shape
carat
color
clarity

I need moral support, guys... Shipping disaster

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
So some of you may know that I am in the process of upgrading my engagement ring with Good Old Gold. I decided to send it by Purolator through Canada Post. It was dropped off to a Canada Post outlet on Sunday afternoon. It should have gotten to GOG today. When I went to track the package online, the message said I needed to call Purolator regarding my package.

When I called, I was told that it has been deemed an "unacceptable shipment"! The Purolator guy asked me what it was. I said it was a ring. He said, "Oh, we don't ship jewellery." I just about died. The guy at Canada Post filled out the customs form for me! He knew exactly what was inside, but didn't inform me that it would just end up being deemed unacceptable. Obviously he didn't know, but still. Shouldn't these people KNOW these things? To add fuel to the fire, I had spoken on the phone with the central office of Canada Post TWICE and they said that shipping it would be fine, although I couldn't insure it through them (I am relying on the insurance I have on it as a rider to our apartment contents insurance). They are in the business of providing customer service! How could they not know this?

Now, the thing isn't labelled as a $5000 diamond ring or anything. But it is labelled as a ring. The insured value and the value listed for customs on the package is $200. I was trying to be honest about its contents so as not to attract too much customs suspicion if it got scanned or opened or something, but I didn't want to put the value so high as to make it tempting for theft. This seemed like a reasonable compromise to me.

Now, apparently, the package is supposed to be in some Purolator depot in Etobicoke, Ontario, but they are yet to locate it for sure. My tracing agent that I've been given at Purolator isn't all that helpful and seems to think that she won't be able to get back to me until tomorrow. TOMORROW?! I wanted to curse at her, but thought it would not help me case.

So they insist that the package will eventually find it's way back to me--Thursday? Friday? They just can't be sure! *#$@*

Anyway, here's hoping that I actually get it back. If not, I have a huge insurance claim on my hands, and that is so far from what I want.

In a fit of optimism, I called FedEx and told them my situation and asked them what method I should ship it by with them once I get it back. Because dammit, I want to upgrade this ring! The lady said to ship it as a document since documents sail right through customs. This seemed like a good idea. Any other thoughts? She also hinted that they've sent people's rings and labelled them as car keys or something (I'm just trying to keep my chin up here, guys).

Anyway, to all those who belive in a higher power--please pray for the safe passage of my ring back into my hands.

Fretfully yours,

Daniela

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Don't list it as jewelry through FedEx as they will only insure it for $500.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It would seem that this part... the back and forth until completion is far worse than the stress of picking it out.

B/c it's not even so much the insurance claim as all the hard work that you already put into it. Would you be able to find a replacement? Sure, probably... but who really wants to go through all that again?... so soon?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will get the ring back....Be confident. It is a most unfortunate thing to get stupid advice from someone who should or does know better. I sort of doubt your homeowners or tenants policy would pay for such a loss. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Do NOT misrepresent the contents when you next ship it. Why not cross the border and send it via US Post Office, Registered Mail with full insurance. It is SAFE. Other wise ther are few methods. Have you checked with UPS? They may offer you full coverage. Maybe Jonathan at GOG has a way to have it delivered with coverage...

Do not lie about contents or value......It will disappear and that will be the end of it.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Argh... I can empahthize with you! We've never had a client ship back to us from Canada so this is new to me. I am confident it'll get back to you too Daniela. If there is any way we can help with the shipping part of this please call our store and talk with Christen tomorrow and if there is *anything* we can do on this end we'll be happy to accommodate.

Warm regards,

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Ack! Those of us who ship jewelry every day know exactly how stressful it can be to have a package floating about out there... You can't ship the package insured via Fed Ex yourself because they don't offer sufficient coverage limits, but we're sure that Jonathan can assist you with having the package shipped to him on his account with the help of his shipping agent because we've been able to do so with ours... Heck, we'd be happy to help you do so if by chance Jonathan gets stuck on this 'cuz he's our bud
2.gif
and to be clear why we're saying this - we use different shipping companies to insure our Fed Ex packages and we've already trained ours to put up with this.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Daniela, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure you'll get it back safely. What a shame that there is no easy, safe way to ship a ring from Canada to the states. You should NOT have to lie to ship it.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your support, guys. When I undertook this process, I looked into UPS, FedEx, and Purolator. I asked tons of questions, and knew that there was no way to insure it for its full value. I then checked with my own insurance company, and they double-checked our policy and told me that yes, my diamond was insured anywhere in the world, even when I was away from it, and that I could ship it to my jeweller if I wanted to.

