shape
carat
color
clarity

Is buying from online brokers a scam?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cmjames

Rough_Rock
I hope this does not come out to be too much of a rant...but my experience looking for diamonds online over the last two weeks has been very disappointing.

I have come to the conclusion that it is exactly like trying to price new cars by looking at the ads in the newspaper. You see a fully equipped Toyota Camry for $20K, but when you go to the dealer that one is sold but they have several exactly like it for $25. Or for $20 you can buy a Corrolla equipped like you want.

I have used this site to conduct a search for a princess cut diamond, and have acutally been in email and phone contact with several of the brokers that advertise here. But a strange thing has happened every time. I will find two or three nice F color VS1 princess cut diamond with a good depth/table ratio and nice proportions (at an attractive price), but low and behold everytime I contact the dealer those diamonds have sold, but they can get me a G/VS2 stone with a depth of 74% and table of 80% for that price. Of if I want a F/VS1 the price will be $1000 over the prices listed on their website or on pricescope.

Now if this had happened just once, I would say oh well. But it has been four times now, all with different brokers that you see on pricescope.

So my question is.....is this maybe just bad luck or is the diamond business as shady as I have heard?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
This Forum, and the various Vendor's listings are viewed by people from all over the world. Well cut, reasonably priced diamonds in all cut shapes move fairly quickly. Some color and clarity combinations are tremendously popular as well. While you are pondering, someone else is calling to purchase or put a hold on the diamond. Honestly. I can't count the posts I've read. Someone puts up stats for opinions. Decides to contact the Vendor only to discover the diamond has already sold. Sad, but true. It happens all the time.
1.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
if you're picking stones off the virtual lists rather than what the vendors have in inventory, this is going to happen. princesses are very hot right now, and nice ones move very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results