product/MVBB_TOR

I love MaeVona too! That setting you linked is gorgeous :love: You always find the most amazing settings!

Just saw this on their site for an asscher cut: http://www.maevona.com/product/MVA63_ELL Gorgeous! Sorry for the threadjack.
Maybe I should start a thread for settings.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1418270270|3799278 said:
OOo gypse that really is gorgeous!

@woofmama: hehe I'm setting a sapphire too!

Yeah, I was doing some setting shopping in jewelers row here in philly, hitting up my usual places which is a mix of independent jewelers, estate sellers, etc. Looked at some stock settings and had a set price range, really liked the look of the tapered baguette settings but was surprised how much pricier they were compared to other settings of similar side stone carat weight. I ended up just happening to find a pre-loved one (had a diamond that had been removed) that was in my budget, but it was about the same price as a new stock setting with round diamond accents of equal weight, lol. I snapped it up!

I actually have a tsav ring in a setting with tapered baguettes but they are shorter than the new setting, and I had bought it preloved from another pricescoper who had also gotten it preloved so I had no idea how expensive they were new!

I was wondering if a jeweler who sources the stones might chime in, I can only think that tapered baguettes are just not cut as often so supply and demand makes them more expensive?

I attached some terrible cell pics of my sapphire and the setting I picked out. I'm supposed to pick it up next week. Fingers crossed, it's a new jeweler I haven't used before.

Lucky you finding a pre-loved setting that work with your stone! Gorgeous sapphire MTG! I really think these bag settings look fab with gemstones, it really makes the stone pop :)) Tomorrow I'm going to visit another jeweler so maybe I'll get lucky too. My sapphire is a Jeff White asscher, I was planning on recreating Neatfreaks ring that she sold right about when I joined PS.

I would also love to hear from jewelers on this if any care to shed some light on the cost.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I love living in philly because there are like 30 jewelers all in a row so you can almost always find something perfect in your budget because everyone has a different mix of new, stock, pre loved, and clearance items. And all the places being so close together keeps the prices pretty competitive because they all know that if their quotes are too off from the other places, you won't be coming back. It makes for some very efficient setting shopping! I literally go in, tell them what I'm looking for and my price range, and they point out my options.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Makingthegrade - love these pics of your stone so much more than the vendor pics!

Woofmama - AHHHHHH the neatfreak sapphire ring is one of my faves - can't wait to see your version of it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even way back when, when I was shopping around for quotes for a baguette setting with the usual PS favourite vendors, I found that a halo setting costs less than a baguette setting.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore baguette diamonds and I see them when browsing Diamonds by Lauren (have spent many many hours looking, after discovering him on Pricescope, but haven't bought anything.)

He offers baguette settings. The double baguette is ctw 0.34 and costs from $1795 in 14k:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-double-baguette-in-white-or-yellow-gold

There is also a single baguette setting priced from $1495 for 0.25 ctw. http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-14kt-w25ctw-single-baguettes-available-in-all-metals

I recently acquired a preloved sapphire necklace with baguette sides by trading some unloved jewelry at my local place, but don't have time to post it yet. Weather is so gray and dull I can't get nice shots, so it will probably have to wait until next week. However, this is a great way to obtain baguette diamonds for a ring setting ( although I'm keeping my necklace). You could look at any type of jewelry that has baguettes - preloved probably best - and do a trade if you have unloved pieces lying around.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it is not you!!! They are shockingly so! I am still trying stuff on, and tried a few of those on, because I love the look. I got pricing from a few places because it was on the list and was SHOCKED at how high the cost on those would be. I guess I really didn't think of baguettes as a particularly pricey cut, ever, and I was in for a rude awakening when I started to really price it out for sourcing. I realize that there's a lot to the ratio with selection but still! Wow!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, and I think it's not just baguettes, but specifically the tapered ones.
The setting I saw with straight ones didn't seem as expensive either

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back when I was shopping for my oval chryso. I found baguette settings on eBay for like 200! Lots of them!

No I can't find any for less than 1k (I mean I am sure I could but you get what I mean lol )

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
MTG it has been a while since I looked at these settings but I also was surprised. I didn't look at any in person on Jewelers Row, but I really still haven't mastered shopping there. Looking online a few years ago though (also for a sapphire setting...its still languishing in a box) i thought they were super pricey. Sometimes Dover has them used, but not sure whether the savings would offset the need to rebuild the head for a larger stone (not sure what size you've got).

Not to threadjack, but saw I what looked to me to be a very pretty 2.6+ ct OEC with 2 small triangular sapphires over at the big estate dealer on 8th street. He had it labeled as L -- I would guess it might be a little lower, but it caught my eye in the window (difficult with all that clutter!). I wish I knew more about OECs (and had unlimited funds!). Just in case you or any of the other Philly folks is looking for something along those lines. I never know here to post that sort of thing.

Vampira

Rough_Rock
I'm glad it wasn't all just in my mind! I knew from the start that my dream setting was something with tapered baguettes, but I was trying to keep my entire purchase under $2,000. Hard to do, even with online shopping!

We do live in a bigger city with many jewelry options, and ultimately we had a lot of luck just going to a couple antique stores. It's such a classic style and halos are so in right now that I actually saw more baguette styles sitting around ignored in corners of display cases than I was ever expecting. If anyone wants tapered baguettes and is open to pre-owned, there are some lovely finds on the antique market.

(Edited to add: Even though I got a very modest ring, I saw p-l-e-n-t-y of much larger baguettes set in all sorts of metals. They're out there!)

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
David Klass tweeted.a photo of an OEC in a baguette setting that was breathtaking a bit ago. I'd always liked halos so was surprised by how much I loved that DK ring. I haven't priced it, though, and until now thought it was probably cheaper than a halo. Sorry to hear that's probably not the case.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lizabeth|1418391357|3800017 said:
David Klass tweeted.a photo of an OEC in a baguette setting that was breathtaking a bit ago. I'd always liked halos so was surprised by how much I loved that DK ring. I haven't priced it, though, and until now thought it was probably cheaper than a halo. Sorry to hear that's probably not the case.

Yeah, on the second hand market I've found they're cheaper than halos because estate brokers can't move them as easily, but buying them new seems more expensive than halos. Still don't know why...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results