shape
carat
color
clarity

in love, but unsure!!??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
In love but unsure about a diamond (of course!) http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_37ct_k_vs2_h%26a.htm
Check this out and let me know what you think. I was told to look at hearts on fire diamonds with similar color to see if I like it or not. Is this a hearts on fire, or what does that mean.
Specs
VS2
K
7.20-7.22 x 4.39mm
depth 61.1%
table 55.4%
crown 15.3%
pavillion 43.2%
cutlet 0.3%
girdle 0.7%-1.1% (1.0% avg)
1.3 ex, ex, vg, vg 1.3 TIC

Everything on this diamond looks perfect for us, we are in love with it!!
We are just concerned about the color. It will be set in plat or whitegold solitare (vatache x prong) Is it true that diamonds with better cuts tend to look whiter that diamonds of the same color with lesser cuts? We saw a ags 4 color I and had no problem with the color, could it look similar because the cut is superior. We know that there is a great return policy at gog, but we just need some guidance!
Semi off the subject, but is there a difference in price if you are a pricescope member...I just noticed that prices were diferent from the ps serch and looking at the diamonds on their respective site??
Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
IMO, K is too low for white metal, unless you want a really warm looking stone. There is some debate, but most people say G, H or I are the lowest you should go with white metal...

Run a search on this topic, you will find lots of opinions.

Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stone is not a Hearts on Fire, it's a H&A. HOF is a brand...you can find them in local retail stores near you. Someone probably told you to look at a HOF K color to compare since in person they will look very similar in terms of well-cut.

IMO K is too low for a white metal as well. I would even draw the line at a J unless I KNEW it was going to be a really white J, closer to an I. However, a well-cut K will face up slightly whiter...so it really depends on what you feel comfortable with seeing. Some people don't like colored tints at all so the K would definitely not be for them. But if you don't mind a tint of warmness to your stone in a white setting..then go for it.

But it is hard to make a real educated decision unless you have seen a K in person, a well-cut K. In a white metal. Start calling around locally. Or if you can swing it....up the color to an I or even a very white J rather than the K. Drop that useless VS2 clarity to SI1 or SI2 and up that color!
1.gif
Safer virtual bet IMO.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Some K's are great and some aren't. But, since you're planning on setting it in white metal, I'd have a look at this one too: 1.323ct I/SI 1 H&A. The price is close and the face up should be much whiter too!
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Mara is right. That diamond is a Hearts and Arrows diamond, not a HOF.

I attached a pic of my new 1.26 carat, J, ACA, H&A, set in platinum for reference purposes.

Diamond colors are assigned in letter grades. But that doesn't tell the whole story. The letter grade indicates the level of Hue Saturation. In the case of a GOG diamond, cut is not a concern. Rhino sells beautifully cut H&A diamonds. You need to know what Hue that diamond is.

You hear lots of people say, "Eeewwww! That diamond looks yellow!" But yellow is only one hue diamonds can contain. I didn't see any yellow in my J and it faces up White. Over the weekend, I layed my ring on white paper, and looked at the diamond with a loupe thru the pavillion. My J has a steely bluish grey hint of tint. There is no yellow in this J and the hint of bluish tint works well in platinum.

Giangi is right. Some K's will be fine and some won't. You really need to discuss this diamond with GOG. Rhino will be honest with you. Find out what color the hue is and then decide. The cut will help the diamond face up whiter than the actual color grade. With the right Hue, this diamond could offer great bang for the buck!
1.gif

PQC1.264JinPlatinum.jpg

someguy

Rough_Rock
When I was searching for a diamond, I stopped by GOG to see their stones in person. While I was there, I checked out this K colored diamond and was quite surprised at how white it looked. While there was a noticeable tint when viewed from the side, it wasn't that bad and I don't think that it would be noticed on casual inspection. If you are the sort of person that isn't bothered by a little color, going for a K diamond would be a great way of getting the biggest diamond for your money!

someguy

Rough_Rock
If you want, here's a link to the thread where I was considering that K diamond: click me!
You can also check out this thread in the "show me the ring" forum for pictures of lower color diamonds. I think that Glitterata posted a picture of her grandmother's K/L next to an F diamond near the bottom of the thread. Keep in mind that it's really hard to tell true colour using a computer monitor...

