shape
carat
color
clarity

Information overload! Help, please!

kingcole

Rough_Rock
I have a tendency to be long-winded, to for brevity''s sake, I won''t blame you if you choose only to read the bold sections of this post.
Imagine my delight at discovering that a treasure trove such as this website existed. I''ve been plotting recently to propose to my girlfriend, and would like to do something about it late this summer, but the more I try and learn, the more I am frustrated by commissioned sales people and websites designed to sell, not educate. Pricescope has been a breath of incredibly fresh air.

That being said; Pricescope has also been a little bit overwhelming. Sifting through pages is starting to give me a bit of a headache, so I thought I might as well try my luck with you fine people. :)

I have found that, as far as I know, there is a wide selection of reasonably priced diamonds at Blue Nile. I think I have learned enough here to pick a good one, but this also brings me to my first question: My girlfriend is petite. Very, very petite, and she has very slender fingers (size 4, and even that is a tiny bit loose). On the other hand (no pun intended), she is a pianist and has pretty long fingers. I would like to find a diamond between a 1/2 ct. and 1 ct. (I know, the carat is not an accurate measurement of size. Humor me.), because I fear anything larger would look gaudy on her finger. And I''m poor. :) My question, then, is simply whether or not you agree with that thinking, or whether I should go larger (or smaller)? I realize that size is totally a matter of preference, but I would like to get her the most tastefully-sized diamond I can, not necessarily the largest.

Secondly, though I think that I like the diamond selection at Blue Nile, I have found their selection of bands to be a bit lacking. I did, however, find a number of bands that I like at Shane Co. In particular, this one: http://www.shaneco.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?X=41043531&I=32&C0=1&C1=3 And by "I like this one", I mean "My girlfriend picked this one out herself". I know that the Shane Co. doesn''t have the greatest reputation, and that, combined with the face that their settings seem too affordable to be true, so my question is this: Are the settings at Shane Co. trustworthy? If yes, what is your opinion on the one I have picked out? I am a fan of that design, but I can''t seem to find many of them. Is that bad? Also, if a diamond and band are purchased from separate online vendors, does it cause complications during the mounting process?

Finally, I was wondering which color/clarity/etc. you personally considered to be ideal, acceptable, and bare minimum for a beautiful diamond. I realize that budget plays a factor, but I don''t think I''m going to give you mine in this instance. I am looking simply for what you, as a consumer, refuse to sacrifice for the sake of penny pinching.

Thank you so much, everyone. Again, I don''t know where I would be without this website. Hopefully some day I can return the favor. I''ll tell you what, if you need someone to sing at your wedding, give me a shout and I''ll cut you a steep discount. :)

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
from the diamond size thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-size-comparison.83517/
skinny.jpg

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread on what to buy.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/what-diamond-to-buy/

Personally, color is a personal preference and cultural pressure thing. Also, note that GIA/AGS are on par in color and clarity grading, other labs are discounted by trade by trading among themselves as they know these labs are softer, in-house grading even more so.

Clarity, as long as eye-clean and the inclusions has no effect on the performance, an SI1/2 even I1 can be just as good to the naked eye as an IF stone.

More on eye-clean. http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/78/1/What-is-an-Eye-Clean-Diamond--.aspx

Bluenile does not offer enough information to judge with much confidence on the cut of a stone as no image will be supplied. For round, at least an Idealscope image, for fancy cut, crown height, normal image and ASET image is the minimum.

What idealscope/ASET is.

http://ideal-scope.com/1.using_howto.asp

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For best bang for your buck I would go G/H eye-clean SI1. I would try to get closer to the 1 carat mark to prevent
DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) which starts to kick in pretty quick. If you stay in the .9 area you wont get hit
with the add on for hitting the 1 carat mark. (Prices jump higher at certain points like .5, 1.0 1.5, 2.0 then places
like .65.)

I''m not big on the setting she picked (but she picked it so I would go with it or something very similar to it with maybe
better quality).

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually 0.9c is a jump in $/carat point too.

The spike in stones availability correlates well to where the $/carat jump are located.
availability_carat_distribution_chart_2007.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think your budget is absolutely critical here because, honestly, if any sort of diamond is a huge sacrifice to you, and may eat up a chunk of money you need for a mortgage or loan payments or anything more important for your future, then I''d suggest either a small diamond or a larger colored stone of the same price range.

