shape
carat
color
clarity

If you''re looking to put a square-ISH diamond in a square setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just thought I''d post this one for the archives. I made a boo boo...guess I didn''t research enough. I got the cushion diamond through whiteflash. At 1.03 ratio is is quite square. I bought a Jeff Cooper setting that is meant for square diamonds...the standard being the princess. I told WF I was getting the setting through a jeweler that sells Jeff Cooper. I told the jeweler what the dimensions of the diamond were (5.90x6.10x3.82). JC made the setting to those dimensions and my ring size. I saw the setting before I sent it to WF and it fit perfectly and looked great.

So Bob calls me today and says there is a problem, and has me talk to Leon, their jeweler. The problem isn''t too awful, but basically the setting is too big for the stone, even though I gave the jeweler the dimensions on the GIA cert. Because this setting was made for a princess, the dimensons could be the same, but on the cushion the corners are obviously rounded. This makes for a smaller corner to corner measurement on the cushion vs the princess...even though the length/width could be the same stat.

Since I sent everyone involved a pic of the setting and the diamond, I wish someome could have tipped me off to this. But at the end of the day, it''s really my problem. Leon says it will be fine, but that the prongs will need to curve around the diamond, a la Vatche style. I like vatche prongs so I have no problem with that, but I hope I like the trial photos they send me tomorrow morning (they are taking pics of the stone in the setting before they mount it), otherwise I don''t know quite what I will do.
15.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't worry -- jewelers can work miracles. It sounds like modifying the prongs won't be a big deal and your ring will still be very beautiful. Keep us posted with those pics when you get 'em!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks...I feel better now. WF just sent me photos of what the stone looks like in the setting. I think it''s going to be OK. I know the shank is thick, but I love thicker bands. Pics are below, if anyone is interested, or sees anything that I am not seeing!

I think WF is just being very particular and careful...which I appreciate!

M-cushion_stone.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It still looks to my non-professional eye that this is going to look beautiful and work out rather well. I wouldn''t have known that the setting is too big just from looking at it, particularly from the side view - it looks like it should, as far as I can tell.
36.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
the stone looks so pretty on that band! can''t wait to see how they handle the prongs. I''m sure they''ll do a good job... in my short time at PS, I''ve seen so many beautiful WF pieces!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow ... it kinda looks East/West even though it''s "square"!! Looks COOL!

Now here''s where I cause trouble ... aren''t you kinda, kinda curious how it would look set North/South ... flipped in the setting.

The reason I ask is that now that I''m "tweaking" my setting I was toying with the idea of setting my slightly elongated Asscher East/West. The jeweler did not like it that way AT ALL. We must have spent an hour flipping it ... looking at it in all lights... and finally I realized that he was right. It "lost" more than it "gained" by being East/West. I did ask if we could change it later if I changed my mind again!
31.gif

It boiled down to the subtle difference between "flow" and "pop". I think right now you have "flow" & it''s probably exactly right for the ring. Just curious what "pop" would do.

Aren''t you??
11.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know I thought I was being cockeyed so I didn't say anything, but it DOES look like it's set east/west even though it's almost perfectly square? ETA: see, I went back to look and I've convinced myself it looks square.
20.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 11:15:29 AM
Author: decodelighted
Wow ... it kinda looks East/West even though it's 'square'!! Looks COOL!

Now here's where I cause trouble ... aren't you kinda, kinda curious how it would look set North/South ... flipped in the setting.

The reason I ask is that now that I'm 'tweaking' my setting I was toying with the idea of setting my slightly elongated Asscher East/West. The jeweler did not like it that way AT ALL. We must have spent an hour flipping it ... looking at it in all lights... and finally I realized that he was right. It 'lost' more than it 'gained' by being East/West. I did ask if we could change it later if I changed my mind again!
31.gif

It boiled down to the subtle difference between 'flow' and 'pop'. I think right now you have 'flow' & it's probably exactly right for the ring. Just curious what 'pop' would do.

Aren't you??
11.gif
Deco, you are a freak...and I am one right along with you!!!
3.gif

You should have seen me with the jeweler who was doing the setting. I kept asking if they were doing it to the specifications, because the diamond is not exactly square and I wanted to know if the diamond HAD to be set in a certain way. When WF took photos of the diamond it was definitely east/west and I grew accustomed to seeing it that way.

So I AM wondering what it will look like north/south, but when I saw the east/west pics I posted, I really liked it that way. "flow" and "pop" are probably the perfect ways to put it...and I've always been a go with the flow kind of gal.
3.gif
Now it could happen that WF just threw it in there so it was a 50/50 chance, and when they set it, it may end up N/S. I'm kind of easy, and since I've been so damn involved with this process, I would be fine with a surprise.

Firegoddess, we all obviously agreed, so you aren't cockeyed!
2.gif
It's 1.03, so it definitely is not exactly square. But I went and looked at it again, and sure enough, my eyes started to think it was square.

Boy, we PSers are observant, aren't we?
36.gif

ETA - Great. Now I am sitting here looking at the pic with my head straight. Then cocked left. Then cocked right. Then straight. *Neck cramp!*
20.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did they ALREADY set it?? ... or could they at least eyeball it the other way (or TAKE PIXXXX!!!!)

Hurry girl, get to that phone!
31.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 11:43:57 AM
Did they ALREADY set it?? ... or could they at least eyeball it the other way (or TAKE PIXXXX!!!!)

Hurry girl, get to that phone!
31.gif
LOL Deco...I spoke to Bob early this morning and gave him the go ahead to set it. I don''t think I need him to think I''m nuttier than I already am, so I''ll refrain from asking for more pics, especially since we really want this ring by tomorrow since the BFs parents are coming this weekend and we are on vacation for two weeks!

But have faith that if I did have more time, I would definitely have "done a deco." (Has a fun ring to it, doesn''t it? "Look ma, I''m doin'' the deco!" *flip right, then left, then right then left!*)

I''ll post the final photos, and we can see if it was really indeed set E/W! Plus I''m getting my mom''s cushion this week, so I am very curious how that one will be set (it has the same ratio). I let Mark T have free rein with that one...I don''t even know what setting it''s coming in. Being anal with one ring was enough!!!
11.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 11:50:43 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Has a fun ring to it, doesn''t it? ''Look ma, I''m doin'' the deco!'' *flip right, then left, then right then left!*

LOL!! For FUTURE reference I think it goes more like this ..
*flip right* *eat a brownie* *flip left* *crack a diet coke* *flip right* *pace* *burp* *flip left* *scream, apropo of nothing, "TAYLOR HICKS FOR CLASS PRESIDENT" *repeat*

My Deco-along-at-home DVD is coming out in time for X-mas!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 12:03:00 PM

LOL!! For FUTURE reference I think it goes more like this ..
*flip right* *eat a brownie* *flip left* *crack a diet coke* *flip right* *pace* *burp* *flip left* *scream, apropo of nothing, ''TAYLOR HICKS FOR CLASS PRESIDENT'' *repeat*

My Deco-along-at-home DVD is coming out in time for X-mas!
I will buy one and support your efforts by spreading the word - ONLY if I get some of the proceeds so I can buy another diamond that I can flip N/S/E/W!
25.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results