shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it better to send diamond to another lab for certification than to go to an independent appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jpoon79

Rough_Rock
This may be a really dumb question, but I figured I rather get blasted and get an educated answer, than be left wondering, and possibly making wrong decision on my own. I tried to search the forums and the internet in general to see if I could get an answer without having to ask this myself, but I couldn''t find any topics related to this. So here it goes anyways....

It seems that the logical step for most people after purchasing a diamond online, is to go to a third party independent appraiser to ensure and validate the accompanying diamond grading certificate.

The questions I am proposing is this, if a qualified appraiser charges approximately $100, would it be better to spend that same dollar amount and send it to another qualified lab? To put it more simply, an AGS stone to GIA, or a GIA stone to AGS?

Since it is the appraisers job to validate the qualities of the diamond, wouldn''t it be best to have the other top diamond certification laboratory do it then?

I''ll reiterate, that this may be a stupid question, but I am just looking at if from the perspective of cost. Why have an appraiser who has studied the parameters and requirements set forth by a specific lab, when you can have the lab do it directly for the same amount.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's what I would do.

I have personally driven GIA diamonds that I had purchased online down to GIA in Carlsbad California for verification.
Both times it was free.
I believe now they charge a fee for this service.
You do not have to be in the industry to submit a loose diamond to GIA.

I think you do have to be in the industry to submit a diamond to AGS though.
You can have an AGS jeweler send it in for you but then you are feeding two mouths.

I have nothing against appraisers.
They fill a legit need.
But why not go directly to either of those two main labs if you can?
I suspect a report from GIA or AGS carries more weight than paper from an appraiser if you ever need to sell.

Oh and be prepared for the possibility that the grades will not match exactly - even the same lab's grade may vary by one grade.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That's not a bad idea, JP, if you're just looking for confirmation of quality.

Most people go with an appraiser though for several different reasons.

An appraiser supplies a retail replacement value, which can be used for insurance purposes. The major labs do not appraise, but only report characteristics.

An appraiser is typically more "user friendly" answering any questions you may have about the diamond. Major labs are not into answering questions.

An appraiser usually takes photos, while most major labs do not.

Many appraisers supply additional info, such as Idealscope or ASET images.

Most appraisers will have a quicker turn around time than a major lab.

jpoon79

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input Kenny

I purchased a AGS000 stone that is F in color and is an eye clean SI1. I was told that it is an exceptional SI1, much closer to a VS2 rating.

At this point, I was going to get it appraised, but thought, well if the appraiser is GIA certified, why not send it to GIA directly.

Unfortunately for me, it will not be free, but will be a touch more expensive soley from shipping costs. I feel if is definitely worth the slight increase in price, since it is directly from the lab, just didn''t know if it was significant difference in the services they provided that I may be overlooking.

Are there any opponents to this???

FB.

Brilliant_Rock
For stones above about 0.9ct, most of the GIA or equivalent lab certs have a fairly accurate inclusion plot (unique fingerprint), showing their type and location.
Diamonds in the VS and SI clarity grades can usually have their inclusions detected if you use a 10x magnifier. With a slighty higher power (15x) and excellent lighting, you can manage to read the laser-inscription on the girdle.

jpoon79

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rich.

Looks like you hit submit a second before I did! Those are some valuable points that you just brought up, that I will now need to mull over.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2009 2:46:16 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
An appraiser is typically more 'user friendly' answering any questions you may have about the diamond. Major labs are not into answering questions.
Hold on.

Last time I went to the GIA in Carlsbad to verify a diamond I asked nicely and a woman who had graded diamonds there for 30 years spent around 30 minutes with me answering lots of my questions.
She took me to a room with a stereo gem microscope and taught me lots of stuff.
Of course, I AM a very charming guy in person.
2.gif

Also, with the first diamond I called first and brought the stone in when they opened and picked it up later that same day.
The second time it took them 2 days.

I'm not arguing Richard.
This is just my experience.
21.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2009 2:51:09 PM
Author: kenny

Date: 11/21/2009 2:46:16 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
An appraiser is typically more ''user friendly'' answering any questions you may have about the diamond. Major labs are not into answering questions.
Hold on.

Last time I went to GIA to verify a diamond I asked nicely and a woman who had graded diamonds there for 30 years spent around 30 minutes with me answering lots of my questions.
She took me to a room with a stereo gem microscope and taught me lots of stuff.
Of course, I AM a very charming guy in person.
2.gif

Also, with the first diamond I called first and brought the stone in when they opened and picked it up later that same day.
The second time it took them 2 days.

I''m not arguing Richard.
This is just my experience.
21.gif
I''m referring to the average client who has to ship their diamond, not a charmer like you who takes it direct to the lab.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acknowledged.
Plus you have way more experience than I.
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have next to no clients where all they want to know is if the stone matches the report. So few, in fact, that I no longer even offer this as a service. Nearly always, the root of the questions are about other details not included by the lab, condition, a second opinion on the accuracy of the lab grading, craftsmanship evaluation on the mountings, a valuation as it relates to a particular marketplace and written and signed documentation of all of the above. If all you need is a ‘certificate matching’ service I think you can find it for quite a bit less than $100 at your local jeweler. It’s not usually all that difficult.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Like Neil, most of my clients have lots of questions outside the
scope of just matching the diamond to the lab report.

Because appraisers who post on this thread do not sell diamonds,
you can get an amazing education and a real world discussion on
any topic relating to diamonds and jewelry in a non threatening
friendly environment. One on one. It''s a cool concept that we embrace.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

jpoon79

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the input!

Given the lack of my ability to attempt and try and charm GIA into a free session, there are simply too far, and I will probably have a high chance of failure.

More importantly, the chance to really have time to sit down and speak with someone who would be willing (well, paid to) answer all my questions, provide me with further knowledge, and even advise if the stone is worth keeping, is definitely a huge plus.

I have decided to schedule an appointment with Patrick Davis located in the Los Angeles area.

Does anyone have anything to share regarding his services? There are quite a few appraisers recommended on PS for LA, and I''m not sure if one may be better than the other

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a reminder.

I did not say GIA does free grading.
I wrote they used to verify that a GIA-graded stone matched its GIA report for free if you deliver the loose stone and report or pay for shipping, but now I believe they charge a fee for verification.

jpoon79

Rough_Rock
Oh I guess that doesn''t matter then. My stone is graded by AGS, and what I was debating on doing, was having GIA grade the stone issue another certificate according to thier standards. I was basically replacing the appraisal with another grading.

I figured it would be similar to an appraisal since the quality of the stone would have 2 opinions, independent of each other, from the 2 top labs in the US market.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think this is a great idea.

I had my diamond appraised, I had a lot of questions about the setting as well as the diamond so I found it well worth the expense. If I ever needed to sell my diamond, though, I''d be shipping it to AGS pronto - it''s one of those few GIAvg AGS0s.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The appraisers answering this must be not seen to be touting for business.

What they are trying to politely say is they will tell you if its a good diamond to buy or not.
The labs report the features they know they can more or less do with consistency.
They dont care if it is good or not for you and your purposes.

Let rip please Neil Rich and Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results