shape
carat
color
clarity

I''ve been stupid - but please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I think you assumed wrong about the price. When you said even exchange, that said to me RB intends to leave the original purchase price in place.

I wouldn't take either deal myself. I have a thing about who I spend my money with. I want to feel that a reputable dealer, offering a quality product has earned my trust and my business. In your case, I don't feel RB has been reputable, offered a quality product, or earned your trust and business. Just MHO.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Melis, it would be easier to help you if we understood what you goal was. Is your goal to get an ideal-cut diamond, or is your goal to get a "fair" price on the one you have? In other words, would you settle for the 64% depth diamond if the price was right?

I personally wouldn't accept anything less than a full refund....because my goal would be to get an ideally cut, eyeclean stone, and neither of these stones are that. For me, my goal was to get an AGS 0 stone, so pushing for a reduction on a stone that doesn't meet that criteria would be a waste of time for me. But that's me.....I don't really know what's important to you, and it hasn't really been made clear.

You asked what we thought; the greatest majority of us suggested pressing for a full refund. I'd have to assume that you didn't find that advice useful since you're still negotiating pricing on the 64% depth diamond, so perhaps it would help us all to understand what your goal is so we can provide input that would be useful.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
1) No. Sorry, but I didn't think you wanted to keep a crappy cut stone?

2) This stone is going to be somewhat nice but is still not ideal. And even exchange means for what you originally paid. So don't assume they are giving you the $5500 deal on this 2nd stone, I highly doubt it. This pav angle is what is making the stone 'off'...and great symmetry will most likely not be apparent on this stone either.

In the end the decision is yours. As AL noted, most of us would have just gotten our money back and gone somewhere else. But since you are still hassling with them...you can only make a decision you'd be happy with.

We just ordered $2k worth of blinds and they came in the wrong color. The company offered us a discount if we kept the ones in the wrong color, bone vs alabaster and I said no. Why? Because we weren't after a discount. We wanted what we ordered. What we paid for. Even though the wrong color ones were very close to what we ordered. It's NOT what we ordered. That is what we are getting. That is what you should be fighting for.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/4/2004 3:42:55 PM pqcollectibles wrote:

I wouldn't take either deal myself. I have a thing about who I spend my money with. I want to feel that a reputable dealer, offering a quality product has earned my trust and my business. In your case, I don't feel RB has been reputable, offered a quality product, or earned your trust and business. ----------------

Right on the money....exactly what I was trying to say. I can't imagine why anyone would want to continue doing business with an outfit that has tried to fleece them in the first place.

PQ, your answer reflects exactly what I was going to say but didn't (because I couldn't find a gentle way to say it.) Why ask what we think again? We shared what we think----get a refund and find a better vendor to deal with. That advice is unlikely to change because the initial conduct of the vendor cannot be altered.

melis6886

Rough_Rock
You're right, guys. I need to know what my goal is... and I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

That was a very good point in Aljdewey: I can't imagine why anyone would want to continue doing business with an outfit that has tried to fleece them in the first place.

Feel free to knock some sense into me (sometimes it takes more then one knocking). But I understand now. I guess I was trying to work with them and in one way or another, I've been blinded by the discount offer. But the truth is the diamond was not what I wanted and I don't know why I'm settling. I will push for a refund. They are not worth my business.

Sometimes I just really need a good hit in the head, you know? Aljdewey: feel free to say whatever's on your mind - I know you mean well
1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Melis, I read a book once about the psychology of money and how people decide to spend money. I will probably not explain this correctly, but people tend to want to stick with the first place they find. For example, if the first diamond you seriously considered was from this store, this store stays at the top of your priority list in your mind. All other diamonds will be compared to the one you almost bought from here. And people want to stay with their first choice of stores. For example, when I fantasize about upgrading the diamond in my wedding ring, I always look at SuperbCert's site before I go to GOG or Whiteflash or one of the others. It may be because I'm happy with my purchase from SuperbCert, but it also is probably because I consider SuperbCert "my" store. It's the first one I dealt with.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I can understand you wanting to try to work things out with the store that you consider "your" store. But...get over it!
3.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/22/2004 11:23:09 PM derekinla wrote:

This is directly from their website: www.robbinsbros.com

'Best Price Promise If within 30 days you find a better price anywhere else we pay you the difference or give you a full refund. We're that confident.'

