shape
carat
color
clarity

Inflated Appraisal on 1.32 G rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miamirock

Rough_Rock
I just got engaged, knew nothing of diamonds (hardly wear jewelry) and still not sure I do although I've read up on the 4C's and some other basic things on this very helpful site. But I am trying to learn really fast because I am in the process of insuring it. Now I just got an appraisal back from the original jeweler that looks seriously inflated and it serves no purpose but to increase the insurance rate. Will the jeweler be offended if I ask him to lower it? Can someone give me an appraisal range on this rock? Here are the specs.
1.32 carat, G, VS2
7.01 -7.09x4.36mm
Table 61
Depth 61.8
Girdle M-THK, F
Culet None
Polish/Symmetry: Good/Good
No Clouds
Strong Blue Flor

Thanks for any help...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
miamirock,

Congratulations on your engagement.

Good observation about the insurance premiums.

It is quite common to use an independent appraiser for the reasons you've suggested (among others). There is a listing of appraisers at the top of every page here on pricescope and there are quite a few who are regulars on this forum.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RBC with high color and strong fluorescence, rather far from ideal proportions. You definitely got yourself a deal
1.gif

I guess the whole point of an appraisal for insurance is to make sure you do get appropriate compensation to actually be able to replace the diamond at the current market price sometime in the future. Prices do go up, and there is no knowing what this particular cut and the strong fluorescence will do to prices in the future. Updating the isurance is good, but why bother often ?

When all is said and done, you may actually want to have a higher figure on the insurance papers. Not ten times higher, but somewhat so.

read.gif
Just my 0.2, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results