However, as for the shipping, what happened is that I used Purolator through Canada Post, and it appears that the one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing in that operation.

Jonathan, maybe you could call me tomorrow when you aren't with a customer? Perhaps we can do like Niceice suggested. That would be ideal. My fiance and I are now more than willing to drive across the border to make shipping easier (eliminating the customs issue), and then maybe we could ship it through you guys if you send us the right packaging or info? Thanks for being there for me.

Niceice, is there anything else we need to know about how to ship through the vendor? I am interested in hearing about your experiences.

Daniela

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Daniela, how awful for you. I too have faith that everything will be fine (said small diamond prayer). But in the meantime, you must be going absolutely nuts with worry. Who cares if it's insured, that's not the point. You want your ring, right? Take a deep breath and before you know it, it will be back in your hands. Keep us posted and try not to make yourself too crazy with the what ifs, okay?

Shay

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/12/2004 6:47:20 PM Daniela wrote:

Niceice, is there anything else we need to know about how to ship through the vendor? I am interested in hearing about your experiences.
----------------

The way that we've done it in the past is that we prepare the airbills and have the shipment approved in advance by our insurance company, then we send the airbills to our customer via Fed Ex along with instructions as to how we need the contents to be packaged in order to remain in compliance with the requirements of our insurance company... The airbills are prepared for a specific day and the package must be shipped out on that day or the insurance is void so we usually add a day or two between the day we expect our customer to receive the airbills and the day that we expect them to ship the package out... The package needs to be dropped off at a staffed Fed Ex location and the customer needs to wait while the package is scanned into the system, but should not disclose the contents of the package to the Fed Ex counter clerk for security reasons. It's a simple enough process. Your driving over the border to ship the package would certainly make it easier for Jonathan to assist you with the shipping because it eliminates the customs hassle and it really is a hassle! It takes us an extra 20 - 30 minutes to prepare a package for international shipment because of all the new customs requirements...

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Well, we'll see if I hear anything from Purolator today. I'm not entirely sure that my assigned tracing agent will call me. When I spoke to her yesterday she just sounded like she wanted to get rid of me.

Niceice, thanks for sharing that information with me. I'll check with GOG if that method could work for me. Are you really serious about being able to send me a shipping airbill if they can't? I can't get over how nice an offer that is.

Daniela

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
If you can drive across the border, do as Dave suggested. US registered mail is not the fastest way to ship; but, it's amoung the safest. You can insure an item up to $25,000.00.

I don't know the ins & outs of niceice's suggestion. Sounds like a good one though.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
The update is that Canada Post is supposedly both tracing the package and sending it back to me, but they are unable to locate it exactly at this time for some unknown reason.

I'm praying that it gets here tomorrow.

Daniela

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Daniela:

Canada Post, Jean Chretin, Group Action...hmmmmmm. As a fellow Canadian I emphathize.
But to paraphrase G. Rush..."Ah, all will turn out well". "How do you know? (reply)
"I don't...but it always does. (Shakespeare in Love).

Cheers

Sharon

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Daniela, I just saw your post about filing an insurance claim. I don't know the answers to how long a claim will take and how the details will work out, but I just want to say that I'm so sorry you don't have your ring back yet!

Hang in there...Maybe it will still arrive.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Patty. You're a sweetie.

This waiting is going to drive me crazy. I'm not getting anything done because I keep thinking about it. I'm also turning down an invitation to go out with friends tonight because I don't want to have to explain why I'm not wearing it and haven't been wearing it since Sunday. One of my friends is bound to notice(I know, if they're my friends, they'll understand, right? But I just am not up to it right now).

