shape
carat
color
clarity

I've Chipped Two Cut Above Round Solitaires. Advice Please!

joyfulmama

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I found this forum to be a huge help back in 2009 when we were researching diamonds :) We went with Whiteflash and a 1.3 ct A Cut Above in the Legato Sleek Line setting. I love my ring. Problem is that somehow I chipped the stone in 2012 and it was a pretty good chip! We have good insurance on the ring so I filed a claim and this time I went with Brian Gavin because they had a very similar stone in my budget in stock. The stone is beautiful and I had it reset in my Legato Sleek Line setting. About 6 months later I noticed the new stone had a small chip in the girdle :( Actually, it isn't that small - I can feel and see it. I have no idea in the world how these chips are happening. I'm a stay at home mom to a 1 and 3 year old and I don't do any activities that I would think to take my ring off because it may get damaged. I am truly stumped as to how I've chipped two beautiful diamonds! And I'm sad and disappointed of course. I haven't even told my husband about the 2nd chip. It happened when I was pregnant with my 2nd baby and I was pretty emotional about it and didn't see any point in filing another claim and disappointing my husband as well until I figure out what to do to prevent this from happening again. So, I've been wearing my chipped stone for just over a year now and no one can tell but me, but I really wish it wasn't chipped and I'd like to replace it this year. Can you guys lend some insight? Should I select a different setting? That seems pretty extreme to me since it won't be the same engagement ring and the original is very sentimental. Also, my diamond spins on my finger and is very often under my finger until I spin it back around. I've had my ring sized and it's as small as my knuckle will allow (5.25). I had the bumps put on my wedding band ages ago because it is an eternity band with diamonds 2/3rd way around and it spins too. The little bumps do not help.

What do you guys think? What should I do going forward?! Any insight or advice appreciated.

Thanks
Kim

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: I've Chipped Two Cut Above Round Solitaires. Advice Plea

Diamonds are not indestructible; it can chip when doing routine housework such as washing dishes, doing the laundry and etc as there could be accidental hits against the sink, appliance, etc. If the chip is at the girdle area, you may want to consider having it low set in a bezel setting. I always remove my ring when doing housework.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, thank goodness you have jewelry insurance! I hope they don't drop you this time, though. I definitely think you require a more protective setting. A bezel is going to be the most protective. Next would be something like 8 prongs!

By all means make your claim and replace the diamond.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/full-bezel-solitaire-platinum-5365p

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/lola-sholdt-platinum-5341p

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/ella-sholdt-platinum-5591p

I would also advise not wearing your rings during the day at home.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree with the above ladies.

In addition. Regardless of what you think about your activities, clearly you are doing something that is causing these chips. I don't wear my engagement ring at home. I only wear them out.

I do not wear it to wash dishes, to clean, to the shower, I don't wear it when I sleep (I have chipped a diamond in my halo once because I hit it on my nighstand because I am a fitful sleeper), I don't wear it to work out, I don't wear it in the pool or the ocean, and I don't wear it when I garden.

My wedding band I wear 24/7. My engagement ring. No.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

If your ring spins around there is a good chance you put some pressure on it when you gripped or hit something with your palm. My rings spin too and I realize grabbing a shopping cart, handrail, car door and steering wheel are all opportunities for damage if the stone is getting the impact. We do these things quickly and while thinking about something else.

I am so sorry for your chipped stone. With your lifestyle you should consider a bezel and keep your original setting to reuse someday when your lifestyle quiets down. Stay-at-home mom with 2 small kids IS an active lifestyle!!

I also have naked fingers around the house. I am clumsy and whack my hands on the wall, pots, surfaces, etc. I know this because when I do have on a ring I hear it clank every now and then.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree with what's been posted on not wearing the ring while doing chores around the house. As far as spinning goes, it could be contributing to chips. My rings spin too so I found that wider settings reduce spinning for me. My current setting's shank is 3mm wide and the ring doesn't spin much. Thinner shanks are more popular but they spin on me.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

I chipped my diamond recently. I believe that I damaged it on the tub when I was bathing my boys. I am a SAHM to 3 y/o twin boys and used to wear my ring all the time until I chipped it. Now, I try only wear my ring when I go out or a few hours in the evening after the boys are in bed and the dishes are done.

My previous setting was a 4 prong and I am switching to a 6 prong. I will have to stick my diamond in a bezel if I chip it again.

I also wear a plain band or a small bezeled diamond band around the house or out and about if I know that my day with the boys will be super active.

Also, don't be embarrassed to tell your hubby. I am sure that he will be supportive and may be a big help when you decide on a new setting or a change in your e-ring wearing habits.

Hugs.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy|1422554643|3823945 said:
I agree with the above ladies.

In addition. Regardless of what you think about your activities, clearly you are doing something that is causing these chips. I don't wear my engagement ring at home. I only wear them out.

I do not wear it to wash dishes, to clean, to the shower, I don't wear it when I sleep (I have chipped a diamond in my halo once because I hit it on my nighstand because I am a fitful sleeper), I don't wear it to work out, I don't wear it in the pool or the ocean, and I don't wear it when I garden.

My wedding band I wear 24/7. My engagement ring. No.

This is what I try to do! Sage advice :)

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

All of the above. I have never worn my ring in the house, even before having a kid. Housework and wrangling pets and little ones is hard, hands-on work. The ring comes off pretty much as soon as I walk in the door (including the wedding band so the platinum ages evenly). The rings are locked in my desk if I go to the gym. They stayed home when I took art classes. Luckily (I guess ETA: at least from a ring-wearing/viewing perspective) I get to wear them all day at my desk job. If you want to wear your ring all the time at home, I would personally go for a low bezeled solitaire setting since you have to replace the stone anyway. These can still be very pretty and sparkly! Swoopy prongs are lovely, but not nearly protective enough if you're working with your hands. Good luck!

RaspberryBliss

Rough_Rock

So sorry, I've been there myself. I found a very small chip on the girdle of my 1.5 ct. marquise diamond a couple years back. I have always been careful, but somehow it happened. Luckily it was insured and I replaced it with a 1.52 BGD round. I have my diamond set in a 6 prong setting because, I am afraid it will happen again. The 6 prongs cover a bit more of the girdle than 4 do. I like to keep the 12 and 6 o'clock parts of the girdle covered in case I accidentally ram my hand into something. ;( :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results