shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusions on an Excellent Cut Round...Will it matter much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ModerateMatt

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, (sorry this post is SO LONG!!)

First let me say thank you to everyone on the forum for all your help! I''ve been looking for engagement rings and diamonds for my GF for a few weeks now, but I think this forum has helped me more than anything else I''ve seen or read online or in person!!

It''s been quite a journey trying to find the perfect ring for my GF...there''s been many times I thought I had the style/shape nailed down...only to have my GF change her mind, ha! Everything from simple solitares..to my personal favorite, trying to get a "Katherine Heigl"-esque (um, or maybe I should say FireGoddess-esque on this forum!
28.gif
) pear custom made ring (man, I still regret her changing her mind from that one)...to what I finally realized she wanted...a round diamond w/ a slightly more intricate band w/ pave diamonds on it.

After all the praise here for WF, I decided to go w/ their Divisi setting...not entirely my style, but based on what I know, I think my GF will love this..and after all, its all about her and making her happy!
26.gif

After I decided on that, I needed to find a diamond. I know a lot of people here are into H&A diamonds, and I thought they were beautiful, but just not sure I could afford one since I wanted a diamond at least 1 carat, and most H&As at that size were more than my entire ring budget! So I tried to find diamonds that seemed to share proportions and factors w/ many other Ideal cuts and that scored pretty well on the HCA, and tried to concentrate on the factors more important to me (ie. I care more about color than clarity as long as the stone was "eye-clean"...probably different than more people here!)

Sooo after a bunch of checking around WF''s site, I found a few I thought might work. My first choice was already sold, but they got my second choice, a 1.02 G SI2, in and sent me the specs and pics today. My main concern about this from the diagram on GIA cert was a pretty large crystal in the center of the diamond! I was worried about how this would affect the performance of the diamond, but since all the other specs seemed to look REALLY good I decided to have WF bring this one in anyways and keep my fingers crossed!

Suprisingly, the pics they sent looked really great! At least to my newbie eyes :) The crystal is pretty noticeable in the 40X image, as well as on the ideal scope..but even despite that, the ideal scope image looks good, so I dont think the crystal and other inclusions affected this much. And the best surprise was that even w/ the inclusions, and the fact it wasn''t branded as H&A, it looks like there''s some great arrows on this diamond!!!
18.gif
And the Sarin report graded as all 0s. So I''m thinking this was a pretty good choice since WF told me the diamond was "eye-clean"? But until I see it in person I guess I''m still slightly nervous that that crystal might be a concern? :)

So I''m hoping some of you w/ a little more knowledge will let me know if you think this was a good choice or not and what you think about this stone...I''ll enclose the pics after this, but hopefully some comments from you guys about this stone will help allay my lingering concerns until I get the ring in person! :) Let me know your thoughts..THANKS!!!

-Matt

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The magnified image looks really good! So if WF says it is eye-clean, then it sounds like a winner!

tickintime

Rough_Rock
Just a word of advice...There are many people who look but don''t respond to posts. You may want to reserve diamonds you are seriously interested in before posting. We wouldn''t want you to loose another candidate.

I know excellent cuts can hide color, but not sure about crystal inclusions. I will leave that to others.

Good luck

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2008 9:49:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The magnified image looks really good! So if WF says it is eye-clean, then it sounds like a winner!
Ditto, put this baby on hold!!
2.gif

ModerateMatt

Rough_Rock
HAHA, Thanks for the advice guys..Thankfully I got this bad boy locked down already!! ;-)

But it''s interesting to hear the thoughts so far..thanks for the input..curious to hear more!! :)

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Hi ModerateMatt!
35.gif

I''m with you when it comes to color over clarity ... all the way! This looks like a great diamond! Nice choice!

If WF has been able to confirm that it is "eyeclean" to your standards, then I would have to say that you are good. Go for it!

To your initial question though ... not that it''s really applicable to your stated scenario so much given that this sounds like a great diamond ... Just thought I would share my thoughts since you asked ....
I don''t necessarily think that an excellent cut will ''mask'' an inclusion, per se. If the inclusion is large or quite visible for some other reason and right smack dab in the center of the table, then it may be readily apparent, regardless of the cut. I do know, however,that rounds are supposed to hide inclusions better than less faceted shapes like an emerald cut diamond, for example.

Good luck with your choice!

jackk

Rough_Rock

ModerateMatt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips Jack, but like I mentioned earlier, I already locked up the other one...those two are beautiful though!!

Ha Sparklicious..good to see someone was on the same page as me w/ the color thing ;-) Anyways, I appreciate the comments..I think makes me feel a little better about my choice..Thanks so much guys! I''m looking forward to seeing how much it sparkles in person and I''ll be sure to post the Divisi ring on here once I get it! :)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrates nice diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2008 9:49:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Ditto! Looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results