OTOH, if you have all the time in the world to save up...but money is still a concern...I''d consider something around an H or I color, SI1, perhaps not ideally cut but nicely cut. If she had long fingers, then she can sport quite a large diamond without it looking gaudy at all. A diamond''s presence when it comes to size it all about finger coverage, but that''s both width and length. That means even a 1 carat probably won''t look too large on her. That said, without a budget we can only guess at where you need to sacrifice to get the stone you want.

For instance, at around $2K, there''s this .7, I, VS2 from Brian Gavin. His standard designs are clean, but quite lovely as well.
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104044686044

At under $2K, this 0.613 ct H VS1 Whiteflash ACA. I looked for a premium select stone (somewhat less perfect and correspondingly cheaper) but nothing around $2K:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2291014.htm

James Allen tends to be cheaper, and might work better for your needs: this is only $1,850 and is 0.64 Carat H-VS2:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1304528.asp

Or, for a bit over $2,500 (with the Pricescope discount), you can go up to 0.82 Carat I-SI1 :
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1204011.asp

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You do need to tell us your budget and preferences before we can help you too much. The rnage is literally thousands of dollars depending on the color clairty.

Ditto Stone re: BN. I prefer James Allen for budget friendly diamonds.

Personally, I went to a J color to get the size I wanted for my budget and am very happy with the choice. You should go to a Jared''s near you to look at their peerless line which are AGS0 diamonds. Check out some different colors in the size you want. Don''t buy there, its over priced, but it will give you a taste for your color preferences.

kingcole

Rough_Rock
Oh, wow. Here I am thinking that I would check back tomorrow, and I''ve already received a plethora of replies. Thanks! You guys are the best.

Stone-cold: Thank you for those charts, and the comparison pictures. That helps. Here is a stupid question, though. The percentages in the RBC size chart... to what do they refer?

I''ll be sure to check out those other vendors, thanks. I wondered about the reliability of Blue Nile, if only because I had heard of it. Typically when you don''t know anything, and you''ve still heard about a store, it tends to not be a great store. :)

As far as my budget goes, I''d really rather not exceed $3,000 for the entire ring. I understand that that limits my choices, but I''m a pretty firm believer in the advice that you shouldn''t blow more than a month''s salary on the engagement ring. With that information, does anyone have any suggestions for vendors, or under which criteria I should base my searches?

Again, thank you so much for all of your swift replies! This is infinitely better than wading through Google search results. :)

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The percentage is the diameter of the stone to the diameter of the finger.

So a size 4 finger with a 0.9c stone, the stone''s diameter will be about 42% of the diameter of the finger. Sometimes also known as coverage.

cristinajanusz

Rough_Rock
You never said what cut of stone you planned on giving her / what cut she likes. Personally, I think that long fingers deserve marquise or emerald cuts, but that is just my opinion. Also, I think the clarity and color you pick depends on what cut you choose. Some cuts, such as an asscher, let you see the infractions easily. And the bigger a stone is the easier the infractions are seen. (Someone correct me if I''m wrong.) One last thing - over the years I''ve really noticed that while girls will be happy with whatever their fiancee gives them, every girl longs for a big, big, big diamond. So give her a one carat if you can afford it. If she has really long fingers a bigger stone will look nicer than a .50 carat for sure. Once again, only in my opinion.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ditto everyone else''s advice...

as dreamer says, if there is a Jared''s near you, you should compare the colors in their AGS0 line, and see what you are comfortable with color wise. You might also want to compare sizes, say compare 0.7 and 0.9, and see what is more important to you.

I would look online at JamesAllen and other websites for the largest well-cut eye-clean H/I/J color in your budget, and then get the setting you know your girl wants (unless you find one you think she would like more)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2010 4:36:44 PM
Author: cristinajanusz
Personally, I think that long fingers deserve marquise or emerald cuts, but that is just my opinion.
In my opinion, any shape stone looks good on long slender fingers. Shouldn''t limit to marquise or emeralds which tend to have a specific auidence and not everyone''s cup of tea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results