Hope this helps!

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
I love the thoughts, keep them comming...but the consensus is that it is probable that it will be too tinted to look good in plat, but there is a possibility that the tint is not yellow and in that case it could look ok, but bottom line is to talk to rhino from gog about what he thinks about this diamond???!!! Rhino if your out there and can give your feedback on here...if not, I'll email you in a day or so!!! I know that pictures can't givee the real color, if anyone has any pictures, i would still ilke to see them.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I am sure Rhino would love to discuss this diamond with you. You might want to do that privately tho. IMHO, Rhino would not want the perception of violating PS rules or his response appearing like a sales pitch.
2.gif

Drop Rhino an email. If this diamond, or the other K work for you, you will get tremendous bang for the buck and a great size!!
1.gif

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
i will definatly email him, what is his email address! Is it the one that they give you on gog? If so, I have that! I'll take your advicea dn ask him for pictures!! We are really hopeful about this one! We have been staring at it online for about 2 wks now.

If it doesn ot work, we found this one also, what do you think
This is what I have been told by the vendor
1.365 H SI2
"magnificent eye clean" "nest of scattered dark or black crystal inclusions under the side of the table and to a lesser degre, by the girdle"
other specs:
0H&A 1.4ex,ex,ex,vg
d 60.7
t 56
crwn 34.7 deg
pav 40.8 deg
AGS certed
0.7-1.2 girdle
poiinted culet
ID ID
no flour
$5902.00

I have some pictures, but don't know what to think, I will add to next post!

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
its not letting me upload the pics, any suggestions, it is saying an error occurred...???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That second stone looks great from the #s and I'd much prefer an H SI2 over a K VS2. Aljdewey has a H SI2 from WF and she loves it, her inclusions aren't even visible with naked eye. Great bang for your buck.

You may have to rename the pictures to upload them, or they may be too big, OR they may have %*& type symbols in them. Rename them to something easy like abbystone1.jpg etc.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/2/2004 1:33:14 PM Mara wrote:

<>----------------

Actually I think she needs to see *this* K. Pick up the phone call GOG & ask how this K stone faces up.

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
here they are, it won't let me post more than one per post, so I have 4 poictures, the ones that she sent were much clearer, but this is the best it will do..

abbystone4a.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough call... but not quite.

The truth is that inclusions can be much better pictured than those subtle color grades, so the SI2 picture is a much better argument for a compromise than any picture of a K-color by default, regardless of what YOU might see in the stones themselves.

Honestly, between K-VS and H-SI2 there are a bunch of combinations starting with "I" and "J" to consider, if that SI2 is not convincing enough.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Judging by the sizes of the diamonds and the prices, it seems Abby wants around 1.35 carat for under $6K.

I did find one more for you to consider, Abby. An I, I1.

http://www.superbcert.com/Shop_By_Product/Diamond_Details.cfm/P/44781/N/1;1#

You can open up more possibilities in diamond selection if you would consider dropping the carat weight just a tad. More around 1.25 carat. Just a thought.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In line with PQ, I would say that the last half 5% of diamond size (0.5mm diameter) is eating a lot of quality up. Here's a list of "remedies", keeping that 7mm diameter in sight within the range of color and clarity grades already established by the previous choices:

list.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiamondIdeal stone is nice...Hearts aren't quite 100% up to par but should perform quite nicely in person. If the stone IS truly eye-clean then I think it would be a great performer and be quite lovely!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, between the K/VS and the H/SI 2 (if the SI 2 is actually as clean as it looks), I would get the H hands down. A very well cut K might face up white, but the H would be a safer bet. Anyway, if I had to buy a stone within your budget, I'd get an I/SI 1.
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/3/2004 1:30:25 PM Giangi wrote:

Honestly, between the K/VS and the H/SI 2 (if the SI 2 is actually as clean as it looks), I would get the H hands down. A very well cut K might face up white, but the H would be a safer bet. ----------------

I completely agree with this.....since color will be much more noticeable than clarity (because the SI2 is eyeclean), I'd absolutely go with the H stone.

