shape
carat
color
clarity

Is H&A worth the premium to the unaided eye?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happytraveler

Rough_Rock
What percentage of the general population do you believe could tell the difference in normal light conditions between a 1 ct H&A stone and a non H&A with virtually identical angles (so perhaps their BrillianceScope scores were the same)… One of those “all other things being equal” questions.

I''m trying to decide if H&A is worth the $500-$800 PPC premium over ideal (at 1 ct).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
happytraveler,

Chat with some of the vendors here or just play with the search engine on the front page. I don't think you'll find the H&A premium to all that high if you are really comparing using stones cut with similar angles. Whether you like the look is largely a matter of taste, not really one of budget.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not sure the premium is that high, but I could be wrong. I doubt that the brilliance scores would be the same on an ideal and an ideal Hearts and Arrows that had the same angles etc, but as I am not a cutter I may be wrong on that also.

I am constantly amazed at the added brilliance that I see on a well made H&A stone, not the steep and deeps, but something like the Venus by Infinity that Paul Slegers cuts in Antwerp.

I do know that many of my clients love to look through the H&A viewer both before and after that stone is set, and that just knowing the Hearts are there seems emotionally very important to many of them.

Wink

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

My diamond is near h&a and does have some arrows visable to the naked eye, but is just considered "ideal cut," and compared to Hearts on Fire diamonds, I could not tell the difference. My stone sparkles just as much. Online you can find great deals so if you're shopping this way, you may not have to pay such a premium, but if you shop B&M, the mark up is astronomical!

Compare some stones in real life and look at stores that sell H&A and compare these to the best idea cut stones the store has to offer and check out both under the scope to make sure the ideal cut has near arrows because this is the right approach to comparing apples to apples
1.gif
and see if YOU can tell the difference.

Good luck,
Michelle

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
In searching for my e rock, I only noticed a premium for good cut and not for H&A branding. However, typically a H&A will be a good cut and thus cost more than the average rock.

To test this just use the "seach by cut quality" link on the home page https://www.pricescope.com/sift.asp

You'll discover that most rocks with a good cut have a good HCA number, have good angles and are either H&A branded or they exhibit a strong symetry when you look at a picture or idealscope. You'll also see very similar pricing.

The non H&A stones with HCA div>

Net, I think a H&A is just one of the tools to help identify a good cut, along with the HCA score and the idealscope image. I'm basing my decision on all these tools.

Cheers

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
While some super ideals as they are called like 8 star are very expensive on the wholesale end, but I would say worth it for the person that will pay for extra wow. While I disagree that B&M will have huge markups as many of us compete with anyone. There are good and bad, expensive and not in any city. Like I have said before, you don't have to pay much extra to have H&A as the cuteness was discovered not cut that way to make them H&A. Hearts on Fire or a few other brands carry only that type of cutting and make stores buy into a program, and promise not to discount them. Then you will pay too much for it. Many diamonds just happen to have the H&A information along with the cert which is nice to know but won't cost you anymore than if no one checked for it. It will just sell faster with it. AGS did an interesting study on why you can take several diamonds that are all F, VS1, Ideal cut, 1ct rounds and so many of them look different. Select the one that is the prettiest diamond you can afford, have it checked out by an idependent appraiser, and enjoy.
Scott

happytraveler

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your comments. I have zero emotional attachment to H&A, so my question is all about verifiable objective beauty, with just the naked eye.

I guessed that the H&A premium was about $500-$800 per carat by using pricescope's "Price Stats" link. On the 1-1.49 page, when you look at the average prices for any H&A vs the 1A cut at the same point on the grid, it looks about $500-$800 greater.

H&A *should* cost more than ideal cuts (by ideal I mean great table/crown/pavilion and above average polish/symmetry), it should take a more skilled cutter and more time to cut.

My gut feel is that the symmetry you gain with a H&A stone should increase the scintillation more than brilliance or fire.

So will the untrained eye see the difference?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes it is as far as Im concerned.
Check out:
www.goodoldgold.com
he has some ags0 diamonds up look at the b-scope results and compare them to the h&a diamonds.
While the B-scope isnt perfect it gives an indication of the differences you will see.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
As a educated but only a "consumer" I have to say, yes I feel that I notice a difference.

My stone is a H&A - but not a HOF or 8* - so yes, you can get them for less than say, those particular companies offer.

But being newly engaged, and a part of the stone selection process, I did get a chance to look at a lot - as well as check out my friends' stones.

In certain lights - (i.e. halogen, and office lighting) - a well cut stone can look great - and some non well cut stones too. Where I notice a HUGE difference is in diffused light situations - i.e. out to dinner at a restaurant - sitting in the living room watching TV
1.gif
... My rock sparkles like crazy - where others can look kinda dead...

I'm sure "well cut" and "well proportioned" diamonds can perform in different situations - I second the reccomendation to take a look at brillancescope results on GOG's website.

I wasn't particularly tied to the "hearts" pattern... but I do see my arrows every day!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results