shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Diamond Cut Preference Cultural or Genetic?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been reading some of the lengthier in-depth threads about cut this morning and started to wonder why PSers branch off into cut groups. Many come here, as I did, with the RB held up as the ultimate expression of beauty and then find their niche elsewhere with olds, steps, or new cuts.

For me, it could of course be the influence of the culture of PS, but then again I notice now that I kept being attracted to RB diamonds with warmth and broader facets. When I saw my first OEC it was - OK, yes, that's what I was looking for...just in the wrong place.
So it either has to be genetic - i.e. how my eye perceives light in the most pleasurable way, or my last reincarnation was around 1900. Which is a nice thought because maybe all the OEC nuts here have met before LOL.

It would be fun to hear from others here - your favorite cut and why you think that cut stands out to you. ???

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It is an interesting question, for sure, and I'm happy you left room in the equation for those of us who start out fixated upon one particular cut, but then gravitate toward something else. I did that, and then reversed direction again.

As a young person I loved jewelry but never saw anything but the standard MRB, so I thought that's what a diamond was. However, I immediately lost all interest in them as soon as I saw some old cuts on eBay in about 2005! I bought some *very* small Old Mine cuts in antique English and French pieces, and was happy with them. Then I found PS, and learned about the OEC. **OEC=OMG**

The more I stared longingly at the OECs that many PSers have, the more I aspired to wear them. Unfortunately, this aspirational thinking caused some slight DSS when I glanced down at my own OMCs - and I very nearly made the mistake of recutting them (to be fair, one of them still needs recutting because it's chipped). But eventually, I realized that these lopsided Mine Cuts are a better match for me than the other cuts. Looking at them is akin to glancing at a favorite pet - those crooked ears or spotted paws are technically flaws to an expert, but are nevertheless unique and lovable details to the owner. I will always admire the lively pastel petal facets of OECs but I can't imagine myself wearing them because they are too perfect, too symmetrical, too refined. My OMCs on the other hand, are like me: off center, anachronistic, and chunky. :lol: :wink2: :twirl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Is diamond cut preference cultural or genetic?
Between culture and genetics, I'd say culture.

2. your favorite cut and why you think that cut stands out to you?
Turns out I really prefer fancy cuts and colorless (though G with fluor makes the cut). Through a multi-year immersion into diamond shopping, I found that my eye likes icy/blue white and well-cut, symmetrical fancies - they make my heart sing in a way that an ideal-cut MRB never did (though I appreciate the beauty and precision of an ideal-cut MRB).

Bottom line, I think really it is exposure and knowledge that informs diamond preferences.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guessing it's not related to culture, but what one has been exposed to, but that might be limited by the culture within which one has been raised. The first diamond I fell in love with was my mom's GIA E one carat emerald cut. I just loved the straight clean lines and the big mirror-like reflections. I thought that would be what I wanted, but I went for an MRB bc I thought I might miss the sparkle. At some point I will get an asscher...someday... My dream ring is puppy4248's asscher. I can recall the image of that ring at any time.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1438702755|3911017 said:
My dream ring is puppy4248's asscher. I can recall the image of that ring at any time.
oh la la - I just googled "puppy" and "asscher" and ...yes!
What is it about these simple facet patterns that are so "WOW" [to some of us]? I guess that's why I started the thread - it's so interesting and fun to learn what other PSers think.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
What an interesting thread.

A year or two ago I would have had no idea what anyone was talking about. All I knew is that I liked big diamonds! By UK standards that is I should add! I wouldn't have had any idea about cuts or colours. I had the idea that you could get square, round etc and that was it.

