shape
carat
color
clarity

Importing Loose & Set Diamonds into Canada! The Answer!

OnlyOncePlease

Rough_Rock
I just got off the phone with Canadian Customs....

And I HAVE the answer!!! Should make this a sticky post!!!

Scenarios for Importing Set and Loose Diamonds into Canada:

Set Diamonds:

1. Under NAFTA, if the ring (set with diamonds) has paper work stating that it is manufactured in North America, then you only pay HST.

2. If the ring (set with diamonds) does not have paper work stating it was manufactured in N. America then you will be charged 6.5% + HST.

Loose Diamonds:

1. You pay HST or Provincial Equivalent.

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
I was wondering the same thing as a Canadian, although I was avoiding calling them for fear of being put on hold for an hour lol. Thanks for the heads up

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
That sounds about right.

Don't forget the customs brokerage conveyancing fees (Can't remember exactly what they're called) Fedex et al. will charge you for taking care of having your parcel cleared through customs - usually about an extra $17.00

( I am canadian, and have imported set diamonds.)

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Anyone know if this also applies with set diamonds that are sent back to the US for repair, and then re-sent back to Canada?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
For my repair of a set peice I contacted the seller, got a return authorization number and shipped it off. Then to come back home customs just required that the item be marked with "warranty repair" or something like that, and I didn't have to pay tax twice :)

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Also, if you want to avoid clearance delays with customs, contact your shipper re: customs forms and tarifs as soon as you have a tracking number. You will need a General Agency Agreement, which will allow the courier to clear your shipment through the Canada Border Services Agency on your behalf.

eg. "Federal Express Canada General Agency Agreement Form" and "FEDERAL EXPRESS CANADA LTD. GENERAL AGENCY AGREEMENT AND POWER OF ATTORNEY WITH POWER TO APPOINT A SUB-AGENT"

Usually couriers will only contact you once the item has arrived at customs, and then they have the item just sit around for a day or two while waiting for your signed cearance documents to arrive and be procesed - turns overnight/2 day shipping into a 4-5 business day waiting game.

Be proactive about forms so you don't have to wait!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1361496237|3387115 said:
For my repair of a set peice I contacted the seller, got a return authorization number and shipped it off. Then to come back home customs just required that the item be marked with "warranty repair" or something like that, and I didn't have to pay tax twice :)

Thanks for sharing that!

OnlyOncePlease

Rough_Rock
OnlyOncePlease|1361474281|3386641 said:
I just got off the phone with Canadian Customs....

And I HAVE the answer!!! Should make this a sticky post!!!

Scenarios for Importing Set and Loose Diamonds into Canada:

Set Diamonds:

1. Under NAFTA, if the ring (set with diamonds) has paper work stating that it is manufactured in North America, then you only pay HST.

2. If the ring (set with diamonds) does not have paper work stating it was manufactured in N. America then you will be charged 6.5% + HST.

Loose Diamonds:

1. You pay HST or Provincial Equivalent.

Interesting.... Fedex.com "Duties & Tax" estimator on their site, gives the estimate to be only 5% tax for importing into Onatrio, Canada. Should be interesing to see if I only have to pay the 5% estimate or the 13% HST when the ring arrives.

Hard to believe the FedEx estimator tool hasn't been updated in 3 years, since HST took effect :confused:

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
OnlyOncePlease|1362500736|3396841 said:
Interesting.... Fedex.com "Duties & Tax" estimator on their site, gives the estimate to be only 5% tax for importing into Onatrio, Canada. Should be interesing to see if I only have to pay the 5% estimate or the 13% HST when the ring arrives.

Hard to believe the FedEx estimator tool hasn't been updated in 3 years, since HST took effect :confused:

Could you let us know what you're actually charged? I've been debating shipping my ering to a friend in Alberta, then redirecting it to me in Ontario to avoid the HST

OnlyOncePlease

Rough_Rock
hawk25|1362501600|3396858 said:
OnlyOncePlease|1362500736|3396841 said:

Could you let us know what you're actually charged? I've been debating shipping my ering to a friend in Alberta, then redirecting it to me in Ontario to avoid the HST

Will do. Should have it by end of March.

On another note: if your e-ring is under $2500 you may not pay any tax at all as of Jan 8, 2013: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-low-value-shipment-increase-from-1600-to-2500.186461/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-low-value-shipment-increase-from-1600-to-2500.186461/[/URL]

almondbear

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to clarify

So if I buy a set ring, then I would be paying HST in Ontario

And if I were to buy a loose diamond, then I would also be paying HST in Ontario as well?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results