Not only would I ......heheheee......I did! I have an H, SI2, and it allowed me to get a MUCH larger stone (1.24) for NO visual sacrifice. YAY!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That SC stone is ridiculously cheap. It's hard to say if the inclusions would be visible or bother you...everyone's eyes are different. For an almost 1.50c stone that is an amazing price. But I don't know about those inclusions--the placement is causing them to reflect as more than are really there!

To say that an I colored stone faces up like a G? I don't know...that may be a BIT of a stretch? Maybe an H. But in terms of CUT...this baby is an eye-popper....so that combined with the fact that if its 90% eye clean or similar...this would be an AMAZING pendant. Don't know that I'd want it for an e-ring...but it sure is a great cut.

If only I had $4k...I would so slap that into a floating pendant!
2.gif

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
indicisive aren't we!!! Oh, I'm not sure that we can pass that up. Main question, how do I ask if it is eyeclean or not. They will ship it to an independant appraiser, so we really should see it for ourselves...right??? do you think that they could send an actual picture at 10x mag that would show the inclusions better???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Abby...that IS an actual picture at 10x mag. You CAN see the inclusions, right?

Also, that stone is not going to be completely eye-clean...read the description on the page. It may be (almost) eye-clean...but it won't be 100%. Depends also on how good your eyes are. For a pendant, this stone would be perfect. For an e-ring that stands up to heavy scrutiny...I would want to see this in person BEFORE committing to it. If it satisfies you, it's an extremely excellent deal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you look at the GIA report of the I1 stone, there are not many inclusions. But in terms of where they are PLACED, the inclusions are reflecting around the diamond like a mirror in a funhouse. So all those black marks are visible as 'inclusions' when in reality they are probably just 1 or 2 inclusions that are reflecting back. The symmetry of the stone here probably works against it in terms of that is why everything looks so uniform in terms of the black marks around the stone. But in terms of visibility, all of the marks in that picture would be considered inclusions to your eye. Look at the ImageScope photo. See the uniform black marks all around the stone?

This is why I note this stone would probably be good for a pendant. If it's 90% eye clean, no one jams their face up against your pendant. But a ring? I don't know.....tough call.

I think the H SI is the best bet so far.
2.gif

abbymax825

Rough_Rock
i agree, the H/SI is probably a better option RIGHT NOW. Ok, do you think that the diamond is in their posession and that I could get a different picture...like the one of the H SI in the tweezers. It gives me, a novice if I am speaking highly about myself, a better idea of what the stone looks like. Do you think that is possible??

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Typically, Vendors shoot the pics to show diamonds at their worst, ie, to show you more. Pics are back lit (light thru the pavillion) to highlight the inclusions for the viewer. Patty bought an I1 stone and the pic looked like the diamond had a spot sitting right in the middle of the table. When she saw the diamond in person, and the pics she's posted since, don't show the spot at all.

That may be the case with H, SI stone. The pics might show it much worse than if you saw it in real life. Maybe a pic looking thru the table with no back light would be helpful. You might also want a pavillion shot against a white background looking thru the side of the stone.

I'm glad Mara commented on seeing the same thing I "thought" I saw in the I, I1. Lots of pairs of eyes are a great thing for initial screenings. One person catches something that another person misses.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually ALJ helped clarify what the uniform black dots were around the stone on the I1...I was like...WHAT ARE THOSE?! She noted that she had talked with Brian re: a similar type reflective stone. Very interesting since I have never seen one.
2.gif
You learn something new daily.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, AL!! and Brian!! and Mara!! We all learned something today!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results