shape
carat
color
clarity

important questions about setting...thx

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rxtasy74

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Well, I finally purchased the rock. Now it is time to get a setting. Question:

Should the jeweler who mounts the diamond insure, in writing, that they will pay for any damage to the diamond during the mounting process? I spoke with a local jeweler today and they said they have never heard of a jeweler doing such a thing, however, they can almost guarantee nothing will happen to the diamond when they mount it. They added that it is a 1/1,000,000 chance and that is only if it is heavily included. The cost of the procedure is 20 bucks.

Any thoughts any other things to look out for when getting the diamond set? Thanks alot:)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. The way it is usually explained here is, If you were the jeweller and I gave you a $20 job would you give me back $5000 if you chipped it? I think you would do without that job and go and repair a $500 dollar ring.

It is up to the customer to insure the diamond, but most insurance companies will not insure a loose diamond which is why it is prudent to get it set by the person who sold you the stone, and got your $5000 for it
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I know quite a few jewelers who are happy to guarantee a stone against breakage during the setting process but none that will do it for $20.

In general, I recommend that you go with a setter who will agree to this condition. Naturally, they will want the right to examine both the stone and the mounting before starting work and will reserve the right to refuse the job if they are unhappy with what they find.

If possible, I generally recommend buying the diamond,the mounting and the labor from the same supplier. It avoids a fair amount of opportunity for fingerpointing if problems arise. If this isn''t praticable, try to buy the labor and the mounting from the same firm.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Your average round diamond is so hard and tough that damaging it during setting is VERY unlikely. If you choose and experienced jeweler to do this work, then you don''t need anything signed as there will not be a problem. On stones with points, like marquise, pears and princess cuts, the setter has to be more careful and experienced or they can knock a tip off. Make sure that the person setting your diamond has the necessary experience and you won''t have a problem. Of course, if you don''t buy the stone until the seller sets it, then the problem belongs to the seller.

rxtasy74

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I will be buying the setting from the same jeweler who will be doing the setting process so i''m sure the 20 bucks is taking into account the profit they are making from the setting itself. One of you mentioned that not having a signed writing is fine. Do the rest of you agree?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/23/2005 8:55:17 PM
Author: Michael_E

Of course, if you don''t buy the stone until the seller sets it, then the problem belongs to the seller.
Hence the reason that it’s desirable to buy all three elements from the same source.

rxtasy74,

Many jewelers are rather small businesses and they are a bit casual about things like paperwork. This can be distressing but it''s actually part of the charm of the smaller shops. It protects both sides if they put their terms in writing but the importance of this will depend on your willingness to trust their word. If your stone is big big money, I would pick a jeweler that has their ducks in a row on this sort of thing and I would prepare for a setting charge that is 10x or more of what you''ve listed. Read the fine print on the claim ticket and the various signage distributed about the store to make sure that they don''t have written terms that the salesperson just doesn''t know about. Few people ask this question in the typical store and it''s possible that they''ve never considered the issues.

A verbal agreement that they will take breakage liability should be fine. As has been pointed out, the risk is low with most setting jobs.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I bought the setting from the jeweler also & the stone elsewhere. He stated up front that they would NOT be responsible for any damage to the stone. I found that to be the case with the few I talked to. He said it''s very rare for a round to be damaged. If he felt it problematic, he wouldn''t set it.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
This does seem to be a circumstance where one of the services an appraiser could helpfully provide, concerns knowledge of those local resources where a setter will explicity, and in writing (on a pro-forma basis), accept responsibility for any unusual problems.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I don't deny the complexity; still..

It seems to me that expertise nor professionalism require...

all resources are known
nothing is shared

rather than calling it gray...maybe we could say it is colored.

We live in a colored world, and I'm inclined to think we should work with it, that way.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results