When it came to talking about engagement rings a friend who I know through business had a ring I always admired. I asked her about it and she said 'cushion'. So that's what my darling man went searching for. Along the way he learnt loads including the fact that he wanted good clarity and not yellows ness. He nearly purchased several diamonds from the states, with the help of PS posters I might add. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't totally ecstatic about these cushion. Then he cracked it. He showed me photos of old cuts and it was 100% "yes!" So the search for old cuts began and we ended up with a gorgeous platinum antique ring with a OMC diamond that's I colour and VS as white and sparkly and gorgeous. After the months of GIA reports and asset images etc he ended up buying something with none of these but it just spoke to us - and that's the thing with these old cuts. They aren't perfect and I can't deny the shimmery look of the moderns I tried on I loved, but nothing felt quite like 'us' until we reached the olds.

So why - is it because of my friends ring lodged in my head as a perfect e-ring? She has great style generally, did I click on to that somehow? I don't know. All I know is when we went shopping to start with and I tried on my 'dream ring' of cushion halo with pave band I didn't feel as I thought. Different story with the olds.

I also feel a strange sense of guardianship over the craftsmanship of the cutter and designer of the setting but also I think about where the diamond has been and who loved it before I hope whoever the previous owners were are happy that we have it. I suppose that's also part of the story with old cuts and if you have that in your nature they may draw you in with their history and therefore appeal more than moderns.

Here's our oldie - new to us :)

_32977.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have difficulties in finding it now, however, PS used to have a long article about diamond shapes and personalities, and I am quite true to type for EC lovers.

It would be great if someone can dig this out, pretty please, thanks in advance.

I love ECs for their shapes, and their clean and elegant lines, and the big flashes in certain angle and lights.

I still like MRBs in earrings, and have planned to re-set a soon-to-be mine MRB about 2ct in a pendant, so that different drops can hang from it (it will be too small as a pendant on its own and disappear around my chunky neck).

DK :))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OEC, my first engagement ring was a 1.5 OEC D color... I had to eventually return it as we divorced, I loved that stone, I loved it because it emit the rainbow of colors.. the big and bold cut was gorgeous to me.. back then a jeweler told me it was an OMC, but it was round not cushion so it was an OEC.. I love the blues, reds, yellows... I became engaged and remarried with a 1.63 H average cut RB.. it's nice it can really knock you out but it doesn't emit reds and blues etc the way the OEC did, it's like little dots or pricks... my mother had a transitional cut and hers was more like my first ring and I thought all diamonds were like my first one.. after a few months with my RBC I felt bad because I thought 'what the heck happened!' until I found Pricescope and read and read.. I dream of a 2 carat AVR or OEC in a G or H color... (or D!) :) I bought a 1.33 K cushion diamond from GOG and it's in a pendant.. I love this stone! I don't see a 2 carater in my future at this point, I feel lucky with the jewelry I have and love to look at everyone's here!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1438726771|3911164 said:
I have difficulties in finding it now, however, PS used to have a long article about diamond shapes and personalities, and I am quite true to type for EC lovers.

It would be great if someone can dig this out, pretty please, thanks in advance.

I love ECs for their shapes, and their clean and elegant lines, and the big flashes in certain angle and lights.

I still like MRBs in earrings, and have planned to re-set a soon-to-be mine MRB about 2ct in a pendant, so that different drops can hang from it (it will be too small as a pendant on its own and disappear around my chunky neck).

http://www.diamondwithin.com/freenuggets.php ?

edit:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-there-a-website-that-quizzes-you-on-diamond-shape-personality.27681/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-there-a-website-that-quizzes-you-on-diamond-shape-personality.27681/[/URL]
And this one, too (also based on the book mentioned above)

http://www.shapirodiamonds.com/personality.htm

Read on to find the perfect shape for you...

Round
The timeless, seductive silhouette of the round brilliant shape makes this the most popular and classic of all diamond shapes. It''s the shape of choice of an empathetic, dependable woman whose first priority is her family. Round diamonds sparkle the most. It represents a warm personality.

Princess
The square cut diamond represents the bold, assertive, and independent woman.

Emerald
Bold and aggressive, the regal emerald shape emphasizes the diamond''s transparent beauty. The clean, modern lines of this four-cornered shape is loved by women who are efficient, highly disciplined, and serve in leadership roles.