----------------

I agree with what the others have posted -- that you should get a full refund if you can. Are you still within 30 days of the original purchase? The store having you waive your right to a refund in exchange for them paying the sales tax sounds pretty sleazy -- does your receipt actually say you waived your right to receive a refund within the 30 day window? If your receipt says "no refunds," then you might have a harder time getting your credit card company to reverse the charge because it sounds like RB has now honored the other half of their "Best Price Promise" (i.e., they offered you a price reduction to what you would have paid for a comparable stone elsewhere). I'm saying this not to discourage you from trying to get a refund from the store, but because I am concerned that if your reciept says "no refunds" and you refuse their price reduction offer and tell them you are going to have your CC company reverse the charge instead, you might find out later that your CC company won't do it and then you are stuck with the stone and no price reduction.

However, if your receipt does not say "no refunds" then you should be able to rely on the written policy posted on their website. If you are past the 30 day window, I would still press for a refund or credit card chargeback. Document in your letter to the credit card company all the dates on which you called or went in to RB to try to get a refund or a properly cut stone. Tell the CC company that you tendered the stone to RB for return and refund within the 30 day period (give a specific date if you know it), but RB told you to keep the stone while they searched for a replacement that met your criteria (so it is clear RB induced you to exceed the 30 day return window). Tell the CC company that you again tendered the stone for return on the date when you next go into the store (which should be tomorrow) because RB was unable to provide a replacement that met your criteria after X number of days and attempts and that RB refused to accept the return (if they do) and that you would therefore like to have the charge reversed and stand ready to return the stone to RB whenever they will accept it. (It is important with CC chargebacks to emphasize that you returned the merchandise or attempted to return but the vendor refused.)

Good luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 2/4/2004 4:36:38 PM melis6886 wrote:

Aljdewey feel free to say whatever's on your mind - I know you mean well
1.gif

----------------

Good, because I really do mean well and want to help!

9.gif

Bottom line is this: Don't, don't, DON'T *settle* for any stone. You need to get what your heart desires (within your budget, etc.). Trust me on this.....if you settle, you will always have regrets when you look at your stone, and that's not what you want. You want to look at your stone and be thrilled every time; to fall in love with it over and over again.

I realize that RB is pressuring you, but this is an important purchase. It's not like sucking up a bad haircut or a sweater you really don't care for, etc. This is a big deal. If they are giving you this much trouble now, what's gonna happen if something goes awry down the line?

The best way to vote for or support great business practices is to place your money with those vendors who adopt them. Vendors who understand how emotional and important this purchase is to you. Vendors who recognize that you don't just flip $6-7K around every day like a rock star and who appreciate how hard-earned your money is. Outside of a car or a house, this is probably the single biggest item you'll purchase. That deserves respect.

You shouldn't get "second best" for that amount of money. You should get the absolute best you can......whatever that means to you.....cut, color, clarity, etc. Clearly, RB isn't viewing it this way....and they've been given ample opportunity. It's time to call it a day with them and spend your time more wisely---investing that energy looking for the right stone for you!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Good for you, Melis! You should get a marvelous diamond and a beautiful ring no matter where you choose to buy. This Vendor has been less than reputable with you and does not deserve your hard earned money.

$$=hours of your life and should buy Value in a purchase. You are right to get the best Value possible.
1.gif

melis6886

Rough_Rock
Just got of the phone with the manager at RB - they agreed to take the ring back w/ a 3% processing fee.
I've asked them to fax me the exact amount of the fee, but I'm estimating it'll be around $250.

The good news is that they are giving a refund...but I'm not too sure on how I feel about the fee...I did not expect such a thing. They said they bent backwards to give me at refund even though I purchased it under the "corporate pricing plan" (discount given) and that there wasn't any money back guarantee. At this point, what else can I do? I don't know how to argue about this fee. Should I just accept the lost?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You might bring that up with your Credit Card company.

Supposedly, merchants don't get the 2.5% or 3% back from the CC companies. But think about it. You use your CC at Walmart and then return an item. Walmart credits your entire purchase amount. I've made large purchases on a CC and gotten the entire amount back when I returned an item.

