shape
carat
color
clarity

I was looking for an engagement ring and now I like diamonds

Area57

Rough_Rock
So basically it was time to get that special someone of nine years a ring. I had never looked at diamonds before. My knowledge began and ended with a book a read on the history of de beers in college.

Well now I want to collect gemstones for myself! Why oh why! Could I have picked a more expensive hobby? I haven't given her her ring yet. Not until sometime in late fall. I look at it. I got a loupe and I hit it with different kinds and angles of light and just stare at it. Lol. I've even gotten some other stones to start my collection.

I think she is getting a 1/3 carat and I'm keeping this! I'll have a bigger ring than her!

So anyways. My question. Obviously this collection is not going to happen overnight. Do you guys collect or do you just have jewelry you have been given? What is the best way to begin a collection? Where do you buy stones from? The mall stores are trying to sell a lot of hideous, or hideously overpriced diamonds. And even a lot of the independent stores are so so. Are the big name ones like tiffany and cartier better? I guess there is online but I don't know how that would work. There is trust. And then there is not getting to see it which is a lot of the fun of picking one out. The pictures don't do them justice.

What is a decent sized starter collection? What stones like non diamonds are beautiful but good value?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I was looking for an engagement ring and now I like diam

I was gifted a pair of near 1cttw MRB diamond studs by my parents when I was about 11yo, that was the start of my collection. I still have them, however, they are too small to be worn on their own nowadays, so I bought a pair of diamond earring jackets to wear with them.

I then added other pieces as I grew older, acquiring them myself, except for the engagement ring (sold after my divorce).

I would like to add a bracelet to my collection, however, I am having so much fun with coloured stones at the moment I find it hard to save towards a bracelet. :rolleyes: :oops: :bigsmile:

DK :))

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've always had a love of jewelry, but I guess I really started to love diamonds when I got my upgrade and saw what an ideal cut stone really looks like - blows my original e-ring out of the water! Then I inherited my great-grandmother's OEC ring, and it's been all down hill since then. Thankfully I have a supportive hubby, and he lets me spend a little every now and then, combined with what I save up, I can get a nice bauble - not big by PS standards, but is still eye candy.

Please concentrate on cut quality - and stay away from maul (mall) stores - they sell junk for inflated prices.

Online is great - stick with trusted vendors and you won't have problems. Look at their upgrade policies in case you want to trade up in the future.

Look here to start with:
Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, James Allen, High Performance Diamonds, IDJ

Also take a look at Good Old Gold's YouTube channel for tons of videos on different shapes and tutorials on what to look for.

Use the HCA for round brilliants (only) - https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca You want a number under 2, but once under 2 lower is not better - then get an idealscope image to assess light performance.

Sites like Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, and Brian Gavin will have done the work for you - all the info you need is already there to pick a stellar stone. At James Allen you will need to ask for an idealscope (for rounds) or an ASET (for fancy shapes), and you only get 3, so come here first so we can help you narrow it down before you choose.

Welcome to the bling club!

Area57

Rough_Rock

An ideal scope?

Cool. Thanks for the stories. Is is ever possible to resell or trade diamonds and other precious stones if you want something different?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes people buy and sell things and upgrade and downgrade on here all the time. See the preloved section and DiamondBistro and Loupetroop.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Area57|1438589453|3910403 said:
An ideal scope?

Cool. Thanks for the stories. Is is ever possible to resell or trade diamonds and other precious stones if you want something different?

You can also buy stones from a dealer that has a trade-in policy. Be sure to read the fine print if you buy something with
the intentions of trading up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results