shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m obsessing....Please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stujin

Rough_Rock
Someone please help me...I''m obsessing again. I have already purchased the first diamond described below and am planning to give the diamond to my girlfriend tonight actually. I can''t quit looking at diamonds online though....I stayed up till 4AM this morning and have found another one at Bluenile I am really interested in. But why am I even looking. I think I just need someone to tell me to stop. The two diamonds below are within $100 of each other after discounts, etc. I have already purchased the first one from Mondera but it was GIA certed and doesn''t have the crown, pavillion, etc. information. The second is AGS certed. I was wondering your thoughts on the two compared. I am still working on getting the additional information for my stone, but since I didn''t find pricescope until I had already purchased I had no idea that GIA did not give all of the information. And I was so excited when I got the stone in that I rushed to my jeweler to have it set in my new Superbcert tiffany setting. Now, I can''t get the SARIN information on it. The second one I plugged in to the HCA and got a 1.5 with excellent, very good, very good, very good. WOW..I bet it is awesome as well. I love my diamond but do you think this one is that much better? Maybe it isn''t but I do know that this one will sparkle. Gosh...I''m crazy. Please put my mind at ease....I should just go with the fact that I am an amateur, but I just feel so much more educated after participating in Pricescope over the past few days. AHHHH!!!

Diamond I own already:

Shape: Round
Weight: 1.51 CARATS
Cut Grade: Ideal
Color Grade: J
Clarity Grade: VS2

Laboratory: GIA
Certificate No: 13563018
Measurements: 7.35-7.47x4.59mm
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly thick
Culet: NONE
Polish: EXCELLENT
Symmetry: EXCELLENT
Fluorescence: Strong blue

Diamond I don''t Own but may want:
Carat weight: 1.51

Cut: Ideal

Color: J

Clarity: SI1

Depth %: 60.6%

Table %: 56%

Symmetry: Ideal

Polish: Ideal

Girdle: Thin to medium

Culet: Pointed

Fluorescence: Strong

Measurements: 7.47x7.48x4.53 mm

Crown: 34.3 degrees
Pavillion: 41.0 degrees

stujin

Rough_Rock
Another question I had is regarding the measurements. The diamond I don''t own has really good measurements but mine has a little gap between the two. Do you think this would be enough to notice to the naked eye? Thanks!

acarr55

Rough_Rock
I don''t know much about diamonds either, I just joined the forum, but I would say to go with the one you have, it has better clarity, excellent polish/sym, and Ideal cut...that sounds like the whole package...the girdle may be a little big but that only really affects the setting when the jeweler is mounting it...so I''ve heard..My Aunt who is a jewelry salesperson at an upscale store said that GIA certified is the best and that they are pretty acurate...

Good Luck!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the diamond you DO own has good measurements too!
no, you will not notice the ''gap'' as you call it. there is a miniscule difference.
the beautiful diamond that you already own, that you''ve already taken out and compared to other beautiful diamonds, is practically the same as the one you don''t own.
you have a beautiful stone. now go propose!!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a just a consumer but does the diamond you own have ''Excellent'' written on the certificate for polish and symmetry as I have read here that GIA very rarely gives an Excellent so that would be a rare thing in itself.

Another thought, if you saw the SI1 you may not like the clarity, have you seen a plot of the inclusions.

Can you even return the other diamond anyway, do you have time left, not that there is any reason to do so from what people have posted?

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2005 10:04:24 AM
Author: Pyramid
I am a just a consumer but does the diamond you own have ''Excellent'' written on the certificate for polish and symmetry as I have read here that GIA very rarely gives an Excellent so that would be a rare thing in itself.

Another thought, if you saw the SI1 you may not like the clarity, have you seen a plot of the inclusions.

Can you even return the other diamond anyway, do you have time left, not that there is any reason to do so from what people have posted?

Is this true in bold? I haven''t heard that anywhere...Curious..

laughinggravy

Shiny_Rock
Hi - look this may not help at all because what you maybe looking for is a cut expert''s contribution. Lord knows I''m no expert. The stone seems a real winner which is great.

But at the risk of sounding a hopeless romantic, although the figures are fine tool for helping you to make a decision long distance the really cool thing is that you were excited by it''s beauty, by what it represents and that you''re going to give this to the only woman you want to share your life with.

