shape
carat
color
clarity

Internet vs local vendor markup? plus various newbie thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gastro

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am about to take the plunge for a 1.0-1.25 ct round brilliant (excellent cut, likely WF ACA) engagement ring. I''ve been lurking quietly for the past 2 months, and have learned tremendously from the PS community (big thanks to all). I''ve visited many many local stores to look at diamonds in person and to gauge whether I want to do the purchase locally or online. I''ve even been in preliminary discussions with the high-respected Mark Morrell to design the setting. All this research/work just to keep everything within my budget (although it has been pretty fun and at times even entertaining in a sadistic way).

In the end I''m likely going to buy my diamond online, most probably from Whiteflash. One question I have is what is the average markup for local jewelers vs. online vendors (like WF or GOG)? The PS community has convinced me that I can find the best cut diamond online (and likely save a little bit on taxes as well), but is there truly a bigger discount? In many of the local B&M stores I''ve visited, the excellent- to very-good cut GIA and AGS diamonds I''ve looked at (granted none are truly WF ACA diamonds) are NOT that much more expensive to what I find in WF and GOG (within couple hundred $$). Am I wrong?

Again, I thank everyone for their priceless insights and education. Once the ring is created I''ll post it for everyone to see.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome gastro (why am i so hungry?
34.gif
)

congrats on your upcoming purchase!

Date: 2/23/2008 10:38:16 AM
Author:gastro
In many of the local B&M stores I've visited, the excellent- to very-good cut GIA and AGS diamonds I've looked at (granted none are truly WF ACA diamonds) are NOT that much more expensive to what I find in WF and GOG (within couple hundred $$). Am I wrong?
that has never been my experience. if you are able to get a top cut (apples to apples) from a b&m for within a few hundred of the top vendors here, i'd like to see it! usually, the traditional jewelry stores can't (don't??) compete pricewise.

keep in mind, you will have to be looking at a top branded cut (hearts on fire or similar) to get an idea of what an aca would basically compare to.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on where you are:
GOG
Wink
niceice
Gary
are all b&m''s that sell localy at internet prices.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely have had much better experiences with online vendors rather than B&M's. In my experience the price difference for well-cut stones is a super premium in a B&M and thousands more (make sure you are actually looking at well-cut stones in the stores). The settings were also more, and I felt their sales people either lacked knowledge or were snooty and this bothered me. I didn't want to deal with people I didn't like when we were spending thousands of dollars. The online vendors also had tremdously better selection than the B&M's and if you are looking for a well-cut stone or for a nice looking fancy this is very important. You B&M might have a couple of stones for you to look at in your range, but an online vendor might have dozens or hundreds in the case of bluenile.

ETA: with an online vendor you usually also get more information with your stone like an ideal scope image, a sarin, etc. In addition, many online vendors have incredible upgrade policies, while not all B&M's have this.

gastro

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I guess my problem with evaluating diamonds at B&M's is that I am not "armed" with the trusty HCA at my disposal (and probably can't use anyway given some certs don't give me all the diamond specs). I'll go back to the B&M's in a few days, look again at the top brands (ask for hearts on fire?) and see about the true price discrepancy.

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t bought a ring online so can''t comment directly on that - but have bought diamond studs from Blue Nile. I had looked at 1.00+ tcw studs at my local B&M which were H/I in color and SI2 clarity, set in white gold, with no information available on cut (non-certed). I ended up with almost the exact same size studs from Blue Nile, both AGS-certed stones, AGS 0 ideal cut, G/VS2 ex. polish/sym., set in platinum -- for slightly less than the B&M quote. (And, my PS reading suggests that BN is even a bit of a premium to other online vendors recommended here.) So I had a great experience and feel that my dollar bought me significantly more quality online than I could have achieved otherwise. Totally agree with the other posters, just make sure that you are really comparing apples to apples when making your pricing decisions -- have fun designing the engagement ring, it sounds like you will come up with something absolutely beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results