Radiant
The radiant shaped diamond speaks for vivacious, sociable, and fun-loving women.

Asscher
The step-cut asscher shaped diamond represents pure elegance and beauty.

Oval
The graceful shape of ovals catches the eye of the feminine, individualistic, and creative woman who enjoys the arts.

Marquise
Women attracted to the marquise shape are outgoing, impulsive, and zestful with a passion for life''s challenges. The Marquise shaped diamond is for the charming and ambitious woman.

Heart
Not surprisingly, the heart-shaped diamond attracts women who are romantic, sensitive, and emotional. The heart shaped diamond is typical of the sensitive and loving woman.

Pear
The asymmetrical charm of the tear-drop pear shape appeals to an adventurous, gregarious woman who likes to be liked and has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.

Cushion
The cushion shaped diamond is a traditional, yet modern. Personalities attracted to shape this include those women who are very special in having these two traits.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think out in the real world it's cultural, people are influenced by fashion what celebrities are wearing, what they find in shops. Here is a different story, people see different things they think they might like or they work their way through a number of stones until the find the right one for them....

Lenapie

Rough_Rock
Like most of you, when my then-boyfriend and I started shopping for engagement rings we automatically looked at RBs. I think it's a cultural thing as RBs are usually the diamonds we see in jewelry advertisements. It was also a practical choice, too, as we were going to be online, we wanted something that had standardized parameters for us to choose a stone that will be very sparkly. I thought I was pretty set on a RB when I saw the Solasfera princess. I was blown away at how sparkly a princess cut could be, as you know all know, a lot of princess cuts don't perform that well. That was when I thought, "hey, maybe I could get a princess, it's such a chic cut." We thought we were all set again when I saw the AVC.

The AVC just spoke to me like no other stone did -- with its pastels and its crazy rainbow-like fire. This was definitely a personal choice, as the rainbow colours in the stone reminded me of my mother, who'd passed away several years ago. Rainbows were always her favourite thing. She even said that if I ever see a rainbow after she's gone, it's her coming to visit me. Having the constant show of rainbow fire on my finger from the AVC is like having my mom with me all the time. Ever since making that connection, I have not budged and happily wear an AVC e-ring. I think the AVC will always be my favourite. I love the soft shape of the stone, with its rounded corners, but still squarish proportions. I think it looks very elegant and a nice blend between a round and a square. The only downside is it faces up quite a bit smaller than RBs.

But, that's my story! Thanks for letting me share!

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
OOH fun topic. For me, my original ring was as an OMC/ never really loved it because the girdle was chipped and it had visible inclusions...but I was young n romantic-wanted to be surprised. I had always wanted an emerald cut in my heart. I think because I typically do not like what everyone else has and in my family, everyone has rounds. I do love old cuts though also-I just didn't back then!

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a great question! I think it's really a combination of both. When I got married 31 years ago your typical choice was round brilliant or round brilliant. The rare person had an emerald cut or marquise. So I guess the diamond shape itself was more culturally driven. The genetics or individuality came into place when choosing the setting, and even then there wasn't as much choice as today. For my 30th anniversary I upgraded to a gorgeous princess diamond (in avatar). I loved that diamond and it's architectural, angular shape. I kept fiddling with settings though and just couldn't seem to get it right. I was about to change the setting for the third time when I finally accepted that while I loved the shape of the princess, for some reason (genetics? Habit?) I was more comfortable with a RB. So I recently sold the princess and went back to a RB diamond and it just feels right again. No more angst. I can always change the setting down the road if I feel like a change, but I won't change the diamond shape again.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Normally I would say it has to be cultural but recently I've had a reason to think it's genetic.

I always thought I was a MRB person because that's basically what I had been exposed to the most. A few of my friends had princesses and one of my friends has a gorgeous marquis, but I've always been a fan of the MRB.