Here, in Europe, it''s 6pm. I have no idea what time it is where you are, but maybe, right now, on the other side of the Atlantic from me, you''re making someone feel like she''s walking on air. When my sweetness proposed to me it was without a ring, and I was blown away. When the ring came, I couldn''t stop looking at it and for months and months afterwards, I felt loved and warm inside just by looking at it.

Dear, take it from me, I wasn''t looking for MICroscopic differences in light return. I was looking at the manifestation of his love for me. And so will she.

Time to pat yourself on the back for a job wonderfully done and focus on the joy that''s before you.
2.gif

Abi

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I too tend to obsess about much more minor things in my life than an engagement ring
20.gif
, and I know it''s difficult not to second guess yourself on such a major purchase.

That said, the 2 stones you referenced seem very similar to me. I''m no expert, but the differences between the 2 stones seem miniscule to me. You already have your stone & love how it looks. That''s what counts!

I agree w/ belle & laughinggravy. You have a wonderful stone in a gorgeous setting (those Superbcert Tiffany settings are stunning!) Now go give it to your girlfriend!
9.gif

And don''t forget to post pics of the ring on her finger!!
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
So, did you propose, stujin? We can''t wait to hear!
36.gif

stujin

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 9:03:05 AM
Author: BrightSpot
So, did you propose, stujin? We can''t wait to hear!
36.gif
I did. We actually just checked out of the hotel a little while ago. It was amazing. I didn''t even get a chance to read your replies yesterday, but thank you all for all of the help. It was amazing. She loves the ring, I love the ring, It is absolutely stunning. We stayed at the nicest hotel in Louisville last night and its a common place where people propose. The hotel operations manager brought us a bottle of champagne at dinner and congratulated me on a purchase that he said was one of the top that he has ever seen at the hotel. He was blown away by the diamond. Everyone was. She has been screaming non-stop since 6:30PM last night when I gave it to her. It was an absolutely amazing night.

I''ll be sure to post pictures soon and send you all links. I wanted to wait to have it on her finger before taking the pictures. Thank you all again! You have been fantastic. You''ll soon be hearing from all of my friends that are in the same process...I am spreading the word about this great forum. Thanks again!

stujin

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2005 10:04:24 AM
Author: Pyramid

I''m not sure about the rarity of this, but the GIA certificate does say Excellent, Excellent. From doing my research...I don''t think this affects the sparkle of the diamond to the human eye. The main reason I would only accept this is more for a personal taste. My fiance (wow first time I''ve wrote that) is kind of picky when it comes to symmetry especially. Not so much in Diamonds..she would have never been able to tell if it were very good or even good. But she only likes things that are symmetrical. She is so picky that she won''t even let me wear some of my favorites shirts that are striped because the stripes don''t match up and aren''t symmetrical. She''s funny. I love her for it.

stujin

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/23/2005 12:02:51 PM
Author: laughinggravy
Hi - look this may not help at all because what you maybe looking for is a cut expert''s contribution. Lord knows I''m no expert. The stone seems a real winner which is great.

But at the risk of sounding a hopeless romantic, although the figures are fine tool for helping you to make a decision long distance the really cool thing is that you were excited by it''s beauty, by what it represents and that you''re going to give this to the only woman you want to share your life with.

Here, in Europe, it''s 6pm. I have no idea what time it is where you are, but maybe, right now, on the other side of the Atlantic from me, you''re making someone feel like she''s walking on air. When my sweetness proposed to me it was without a ring, and I was blown away. When the ring came, I couldn''t stop looking at it and for months and months afterwards, I felt loved and warm inside just by looking at it.

Dear, take it from me, I wasn''t looking for MICroscopic differences in light return. I was looking at the manifestation of his love for me. And so will she.

Time to pat yourself on the back for a job wonderfully done and focus on the joy that''s before you.
2.gif

Abi
That is excellent advice and I appreciate your help and support. I do think I made a fantastic decision. Read my earlier response as well. It was an absolutely fantastic night. It will only be topped by our wedding day. Thanks again!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats stujin!
36.gif
can''t wait to see that ring!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Stujin,

Congratulations, of course, and best wishes to you and your fiance.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh Stu!

I''m so happy for you.
Congrats!
36.gif

I can''t wait to see the ring.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Stujin, congratulations! I''m just grinning ear-to-ear reading your post!
36.gif

It sounds like you made your fiancee one happy lady last night. I''m thrilled for you guys!

Now, I can''t wait to see pics of this stunning ring!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results