shape
carat
color
clarity

I''m new, just starting to look, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I have been lurking for a while. My boyfriend and I have decided that we will be getting engaged toward the end of the year (decemberish I think). We have gone in several jewelry stores and I have tried on different types of things and here is what I am finding:
I am a size 5.5 (I always thought I was a 7)
BF thinks I need between 1.5 and 2 carats
I love cushion cuts
So far, I like Christopher Designs, JB Star, Simon G (I have not seen these in a store-only online)
I like rings that have a lot going on, but not the traditional 3 stone ring.
I like yellow and pink diamonds when they are small accents.

We found a jeweler in CT who can create jewelery based on a description we give him, or he can make it from a picture we bring in so we think this is the best option (opinions??)to save on the price.

We live in CT but work in NY and we will be going into the city tomorrow to do some real looking. I have no idea where to start because I have heard that some of the traditional stores on 5th are not trustworthy vendors.

I know based on the online selection of firenze that I''d like to stop by.

I''m sorry if I posted this to the wrong forum-I am really not sure where to be posting and where to start. All input is appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I went in tiffanys and expected something different. I was not blown away by the selection and I felt that the pricing was terrible when compared with pricing at other stores.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi coco!

I would suggest checking out Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com as he has an excellent eye for a cushion! Also Jon at www.goodoldgold.com has found some lovely cushions, they are in Long Island if that is convenient for you.

These guys will take great care of you , so if you like the idea, contact them to tell them what you are looking for and to make an appointment.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/29/2008 9:06:43 AM
Author: Lorelei
Hi coco!

I would suggest checking out Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com as he has an excellent eye for a cushion! Also Jon at www.goodoldgold.com has found some lovely cushions, they are in Long Island if that is convenient for you.

These guys will take great care of you , so if you like the idea, contact them to tell them what you are looking for and to make an appointment.
I concur. I would first get a good idea of what you want in terms of shape (square vs. rectangle), have a budget in mind (allow for $2-3K for setting, more if you want big sidestones), check out modified vs. brilliant and see what you prefer, and then call Mark. Jon also has a nice inventory of cushions you can see online and I highly recommend his videos. But Mark is right on 5th Ave and 47th Street and works late so is available to meet after work once you have an idea of what you want and he can pull a few stones for you.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
great advice!! i have never seen a cushette before and its gorgeous!!!!!!! Any idea of the pricing of cushette diamonds? I really prefer the more square cushions to the rectangular ones.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
has anybody posted pictures of rings that have been created by Mark?

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
We went yesterday and most stores were closed!! I did make it into Michael C Fina which was a really great experience. The sales associate was knowledgeable and she really explained things to me. I found 2 rings I really liked, both very different, and neither was a cushion.

The first is a round diamond on a diamond band. I did not like the engagement ring alone, but the ring with the wedding band was really beautiful. The one I tried had a 1.7 carat round:
http://www.michaelbjewelry.com/collection_princess_new.html

This was really beautiful. The one I tried had a 2.03 carat Emerald center stone.
http://www.jbstar.com/products.php?category=9&page=8&product=1926

I never realized that I like the traditional round or the emerald stones. The rings are so completely different but I love both of them. I guess the good news is that I could be happy with several different rings, but my poor boyfriend has no idea what to do!

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The mfr''s you named make lovely ornate settings. I''d make every effort to get the exact setting you love, rather than go custom, as w/ settings like this, 1) you may not save much $ due to the labor involved and 2) you may not be happy w/ the end result if your jeweler isn''t skilled w/ the more elaborate settings. I''d definitely want to see their work to ensure they are capable, and make sure they can provide CADs and allow for feedback and so forth in the process, and find out what your options would be if you didn''t love the finished product.

Also, check online and see who carries those brands and call around to find the best prices. I had my heart set on a pair of tiny Roberto Coin diamond hoops that were $1800, more than I wanted to pay, but I just couldn''t find quite the same qualities in another pair, and after calling around a bit I was able to find them at $1475
36.gif

BTW, I am jealous that you get to go to Firenze and I can''t. I love browsing their site, they have such beautiful things. I also visited Tiffany''s for the 1st time recently, and while I didn''t fall in love w/ the erings I saw, (though I''ve seen so many stunning ones here on PS), particularly considering the price, I did find some lovely and more affordable pendants and bracelets that left me plotting crazy ways to obtain them
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results