shape
carat
color
clarity

Ideal Cut for pendants?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I have determined that I would like to buy a RB diamond pendent. I am wondering though, is cut as much of an issue in pendants? I would like to hear opinions about the pros and cons of this issue. I am finally biting the bullet and making what I consider to be a major purchase over the internet, and likely from a PS vendor. If you trust the vendor can you call and ask about between three and five stones and ask them to tell you what they think is best for a pendent? Or would this be a waste of both parties time? Thanks ya’ll.
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id look for a shallower pavilion diamond with near to true h&a symmetry.
Something like a 40.6/35 or a 40.5/40.8 or other combos with pavilions in the 40.4-40.6 range.
A fic would be awesome but hard to find otherwise a shallow pavilion bic would rock too and be very bright.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is the size range and price range your looking at?
If it was me id go i-j si1-si2 too up the size for the same $.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am looking at J color stone with two Ks out of the five. I am not sure about size entirely but for this I think between 5.5 and 6.5mm. Clarity I would even go for an I1 if it was mostly eye clean.
ETA: I am thinking 2k for the stone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look around the dark zone I copied here on the hCA chart Matatora
1.gif

And you will thank me forever.
Especially when you compare a dirrty stone to the ones with the proportions Storm has given you.

You will also pay 10% - 20% less per carat for this stione, and get 5% better spread / less weight.

pendant earring hCA.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Garry I definately will!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
interesting chart Garry, im saving it.
While there are a few combos that seem pretty strange Id expect some real nice stones for earrings and pendants to be in that zone.
So i cant disagree with you.

But when you factor in availability in stock from PS vendors my numbers make a little more sense.
As much as you like different combo''s and as much as I might agree with you on some of them, finding them is the real problem.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Okay, if I understand correctly, a stone that has something close to a .5 on the HCA with an EX x4 would be something that would be better for pendants and earrings? Is this because the shallower angles need not worry about head obfuscation in those two places? If I were looking for a pendant stone, would that be a reasonable leap of logic, or am I over-simplifying yet again? (wouldn''t be the first time, probably won''t be the last)

shay

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Right there with you, I am just entering in numbers and then seeing if they fall into the box.
4.gif

If anyone has any suggestions of stones I should look at I am all ears!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
This is more my style.
2.gif

allears.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also I would consider regular ole TIC ideals as well.... Aljdewey''s .75 J SI1 ACA stone is a firecracker and you can visibly see the arrows...yummy.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I definately am! I think I need to determine exactly what size it is that I want and then call and see what is recomended to me. I just dont want to take someones time when there may be others wanting to make a purchase when it may take me a bit to make up my mind.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 9:41:18 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Look around the dark zone I copied here on the hCA chart Matatora
1.gif

And you will thank me forever.
Especially when you compare a dirrty stone to the ones with the proportions Storm has given you.

You will also pay 10% - 20% less per carat for this stione, and get 5% better spread / less weight.
Thanks for the chart, Gary. I''ll be saving that for future reference.
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 11:36:34 PM
Author: Shay37
Okay, if I understand correctly, a stone that has something close to a .5 on the HCA with an EX x4 would be something that would be better for pendants and earrings? shay
Garry, those ears and you can be whacky!

If Shay''s proposition is correct, using the search by cut db, you can sort up and down by HCA score as at least one protocol.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 11:36:34 PM
Author: Shay37
Okay, if I understand correctly, a stone that has something close to a .5 on the HCA with an EX x4 would be something that would be better for pendants and earrings? Is this because the shallower angles need not worry about head obfuscation in those two places? If I were looking for a pendant stone, would that be a reasonable leap of logic, or am I over-simplifying yet again? (wouldn''t be the first time, probably won''t be the last)

shay

over-simplified but basicaly yes.
There are other reasons they are better for ear rings and pendants but you hit the big one.

off axis light return is another.
They return light from and too other angles than strait ahead better than some other combo''s.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is also a reason EC and asschers rock as pendants and ear rings.
awesome off axis light return and they dont need head shadow to have contrast.

bettyboop

Rough_Rock
This has been a really helpful thread as I''m thinking of having a pendant made and I was thinking of a bezel set halo similar to this Ritani Endless Love Diamond pendant: http://www.baileybanksandbiddle.com/catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?productID=15647381&queryby=c&categoryId=1468&pageNum=1&sortType=rank+ASC%2c+price+ASC&newFilter=StoneType%3aDiamond%7cNeckStyle%3aSolitaire&parentSearchId=-1&dispOnly=0&gnFlag=1

I like the idea of an asscher cut pendant ... any thoughts re: a jubilee pendant / would that be too similar to a RB that people wouldn''t notice it''s shape?

betty

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2005 2:30:15 PM
Author: bettyboop
any thoughts re: a jubilee pendant / would that be too similar to a RB that people wouldn''t notice it''s shape?

betty

I think it depends on the size - I briefly had posession of a 0.42 or 0.43ct Jubilee, and didn''t keep it for that very reason - in a small size, it just looked round.

Someone here has a small Regent pendant (Mara, I think). Perhaps she''ll chime in with her take on that modified cut?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed with Garry.... but it sounds like he will have to sell you one of those
11.gif
There's not one piece on the list with that sort of proportions.
39.gif

... well, I didn't check every AGS and EGL report on the net, just a dozen or so.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2005 8:00:38 PM
Author: valeria101

Agreed with Garry.... but it sounds like he will have to sell you one of those
11.gif
There''s not one piece on the list with that sort of proportions.
39.gif

... well, I didn''t check every AGS and EGL report on the net, just a dozen or so.

same here.
I looked at well over a dozen also in the depth range to have those angles and there isnt a one.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do have a small Regent pendant, a 0.38c and I adore it. It looks somewhat like a squared round in the 4 prong basket setting I have it in it...I really like how it takes a second look because it may look roundish at first but then people want to check almost. It throws off arrows, brilliance, fire, etc...it's fabulous. I have been thinking of getting a larger one rather than a new RB pendant...but I am kind of sentimentally attached to this stone, I love my little Regent!! Also apparently they have modified the original Regent cut so this may be one of a vanishing/vanished breed!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think I have narrowed it down to about three stones...we shall see. I sent out an email and I am hoping to decide soon.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Just a little update, Lesley from Whiteflash is going to pull my three picks and examine them for me. I am hoping to have to stone picked out tomorrow. We have already settled on my setting. I am hopeful that I will have the pendent by the end of this week.
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is awesome! Can''t wait to hear more tomorrow!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results