shape
carat
color
clarity

Insuring stone before setting?

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I'm getting ready to set a beautiful stone I just got from JbEG! :appl: I'm pretty sure I'm going with the MWM torchiere. He does suggest getting the stone insured before shipping it to him. So can I just add the stone on to our home insurance? Or should I get separate insurance? Thanks!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewellery is added on to our home insurance. I am in the UK though, and not sure where you are. We found when shopping for insurance that it was an awful lot cheaper to tag it to the home & contents than to take out a specific policy. Maybe you should do some calling around? I would certainly insure before you ship though :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't believe most insurance will allow you to insure a loose diamond as a jewelry rider. Jeweler's Mutual is the only company I know of that will allow an unset diamond to be insured and you have to provide the info about the setting, etc.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ok, thanks Alex and DS! I'll check my home ins and Jeweller's mutual.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
USAA allows you to insure unset stones. I have/ had a few things insured under a personal propoerty insurance...I don't know anything about adding it to your home owners. However, other places have to insure unset stones. I know WF requires all diamonds to be insured before they will set it as you have to provide documentation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results