Now that the idiots at Canada Post have supposedly thrown the package in the with all the other regular mail (or so they are assuming, they don't actually KNOW where it is), if it gets here, there's no telling when that will be.

I have to say that I'm living some very bitter moments right now. A week ago I was dreaming about my upgrade, and now I'm having nightmares about replacing my whole ring!

Daniela

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Canada Post is a little slow. I know that it's nerve wracking, but chances are, they haven't lost it and you might still get it this week or next. Do whatever you need to do with the insurance company, but try not to worry too much. I had a stone in the mail which was supposed to take a few weeks to send. Instead, it took a month and a half to get to it's destination!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my God, pulp_princess. A month and a half? I don't have nerves that can stand that kind of wait! Or at the very least I'll develop an ulcer in the meantime.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Youch! I didn't realize Canadian shipping was such a rigamarole.
sad.gif
I am sorry to see you be inconvenienced like this Daniella.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto dat Rich. If you knew Daniella she is such a sweetheart and pleasure to talk with on the phone too. She's the last person I'd want to see go through this but I'm sure this will work itself out and get to her.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Or at the very least I'll develop an ulcer in the meantime.
-----------

This is a good example of what not to do. Curse yourself.

There's power in your words. Use them to build yourself up, instead of tear yourself down. Tell yourself you're going to get an ulcer, and sure enough, you'll get an ulcer.

Instead, tell yourself that your faith is growing stronger every day, so you can handle situations like this with no (or minimal) stress. Tell yourself that your health is strong, and your body well able to assimilate any stress harmlessly. Tell yourself that you've given this situation it's due amount of worry, and you will not give it any more.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/16/2004 11:46:12 AM Rhino wrote:

Ditto dat Rich. If you knew Daniella she is such a sweetheart and pleasure to talk with on the phone too. She's the last person I'd want to see go through this but I'm sure this will work itself out and get to her.----------------

Rhino, you really know how to make a person feel better when they are depressed. That's a very nice thing to say. One of my great pleasures in purchasing a diamond in the first place was corresponding and chatting with you.

Rhino and I had a long conversation one day where he told me all about the history of his family's business. I was enraptured.

This may seem funny to some people, but I actually made my decision as to which PS vendor to use based on personality (Jonathan's) more than anything else. I know, it's a funny way to buy a diamond.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 5/16/2004 11:54:22 AM Richard Sherwood wrote:

-----------

-----------

There's power in your words. Use them to build yourself up, instead of tear yourself down. Tell yourself you're going to get an ulcer, and sure enough, you'll get an ulcer.

Instead, tell yourself that your faith is growing stronger every day, so you can handle situations like this with no (or minimal) stress. Tell yourself that your health is strong, and your body well able to assimilate any stress harmlessly. Tell yourself that you've given this situation it's due amount of worry, and you will not give it any more.

----------------

Wow, Richard is not only a savvy diamond appraiser, but is also sharp as a whip in the area of human psychology. Who needs a shrink when they have Pricscope!

I will try not to worry. I've actually been feeling much better this weekend after I adopted more of a que sera sera attitutude. But it's still eating at me a little bit. *trying to think positive thoughts*

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 5/16/2004 11:54:22 AM Richard Sherwood wrote:

-----------
-----------

----------------

Good message in church today?
1.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 5/16/2004 12:02:17 PM Daniela wrote:

Rhino and I had a long conversation one day where he told me all about the history of his family's business. I was enraptured.

This may seem funny to some people, but I actually made my decision as to which PS vendor to use based on personality (Jonathan's) more than anything else. I know, it's a funny way to buy a diamond.

----------------

No, I don't think it's a funny way to buy a diamond. A large part of the purchase is feeling comfortable that your needs are being addressed and that you will be taken care of. It's part of good communication and building a good working relationship. There have been times when I felt a vendor wasn't listening to me, only trying to sell to me. In these cases, I didn't care what they had or how much it was, I wasn't going buy from them.

Good luck on your shipment. Hoping all works out for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results