shape
carat
color
clarity

Is Bluenile over rated in terms of price and quality of stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hughrock

Shiny_Rock
Had a Bluenile rep tell me their company was the #1 online diamond vendor in the world.It was his opinion that quality of stones,ability to offer a large selection of all type shape cuts, and price point is why they are leading the other online vendor options. Would you agree that Bluenile prices are as competitive as the other vendors found on this site and do you think their quality of stone and service is better or equal to other choices? Would you want to own a bluenile diamond or do you believe other vendors have better stones and service? Do all online vendors get their stock from the same sources?

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely not the best policies and prices.

Quality no way to tell as they do not even offer images of the stone.

Quantity, maybe.

Most of their diamonds are virtual stones, owned by other vendors and advertised through their site. The only difference being that BN has a restriction that any stones on their site is not longer allowed to be advertised by other vendors.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
When I initially began my search for a diamond, I ruled them out quite quickly.

They lack some very valuable upgrade and trade-in policies that other vendors offer.

Also, they don't offer any sort of visual confirmation. They don't do any sort of imaging nor do they have someone able to compare multiple stones that you may be interested in. As already indicated, they are a drop shipper. That means they never see the stone before you purchase it from them. I'm not sure if your diamond gets sent to them for setting or if they have a 3rd party jeweller set the stone for them and ship it to you.
Throughout my searching, I didn't find them to as competitive in pricing when comparing apples to apples either.

As for who has better stones, they don't technically have any so that is a tricky one to answer. Vendors with stones on site can offer you visual confirmation of each candidate you are interested in.

Personally, I chose to avoid them.

Hughrock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 5:52:36 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
Definitely not the best policies and prices.

Quality no way to tell as they do not even offer images of the stone.

Quantity, maybe.

Most of their diamonds are virtual stones, owned by other vendors and advertised through their site. The only difference being that BN has a restriction that any stones on their site is not longer allowed to be advertised by other vendors.
Thank you Stone-cold11. That is information I did not know. PCers are teaching me every day something new about the diamond business. It''s amazing to me that BN can put forward stones that belong to other vendors.Almost like the same practise of a realestate agent selling a property listed by a different agent. If BN prices are higher compared to other vendors like GOG,maybe its because they have to slip profits on stones which are owned by other vendors. I''m sure many companies have to do the same if they need to go to a vendor instead of diamond dealers for a stone.No wonder BN does not have a trade up policy.

Hughrock

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 6:14:43 PM
Author: IceExplorer
When I initially began my search for a diamond, I ruled them out quite quickly.

They lack some very valuable upgrade and trade-in policies that other vendors offer.

Also, they don''t offer any sort of visual confirmation. They don''t do any sort of imaging nor do they have someone able to compare multiple stones that you may be interested in. As already indicated, they are a drop shipper. That means they never see the stone before you purchase it from them. I''m not sure if your diamond gets sent to them for setting or if they have a 3rd party jeweller set the stone for them and ship it to you.
Throughout my searching, I didn''t find them to as competitive in pricing when comparing apples to apples either.

As for who has better stones, they don''t technically have any so that is a tricky one to answer. Vendors with stones on site can offer you visual confirmation of each candidate you are interested in.

Personally, I chose to avoid them.
BN just got ruled out!! They are basicly brokers.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
These stones are known as virtual stones, many vendors has access to them, to call onto if their personal stocks are not enough to fulfill a customer''s requirement.

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
FYI, most of the vendors on PS seem to buy their stones from the same suppliers as BN. I''ve put in request to WF, GOG and JA and they''ve all suggested the same stones I was going to buy from BN for $200-$250 more. As stated above, you''re getting better service, policies, and assurance. But if you find a stone on their site you think is good, and you''re not fixated on a patterned H&A, then the only risk you take with them is the $35 it''d cost to ship the diamond back to them. They do have a good 30 day return policy. I bought a diamond from them in 2007 and am thrilled with it.

IceExplorer

Shiny_Rock
They are brokers.

You had a good analogy with the real estate broker... same thing. They are selling other vendors inventory. As mentioned by Stone-cold11, many vendors do it. I found more comfort in buying a diamond from a vendor that could send me images to confirm my hopes for a good candidate (see my avatar) and look at it for me while on the phone and provide details.
I chose to deal with Brian Gavin Diamonds and they have been fantastic. I was a little leery with paying for something before I saw it. I had my diamond shipped to a 3rd party appraiser. They took my credit card but didn''t charge it until AFTER I decided to purchase.

If you can spare some time to read the forums you''ll find out there is A LOT of great information here provided by many experts but more importantly, there are lots of regular people that have come here looking for help just like you and me.

I''m one of the regular people and the best thing about this process was finding pricescope.com and having all the great people help me out.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 7:24:56 PM
Author: Chase035
FYI, most of the vendors on PS seem to buy their stones from the same suppliers as BN. I''ve put in request to WF, GOG and JA and they''ve all suggested the same stones I was going to buy from BN for $200-$250 more. As stated above, you''re getting better service, policies, and assurance. But if you find a stone on their site you think is good, and you''re not fixated on a patterned H&A, then the only risk you take with them is the $35 it''d cost to ship the diamond back to them. They do have a good 30 day return policy. I bought a diamond from them in 2007 and am thrilled with it.
For virtual diamond BN is often less expensive, true, but the other vendors would likely price match for that difference if it mattered.

I ditto what others have said regarding the pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results