shape
carat
color
clarity

International Gem Show??

relysa

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I am new in the world of learning about gemstones. I have been reading posts here about diamonds, but I also want to learn about other gemstones and pearls too, and I know I need to see them in person to see what I have been reading about.

So, I really want to see a lot of gems ,unfortunately B&M doesn't have a lot of natural gemstones and if they have, there is not much pieces to compare it from. I have been wanting to attend gem shows, I found this "International Gem and Jewelry Show" in LA and Santa Monica.

For those of you who have attended the same show in the past ,especially in SoCal. I need your inputs please.

I have been wondering if it's worth to attend this show. Do they have vendors with natural stones and/or pearls, as well as good and reputable jewelers. There are vendors listed at the website, but the names/companies are not familiar to me nor have read in this forum . I am particularly interested in seeing precious stones and pearls (freshwater and south sea to compare and contrast).

Here's the link for the show:

http://www.intergem.com/

Thank you in advance! :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't know about SoCal but that show comes to Denver as well. In fact, they exhibit in my building! It's great fun for people who are into gems. Lots of 'show and tell' going on. Definitely worth the price of a ticket.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
They will be in Dallas in May. Are there lots of antique pieces to see?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In Denver there are. I assume that's the case with other cities as well. By the way, I'm not endorsing either the show or the dealers with this post. The shows are simply a landlord arrangement. They rent booth space to whoever will pay the rent and the fact that they're there really tells you nothing more than that they paid. I suppose it also tells you that they have a certain amount of financial substance as well. It's not cheap or easy to travel across the country to do these things along with the associated show fees, so they can't be totally fly-by-night sort of operations. To see if they have good stuff, good terms, and/or charge good prices will require buying a ticket and going to take a look. Not to sound self serving here but I strongly recommend getting anything you buy appraised by an independent expert of YOUR choosing before the deal is done. Each merchant sets their own terms and conditions as well. Don't just assume that because they have a booth, they're all the same. If you come to the one in Denver, I'm in the building right next door. :saint:

relysa

Rough_Rock
denverappraiser|1396481223|3646171 said:
In Denver there are. I assume that's the case with other cities as well. By the way, I'm not endorsing either the show or the dealers with this post. The shows are simply a landlord arrangement. They rent booth space to whoever will pay the rent and the fact that they're there really tells you nothing more than that they paid. I suppose it also tells you that they have a certain amount of financial substance as well. It's not cheap or easy to travel across the country to do these things along with the associated show fees, so they can't be totally fly-by-night sort of operations. To see if they have good stuff, good terms, and/or charge good prices will require buying a ticket and going to take a look. Not to sound self serving here but I strongly recommend getting anything you buy appraised by an independent expert of YOUR choosing before the deal is done. Each merchant sets their own terms and conditions as well. Don't just assume that because they have a booth, they're all the same. If you come to the one in Denver, I'm in the building right next door. :saint:

Thank you denverappraiser for more info about it! Good to know they are not fly-by-night vendors.

I have also read previous posts here regarding one vendor that is listed as an exhibitor and ,the PSer seem to be satisfied with her purchase.

I will be going, so I am very excited!!!! :appl:

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi.
I go to these gem shows all the time. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at these shows.
There are a lot of good vendors and some that I would not trust for anything. I used to go to the one in Santa Monica, but it is not there anymore. I am going this next Friday. There is a vendor named Daisy Blue. He has all handmade jewelry. It is fantastic. There used to be a great section for colored gems. That has dwindled down a lot. There are some to be found, but not so much in the wholesale anymore. Good luck and have a great time. If you need any questions answered, contact me.

_16645.jpg

relysa

Rough_Rock
Thank Gem Queen for your input :)

I will be checking out Daisy Gems :) Do you have any recommendation for a pearl vendor too?

I will be going this saturday, any PSer coming? I would love to meet you there :)

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
If I can find someone to watch my kids for the afternoon I'd meet you there! Why oh why do they open the show the day kids are let out for spring break! But in all honesty, I went to the show last year (in Pasadena) and was completely underwhelmed.there was only one decent vendor from LV who had some sort of pawn shop....but had great antique pieces. Everyone else sold beads and crystals and wouldn't even cut it in the jewelry district downtown. However I got some great swavorski crystal earrings for dirt cheap. They were the exactly the same ones sold at the swavorki shop in the mall for $80...I think I paid $15 a pair. Forgive me if I spelled swaroski wrong...no time to look up the spelling right now.

relysa

Rough_Rock
Gem queen, is that the ring you got from the show? It is jaw-dropping!!! Wow, a very stunning piece! I would love to have some halo someday....Sorry for the late reaction, I was running some errands awhile ago with kids and I wasn't able to digest everything...

Jerichosmom, awwww how sweet of you!

I would be very glad to meet you, I hope you could find somebody to look after your kid. I understand what you mean, I have kids too and have to really plan most things ahead of time , which what I did to attend this show. It's not so much about buying jewelries (but would love to when I see something really nice!) , since I started reading on this forum, I wanted to know more about gems and pearls and compare them in person. You know how limited most regular B&M especially in our area with good quality and natural gems. Most of them are irradiated or lab-created.

I have some swarovski bracelets, and I love the different colors and how they sparkle!

Well, let me know if you could go there tomorrow, but I don't know how are we going to communicate, I know we're not allowed to give our email address or other info here.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second Niel's recommendation to have any substantial purchase verified by a knowledgeable appraiser. I spent a number of years exhibiting in this series of shows and there are alot of good dealers. I was one! But, questionable dealings are always a possibility. Some of the vendors that do these shows are show dealers only. That is, they don't maintain any real office. Some are foreign dealers as well, so if you have an issue, recourse can be very hard to get.

Having said that, I developed my love for the business by getting to know the characters and seeing all kinds of wonderful gemstones and jewelry creations on the gem show circuit.
Go and have fun!

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, jericho's mom
It was a pretty great show. My girlfriend bought a 4.2 ct emerald cut diamond that will knock your socks off. I bought a 4.92 round diamond that is incredible. Kimmioto is a great diamond dealer. If you see him tomorrow, tell him you want to see what we bought, along with the rolex and cartier watches. You will not be disappointed. Too many beautiful things.
Relysa, yes, i got it at the gem show last year. It was actually a setting and I had the tourmaline set. It is from Daisy Blue. He was there today. He and Kimmimoto have integrity and beautiful things, there are a few people there that.... Well, really one that I wound not trust with my anything. They have blue banners and lots of diamonds. Be ware. He doesn't like if you have any knowledge because he can't sway you... In my humble opinion. But there are truly great dealers there.
jericho's mom. Do a search on pricescope for my gems. It's called a myriad of rings.fun, fun, fun.
Enjoy the show tomorrow. I also forgot to tell all of our members that there were some french cut eternity rings. Lots of antique jewelry.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Relysa, I'm heading to the show today around 12 to 2pm. Gem Queen may also go again and I was able to get in touch with her before her number was taken down. I'll check this post again later and maybe we can arrange a meeting spot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results