shape
carat
color
clarity

Is a difference of .40mm spread a very noticeable difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

Just curious if a .40mm size difference noticeable? Trying to compare a 7.05mm diameter to a 7.45mm diameter. Price jumps up by about $4,350 too. Is it worth it? Both stones are comparable in specs.

Thanks so much.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there is a visual difference of an increase in 0.4 mm. I just did a mini upgrade for a 0.5 mm increase which is very apparent to me, even when the stones are not side by side. That said, $4K for that increase isn''t worth it since you are now in a very large size already (7mm). I''s rather put some of that $4K into a jaw dropping setting for that dazzler.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
.4mm at 7mm diameter versus 7.4mm diameter will be visible upon fairly close examination by most people. However, "worth it" is another thing entirely. Diamonds are very expensive in the better qualities and the market is very smart. Any differences between diamonds are generally accompanied by adjustments to the market and the asking prices. Of course, the costs have also likely changed, too.

It all becomes a matter of "is it worth it to you" and not a general question of values. You buy what you like and can afford. You buy what you appreciate and find value in. At some point you say; "not for me", but another person with different money or motivation goes ahead and does the deal. Follow your own guidance and budget constraints. Every competitively priced diamond is "worth it" to someone, but not to everyone.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Chrono and David. I appreciate the thoughts.

Chrono, I like it to be just a simple setting like a vatche cross prong ( I think, that''s what its called). I''m wondering if I can draw both sizes on paper so I can see the difference.

David, you are right. The question "is it worth it? is a matter of personal preference. To me, if the visual difference is not apparent except upon closer inspection, then an additional $4300 would not be worth it for me. I guess I''ll have to see it for myself whether the size difference is substantial enough for it to be worth it for "me".

Thanks so much!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
A diameter difference of 7.0mm compared to 7.4mm represents a 11.8% increased face up surface area difference, which is substantial.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Gary. I appreciate your input. I think it will be most helpful if I see the size difference in real life or even in drawing to see if the jump in size is worth the jump in size.

Thanks again.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
R&P,
I have drawn different sizes on paper to see if I can see the difference. It''s not a silly thing to do at all. I do it all the time.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2008 3:24:43 PM
Author: oldminer
.4mm at 7mm diameter versus 7.4mm diameter will be visible upon fairly close examination by most people. However, ''worth it'' is another thing entirely. Diamonds are very expensive in the better qualities and the market is very smart. Any differences between diamonds are generally accompanied by adjustments to the market and the asking prices. Of course, the costs have also likely changed, too.

It all becomes a matter of ''is it worth it to you'' and not a general question of values. You buy what you like and can afford. You buy what you appreciate and find value in. At some point you say; ''not for me'', but another person with different money or motivation goes ahead and does the deal. Follow your own guidance and budget constraints. Every competitively priced diamond is ''worth it'' to someone, but not to everyone.
Ditto! It would probably be worthwhile to me to get the extra size but as Dave says, it depends.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Chrono and Lorelei. I tried doing it on paper but found it very difficult as .4mm is such a tiny measurement. Anyone has a picture close enough for reference?

Thanks!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
this is really pathetic, but i have been drawing different diamond sizes on my low-tech Paint application in order to decide whether a jump from 6.06mm to 7.00 mm is worth it. what i really want is a 7.45-50mm stone, so i should probably save an extra $3000 for the 1.50ct stone. but of course, when you look at the 7 and 7.5 mm, the 7 doesn''t look too shabby next to my 6mm stone. hm hm, decisions...

anyway, this image might look different on your monitor, but i tweaked the diamond size chart on amazon.com until it matched my ruler when i put it against the screen. the smallest diamond is my 1ct, just for comparison''s sake.

comparison with 1ct.JPG

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Erica,

WOW, thanks! That''s a great visual. What paint application did you use? Is it just like an adobe photoshop? Also, what is amazon.com diamond sizing? Could you give me specifics on how I can do this myself? Thanks so much. I do see a difference in the 7mm and 7.45 mm. Not much, but enough difference from what I see. But, the question is... is it worth $4350 extra for me? Diamond prices keep going up so I don''t know what I will end up with by the time I am ready for my upgrade
40.gif

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Erica,

Just measured what is on my monitor and the first circle actually measures 8mm, the second 9mm, and the third 7mm.

Thanks.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Hi Erica,

I found the diamond size sheet on amazon.com. Thanks for the info. Printing it made the sizes more accurate as it somehow measured bigger on the screen.

Thanks so much. This is very helpful.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Oh boy, I would love for my 6mm stone to really be 7mm! Too bad it isn''t.
8.gif

First, I opened the Amazon chart pdf and then scaled it until it matched my ruler on the screen (97% in my case). I hit print screen, and I ''cut'' a small section of the chart with only lines on it, using the Paint application. Then I pasted the small section onto a new document in Paint and used the line tool to extend the mm lines across the page. I find this to be so much more helpful than trying to draw them on a piece of paper.

$4350 is a lot of money, but if this is your goal size, maybe you should go for it? I don''t know about pricing, but everything seems to be getting more expensive. You definitely pay for that 1.5ct jump. If you could find something in the 1.30-40ct range, that might be better, but those are few and far between. Good luck with your decision!

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Erica. That chart is really helpful. The jump is a lot when you get to the 1.5 carat range
emsad.gif
. I guess I will cross that bridge when I am there. I wish my hubby would hurry up and sell some properties so I can get the upgrade
emsmilep.gif

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results