shape
carat
color
clarity

Insurance in Canada

crr243

Rough_Rock
I'm sure this has been mentioned several times, but I thought I'd post the results of some of my research into jewelry insurance in Canada.

I looked into both my homeowner policy, with TD Canada Trust Meloche Monnex, and Jeweler's Mutual.

Homeowner
$12,000 maximum, $500 deductible
No appraisal required
Covers mysterious disappearance
Jewelry must be in your possession at the time of loss (i.e. no shipping coverage)
Don't necessarily get to choose your jeweler - up to appraiser

Cost*: An increase of $18/year

*Note that this is an increase of coverage to my existing policy. I pay $246/year for a condo owner's policy with $4,000 jewelry coverage. The $18/year boosts me to $12,000 jewelry coverage, adds mysterious disappearance, and increases a few other limits.

To compare apples to apples, I selected a $12,000 maximum and $500 deductible for the JM coverage:

Jeweler's Mutual
$12,000 maximum, $500 deductible
Appraisal required
Covers mysterious disappearance
Covers shipping
Choose your own jeweler

Cost: $127/year

I'm leaning towards the JM insurance for the following reasons:

[*]Shipping to and from my jeweler is covered. It seems that Canadians cannot get more than $1,000 in coverage when shipping across the border. Coverage through JM will give me that, which will make it affordable to send the ring back to BGD for repairs to maintain the warranty.
[*]JM gives me the flexibility of choosing my own jeweler.
[*]Once we add wedding bands to the policy, we're likely to exceed $12,000. JM can go higher. TD may be able to as well, but I neglected to ask.
[*]I can select $0 deductible with JM.

Those reasons might be worth ~$10/month.

What are others' thoughts? Are there any other ways to ship back to BGD and be insured? (Note: I have checked with UPS, Canada Post, and FedEx, and Purolator and their policies range from zero liability to $1,000 maximum).

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Also in Canada. Also chose JM.

In addition to the coverage you mentioned they also cover your centre stone while it is being set, which was important to us. Their coverage is just so much more comprehensive than others we looked into; it was a no brainer for us.

Also regarding the shipping thing- we also discovered the ridiculously low limits for shipping insurance on jewellery. No one wants liability it seems. You Americans are very lucky with the USPS! So yeah, the coverage during shipping was yet another strong reason to choose JM.

crr243

Rough_Rock
One more update...

I spoke with a broker about Chubb insurance, since I've seen them mentioned a lot here. Chubb does not have a jewelry-only policy for Canadians. Any of their jewelry policies would require me to have homeowner's insurance with them, and their homeowner jewelry coverage is no better than my current homeowner policy (i.e., no coverage while the ring is in transit).

JM seems the only non-homeowner option in Canada. JM it is, I guess!

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
crr243 said:
One more update...

I spoke with a broker about Chubb insurance, since I've seen them mentioned a lot here. Chubb does not have a jewelry-only policy for Canadians. Any of their jewelry policies would require me to have homeowner's insurance with them, and their homeowner jewelry coverage is no better than my current homeowner policy (i.e., no coverage while the ring is in transit).

Melche Monnex can cover jewelry up to $50,000 or 100,000 with platinum plus homeowner policy. But I think you have to own not rent.

crr243

Rough_Rock
MelisendeDiamonds|1406826369|3723818 said:
crr243 said:
One more update...

Melche Monnex can cover jewelry up to $50,000 or 100,000 with platinum plus homeowner policy. But I think you have to own not rent.

I only need coverage to $12,000, which I can get under my Meloche Monnex policy pretty easily. My main issues are (a) the lack of shipping coverage if I want to ship back for warranty repair; and (b) no guarantee that I will be able to select my own jeweler for the replacement.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
JM also covers loose stone while being set - another benefit.

I used to have JM but the prices just got too high for me. I may consider a home rider insurance now.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
I just cancelled my home rider insurance, it was through Meloche Monnex (starts at $50K).

I'm now going to use Perfect Circle.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
two_little_birds|1406901681|3724413 said:
I just cancelled my home rider insurance, it was through Meloche Monnex (starts at $50K).

I'm now going to use Perfect Circle.

What was your rationale and how did the cost compare?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
It cost about an extra $300 to add a $50K rider to our policy. But the rider was very "wishy-washy" regarding what would happen if you needed to file a claim. Plus they get to choose the jeweler.

We just switched insurance companies, so with that said I looked into all options. I feel more comfortable going with an insurance company that only specializes in jewelry. Plus I know that if, and for any reason, something happens to my ring I am 100% covered. Plus no hit to my other policies if I ever need to file a claim (in the almost 20 years of owning a home we've never had a claim). So for ease of mind, and about $200 more we decided to select Perfect Circle.

crr243

Rough_Rock
I opted for Jewelers Mutual. If she decides that she wants a different policy after I propose, I have 30 days to cancel.

$154/year, $12,800.00 in coverage, $0 deductible

I chose JM for the previously stated reasons, i.e. primarily jeweler flexibility and shipping coverage. I'm paying an additional $136/year for piece of mind.

pineappleguy16

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am about to purchase a loose stone from whiteflash. I want to purchase insurance for the stone before it arrives in Canada and have read mixed reviews on jewelers mutual. I've searched the forums and most of the topics seems to be dated. Anybody with insurance in Canada could provide some input? thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results