When my ex and I got engaged he bought me a nice MRB. Then I was in an antique store and saw a diamond that blew my socks off. It looked round to me but I was completely ignorant about antique cuts and the different cuts in general. I thought it was just that particular diamond that held my heart. I found PS while I was trying to figure out what was "wrong" with my diamond. So I eventually upgraded my MRB for an H&A, E MRB hoping it would give me the same kind of feeling as the one in the antique store (which was way out of my budget). The H&A didn't really do much for me but by that time the marriage was in the tank anyway.

Then I paid more attention to PS and realized it was the OECs and trannys that made my heart go pitter patter. So after my divorce I sold my old H&A on eBay and bought an OEC, an OMC and a tranny. Thinking about how I felt when I opened the box that first OEC came in still gives me chills. It twinkled and it sparkled. It was probably a J in color and nothing like my old H&A but man did it make my heart sing. Same thing with the OMC and the tranny. I traded in that first OEC and I still miss it.

When I got married this time I knew I had to have an OEC. My husband is amazing and knew how much I love the hunt for bling and how picky I am so he proposed with sweet tiny MRB and gave me his savings account number for an instant upgrade. I love the ring I found (well, actually Grace and Erica found it) and still stare at it in amazement all the time. There's no way I'd take any size of MRB to replace my OEC. It's just my thing. It's not predictable like the H&A and that kind of fits the side of my personality that I like.

The reason I think it might be genetic: When my daughter had my last grandson I let her choose something out of my jewelry box as a push present with the idea that we could pass it down for one of the grandsons to propose with or trade in. I have a fairly nice collection (below PS standards but far, far above normal people standards ) and naturally she chose the 3/4 ct, G colored tranny over everything else. The baby is over six months old and she still texts me pictures of the tranny and tells me how much she LOVES it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Phenomenal subject!!

My perspective is heavily biased.
I was trained in diamonds long ago- and spent a lot of years selling them to jewelers.
For the past 16 years, it's been pretty much exclusively online.
The result is that I may be over sensitized to how the internet has changed perceptions.
So- from where I sit, a lot of what people look for today is influenced by things they read online.
I believe this is true in many areas- but diamonds are what we're talking about here.

Terms like "leakage" and "light performance" have changed online shopping.
I believe this is cultural in many ways.
If a person has a scientific mind, numbers - or pseudo scientific methodology may have great appeal- and touchy feely kind of stuff has less appeal.

Having said all that- Emerald Cut was what I imagined a diamond looked like before I was trained- maybe from watching the Flintstones, who knows.
But I do love step cuts to this day.
So that would be cultural.

I believe genetics does play a role as well- because people differ in their ability to see detail and color based on physiological difference.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Interesting topic!

I think it is a combination of everything. I have been obsessed with shiny rocks since I was a baby. That must be the genetics. :saint:

When it comes to the particular cut I think it is very much culture. To me it wasn't the Flintstones, but in my mind a diamond has always been something looking like the Hope diamond or the Regent. When I started my diamond journey I always had those images in my mind, but there simply weren't any in the jeweler stores where I live and so I ended up getting RBs. When I started looking for another upgrade last year I did my research to see if I could find my ideal diamond and then, for the first time when it comes to shopping for diamonds, actually used the internet...! A whole new (and slightly scarey) world of possibilities!

Since I am a cut nut I have never wanted a genuine antique, unless cut to perfection. I still compare my new cushion to the hope diamond and I love it.

I like having different cuts too though and still own rb, asscher, princess, (single cuts!!), would also love to add an oec/avr and maybe a pear to my collection. I guess that is the genetics, collecting shiny objects.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've loved sparkly, shiny things since very early age. I love the pinpoint edge to edge flashes of MRB more than any other cut. The broad flashes of OECs or step-cuts don't mesmerize me as much. Perhaps it has something to do with the physiology of my eyes.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks telephone89 for digging up the threads.

There is an even older article (not a thread) with more descriptive words for each shape back in 2003/4 when I started to be a PS lurker.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results