Getting back as much money as you will be is GREAT, relatively speaking, but..... This was their mistake. $250 is $250, and if you can get that back too, it could be worth the effort. However, if you are tired of the whole run around, sometimes the hassle isn't worth the Bull Sh** Factor.

It's entirely up to you at this point. But now you'll be free to get a fabulous ring! And, you'll have a great story to tell with it.
1.gif
appl.gif
9.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I would accept the loss. I think that in light of the fact that you waived the money back guarantee, the fault was at least partly yours. Yes, they overcharged you on a poorly performing stone, but you were uninformed about what makes a good cut and what similar stones might go for elsewhere. You agreed to the price and thought the stone looked fine. Of course we hope that stores will make a point to inform their customers as much as possible, but they were under no legal obligation to as long as they didn't lie or purposefully mislead. I think that a $250 fee is reasonable for the all the work they put into setting the original stone, calling in new stones for a trade, negotiating a new deal, meeting with you, etc. In fact, I was wondering how badly the AGS0 SI1 was included -- it seemed like an option to me.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/4/2004 10:18:45 PM Kay wrote:

----------------
On 1/22/2004 11:23:09 PM derekinla wrote:

This is directly from their website: www.robbinsbros.com

'Best Price Promise If within 30 days you find a better price anywhere else we pay you the difference or give you a full refund. We're that confident.'

----------------

So what??!! They did a little extra leg work trying to keep/fix a botched sale. They have a written policy stating stating a Full Refund. Not a Refund less a $250 surcharge.
11.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just take the $250 loss. At this point it's really not worth any more hassle IMO...you've wasted too much precious time trying to work things out with them. The CC companies charge the merchant a fee every time they have a transaction with them, whether it's a sale or return. Seeems like they ate the first fee and want to charge you for the 2nd.

1.gif
Yay..refund!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/5/2004 5:44:42 PM Mara wrote:

Just take the $250 loss. At this point it's really not any more hassle ----------

vous?
6.gif
9.gif
Yeah, I'd take the loss also. It seems like there is a point to cut bait. But, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth they wouldn't refund it all. But, since you still haven't explained what a corporate transaction is or has to do w/ voiding the return right - maybe RB has a point.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I apologize, PG. I didn't realize how harsh that comment sounded until I read it.
15.gif

The $250 doesn't really seem worth the BS Factor at this point.
nono.gif

Dittos, Mara. Yayyy REFUND!!
9.gif

Gearhead

Rough_Rock
Whew..that was a handful.
Case closed
9.gif

....or is it?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
That's ok, PQ, I didn't even think it was harsh.
1.gif

I just agree that it wouldn't be worth the hassle . . . at least the store didn't tried to work with her afterwards and gave her most of her money back . . . it could have been worse!

Melis, we'll all be excited to see what you end up getting. It should be fun to go through the process knowing your p's and q's this time.
1.gif

melis6886

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to thank all of you for helping me through this process. I really appreciate all your thoughts and candidness; you guys were my guiding light. THANK YOU! Sorry this was such a delay.

In the end, I got my refund, minus the $250 processing fee. Needless to say, I've learned my lesson. Unfortunately, it had to be the hard way. Even though a refund was given, I have lost respect for Robbins Bros. What bothers me most was that I was told & given the impression that they only sell "proper" cut diamonds but yet the diamond I purchased was contrary to that. From the RB chart that I saw "proper" cut had depth of 63% and under. But the manager told me any diamond with depth of 68% and under are proper cut. Just something to be aware off.

To be fair, they did give a refund even though the money back garuantee was voided when I took the discount. The "no refund" was not written on my receipt, however. Just glad this is over, and it most certainly be different this time when we shop for my e-ring!

THANKS SO MUCH! This forum is great!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ew, 68% and under? That's just wrong.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Congrats, Melis!!
appl.gif
Now you can put that whole experience behind you and start to work on YOUR beautiful ring with a drop dead gorgeous rock that will be to die for!!
love.gif
2.gif
1.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear your ordeal is finally over! Keep us posted on your new diamond search!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I am glad to hear that everything is okay right now. Will you be shopping on the internet this time?
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes in life you just gotta punt. Glad things worked out for you in the end. Just going on principle, I'd balk at the $250, but in the bigger picture it was a fairly small price to pay to get rid of a costly nightmare.

All the best on your quest for the right stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results