shape
carat
color
clarity

Is EGL USA reliable for an EC?

cl21

Rough_Rock
EGL USA shows crown height of an EC, which is an essential component for a step cut...

what do you think about this one? the table % and depth % look good....I know can't shop an EC by numbers :(
Is anyone able to tell the light performance of this stone by the angle?

And what about EGL Israel? reliable?

screen_shot_2014-04-24_at_11.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

little_birdie

Rough_Rock
Having seen the last few threads I'm starting to feel Gypsy's pain too...Please just take her advice and get help from GOG!
If going it alone was easy then Gypsy would not have directed you to seek a vendor's help.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've told him again and again that numbers mean nothing with ECs. And here he is asking about angles. AGAIN. FACETING AND IMAGES AND LIGHT PERFORMANCE. Not numbers! Not angles. He's already picked a bunch of duds and wasted his 3 ASETs on them at JA. When, IF he had posted them asking me if they were worth getting ASETs of, I would have told them they were duds just from the videos. He wants to go it alone. Thinks he knows better. I've told him his l/w ratio coupled with his budget is ruling out gorgeous stones and that he should loosen the l/w ratio. REPEATEDLY.

As for GOG telling you there was nothing worth buying. If you TOOK MY ADVICE and got rid of the L/W ratio issue I get they would be able to find you lovely stones. Particularly if you expanded to H and I color and clarity to eyeclean.

But no. You know better.

EGL Isreal is pretty one of the worst EGL labs. Even with EGL USA that G could EASILY be an I or lower. But most probably isn't a G at all.

It is a waste of time to try to help some people. And you've not proven to me in this thread that you are one of them.

I'm done. OP. You want to go it alone. Congratulations. You can do that in peace.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
After dealing with GOG so recently and knowing at first they didn't have something in stock that suited me either, that isn't usually their reply? Normally they would ask for a hundred dollar fee to source stones that could be used towards the purchase.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
What's the problem OP? You came here for help and were told GOG is the go to vendor for EC's. Everyone on this board will tell you that. I don't believe that GOG would ever tell anyone they don't have anything! They always come through.

Just_Starting

Shiny_Rock
If any beginner bothers to come to PriceScope and ignores the help/thinks they know better then they're not worth spending time on. If you don't listen to Gypsy then you really are a fool. If I were you I'd take the advice and go to GOG and apologise for time wasting here.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cl21|1398396009|3659606 said:
EGL USA shows crown height of an EC, which is an essential component for a step cut...
It tells you the crown height but knowing that tells you NOTHING about how well cut or sparkly it is.
what do you think about this one? the table % and depth % look good....I know can't shop an EC by numbers :(
If you know that you cannot shop for ECs by the numbers, then why are you still shopping by the numbers? As you've experienced, even when the depth and table percentages are in the 60% to 65% range, you still only found duds.
Is anyone able to tell the light performance of this stone by the angle?
Sorry, but no.
And what about EGL Israel? reliable?
Absolutely not. If compared to a GIA lab report, it is several grades lower in colour and clarity, sometimes up to 4 grades lower.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono has given you excellent advice.
We do get a lot of calls from many people shopping the way you're trying to do – it's not all that unusual.
But, in every case the result is the same thing.
EGL graded stones appeal to people who think they can outsmart the diamond dealers and get a bargain on a misgraded diamond. They're always wrong.
Chrono mentioned four grades difference – we have seen as much as 8 to 10 grades difference between a properly graded stone by GIA and what is listed on EGL Israel report.
There are many different vendors recommended on this board – try a few and see who you get along best with. That would be the best advice I could give.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll just have to say that you are not understanding if you haven't gotten the idea yet that you can't choose a fancy cut diamond by a grading report. And GIA is the only reliable lab for EC's.

This is so easy and you have been told multiple times. All you have to do is call GOG and ask them to please call in some EC's for you and your budget is XYZ. Simple.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cl21- I can understand a person getting frustrated if they feel like they have offered advice, and it was not heeded...BUT
As I have mentioned, it's a very common question people h ve because the marketing of EGL stones is designed to confuse consumers.
You came here for assistance, and I'd love to see you get it, without harsh judgment.

A few points to keep in mind:
1) consumers here may be very well educated, in an internet sort of way. Does that make them an "expert"?
Tradespeople here are identified - if you are seeking an expert's advice, keep that in mind. Also keep in mind that tradespeople are not allowed to comment on items being offered by a specific seller- so we can answer general questions, but not comment on a stone where the seller is known.
2) as consumers, a given poster may have had experience with one seller- and strongly recommend them- of course that's the right of the consumer posting. BUT- different consumers will have had different experiences with a given seller.
An analogy: I might feel McDonalds has the best burgers- and say so in a very insistent manner- but others who may or may not add to the conversation may feel as strongly about Wendy's.

Try to get a more varied picture.
Although its less common for expert tradespeople to post lately, you can still find them- and to see more vendors, there's a Resource showing featured vendors

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A couple final notes.

I have never bought from GOG. And I've frankly had disagreements with Jon on these boards for everyone to see.

My recommendation for working with them them comes from being on these boards for 9 years and seeing that whenever there is a difficult step cut being looked for GOG is the only vendor to come through with a stone worth buying. ERD is the only other vendor that has sometimes come through, but it's much more seldom. still Mark has a great eye for fancies.

So why do I recommend GOG? Because I've been trying very hard not to let my personal feelings for vendors get in the way of helping people find diamonds. This wasn't always true, and I felt I did a disservice to our posters, so I've changed that. Now I recommend the best vendor I can, regardless of any personal feelings I have. Unless those feeling are because the vendor does not provide quality products. GOG certainly provides quality products.

If you do decide to give Rockdiamond (David) a call, you should be aware that he doesn't provide or believe in ASETs. That's his choice obviously, and there are reasons he feels this way. But personally I would not buy a step cut off the net (in person, yes) without an ASET. Not that you've listened to me at all. But...I thought I'd state it for any lurkers who are watching.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cl- suffice it to say Gypsy does not speak for me - or the many other people who've bought step cuts from one of the many vendors who participate or sponsor this forum.
Best of luck in your search

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1398466491|3660128 said:
Cl- suffice it to say Gypsy does not speak for me - or the many other people who've bought step cuts from one of the many vendors who participate or sponsor this forum.
Best of luck in your search

I bought my EC from David... I trust hm on EC's. you need to see the diamond. I sent the first one back...

My diamonds... I picked the one on the left.

_17339.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results